Why did Democrats fight so hard against Civil right legislation?

Why did Democrats fight so hard against Civil right legislation?

Why do wingnuts kep bringing up this stupid talking point?

Because they are stupid people. Every walk of life, every area of human interest, has its stupid people...

...conservatives are the stupid people of politics.

Well...some of them certainly are.

But the cons don't have the exclusive franchise on stupid.

They're just very very good at it.

teepee sammy said:
George Wallace never changed parties.

Yes he did. He tried getting the Pres nom on the American Independent Party ticket. Pro-Segregation was the hallmark. He wasn't going to get the democrats in 1968 with that slogan, but he did carry five Southern states.

And let's take a look at how the earlier, 1964 George Wallace spoke:
"...It was left-wing radicals who led the fight in the Senate for the so-called civil rights bill now about to enslave our nation....

. . . . Whoever heard of truth put to the worst in free and open encounter? We couldn't get the truth to the American people. You and I know that that's extremely difficult to do where our newspapers are owned by out-of-state interests. Newspapers which are run and operated by left-wing liberals, Communist sympathizers, and members of the Americans for Democratic Action and other Communist front organizations with high sounding names.

However, we will not be intimidated by the vultures of the liberal left-wing press. We will not be deceived by their lies and distortions of truth. We will not be swayed by their brutal attacks upon the character and reputation of any honest citizen who dares stand up and fight for liberty."

Conservatives of this nation constitute the balance of power in presidential elections.
I am a conservative.

I intend to give the American people a clear choice. I welcome a fight between our philosophy and the liberal left-wing dogma which now threatens to engulf every man, woman, and child in the United States. "
You can read the rest here: George C. Wallace, "The Civil rights Movement" | July 4, 1964 | AMDOCS: Documents for the Study of American History

So who was he appealing to in 1964?

Last edited:
Democrats keep saying that they are the diversity party but if you can read a history book, you know that no one fought harder against freeing the slaves, civil rights legislation and current prosperity of african americans than the Democrat party, so I ask, because i am here to learn, why do democrats hate black people with all their heart and soul, creating institutions like planned parenthood to kill black people at will with government tax payer funding, destroying the black family and leaving them poor and destitute?

your thoughts are welcomed

My thoughts are that declaring the Democratic or Republican Parties of a century ago are the same parties that we have today is either telling us that you are very very dumb, or very very dishonest.

Which is it, Rac?

Are you very stupid or are you just another partisan troll?

they're not mutually exclusive terms

Southern Democrats voted against Civil Rights
Southern Republicans voted against Civil Rights

In the US South, if you wanted to be elected to anything above dog catcher, you had to be against Civil Rights

Because that was before the conservatives fled the Democratic Party and became the bulk of the Republican Party. Which is why the Republican Party is 90% white and spends most of it's time attacking other Americans.

That is a lie liberals keep telling, but you look at the three men who filibustered the Civil Rights Act of 1964. ALL REMAINED DEMOCRATS TO THEIR DEATH!

Robert Byrd never changed parties!

Al Gore Sr. never changed parties

Connoly never changed parties.

George Wallace never changed parties.

You look at all the men who were big in promoting segregation and the ONLY person they can name who switched parties was Strom Thurmond.

Strom Thurmond was hardly as big in the movement against Civil rights as say George Wallace who stood in front of a school and tried to stop black people from entering the school.

Bull Conner never changed parties.

This mantra from the liberals is built entirely on a lie.

Nice try libs, but the facts don't fit, your fiction.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Of course all Democrats in the south didn’t joint the Republican Party. However, the Republican Party made huge gains in the South due to the Civil Rights movement. Many southern Democrats left the party, never to return. Before the Civil Rights Act, the Democrats won a majority of Southern States in every presidential election since 1877 except for 1928 and 1956. After the Civil Rights Act, Republicans carried the South in every presidential election except for Cartier and Clinton. Southern Democrats movement to the Republican Party turned the political map red in the South.

Although the Republican Party rejected southern Republicans views on segregation, their stand on states rights found a home in the Republican Party, which exists today.

BTW George Wallace remained in the party principally to oppose Democrats. He ran for president in 1968 as a candidate for the American Independent Party. Again in 1972 he ran again on his state rights and law and order platform.

Last edited:
The Civil Rights movement caused a huge change in American politics. Southern Democrats believed the party leadership, Truman, Kennedy, and Johnson were intent on destroying the culture of the old South. A hundred years of traditions were threatened. Some deserted the party and became Republicans. Others just never voted for another Democrat.

States Rights and Christianity were near and dear to the hearts of southern Democrats. Since before the Civil War Southerners were the champions of States Rights. When the federal government sent troops and federal marshals into the south to enforce integration, Southerners saw it as a second invasion of the South, an unconstitutional violation of states rights. The Southern Stratergy of winning elections in Southern states by exploiting anti-African American racism among Southern white voters and appealing to states' rights worked so well it became a permanent part of Republican presidential campaigns. Reagan’s campaign against an oversized federal government usurping the power of the states hit just right note with southern supporters.

No place in the country was Christianity so strong as it was in the South, particularly the Bible Belt. The Republican plan to court Christians in 1980 was a huge success in the South. In fact, it was so successful; it became a part of every Republican presidential campaign.

The Civil Rights movement caused a huge change in American politics. Southern Democrats believed the party leadership, Truman, Kennedy, and Johnson were intent on destroying the culture of the old South. A hundred years of traditions were threatened. Some deserted the party and became Republicans. Others just never voted for another Democrat.

States Rights and Christianity were near and dear to the hearts of southern Democrats. Since before the Civil War Southerners were the champions of States Rights. When the federal government sent troops and federal marshals into the south to enforce integration, Southerners saw it as a second invasion of the South, an unconstitutional violation of states rights. The Southern Stratergy of winning elections in Southern states by exploiting anti-African American racism among Southern white voters and appealing to states' rights worked so well it became a permanent part of Republican presidential campaigns. Reagan’s campaign against an oversized federal government usurping the power of the states hit just right note with southern supporters.

No place in the country was Christianity so strong as it was in the South, particularly the Bible Belt. The Republican plan to court Christians in 1980 was a huge success in the South. In fact, it was so successful; it became a part of every Republican presidential campaign.

Do you mean recently, or for the entire lifespan of the US?

Do you mean recently, or for the entire lifespan of the US?
I think Christianity was much stronger in South in mid 20th century relative to other sections of the country. However, Christianity is still very strong in the South compared to other sections.

Mississippi is the most religious state in America, according to a new survey that took a look at religious practices across the country. Eighty-two percent of those surveyed in Mississippi said religion is very important in their lives.

Alabama and Arkansas tied for second with 74 percent, just ahead of Louisiana and Tennessee.

At the bottom of the list: Vermont and New Hampshire with only 36 percent. The rest of New England, Alaska, and Colorado were also among the least religious states.

Is Your State the Most or Least Religious? - US - CBN News - Christian News 24-7 - CBN.com

So wait? MLK was a christian republican?

And the civil rights movement was really a christian movement that democrat athiest commie scum took credit for even until this day?

So wait? MLK was a christian republican?

And the civil rights movement was really a christian movement that democrat athiest commie scum took credit for even until this day?
MLK was defiantly a Christian. I don’t believe he had much to say about a party affiliation, but it only makes sense that he would have voted for the Democratic presidential candidates and Republican candidates in local elections.

For blacks in the South, the movement was definitely a Christian movement. But for most whites in the South, Civil Rights was synonymous with integration which was a movement sent straight from Hell supported by the federal government.

Democrats keep saying that they are the diversity party but if you can read a history book, you know that no one fought harder against freeing the slaves, civil rights legislation and current prosperity of african americans than the Democrat party, so I ask, because i am here to learn, why do democrats hate black people with all their heart and soul, creating institutions like planned parenthood to kill black people at will with government tax payer funding, destroying the black family and leaving them poor and destitute?

Rachel, I skipped over a few responses. Have you figured out the party flip on the issue yet? This really is not a secret or much debated part of history.

What you don't seem to understand is that northern Democrats and souther Democrats were in total disagreement over civil rights. The civil rights issue effectively purged the Democratic party of most of the segregationist and states rights supports. The Republican Southern Strategy brought many of them into the Republican party. Others supported the American Independent Party or just remained in the Democratic Party and voted Republican.

The civil rights issue caused a major change in both parties. Democrats became the civil rights party attacking blacks and other minorities. The Republican Party became the states rights party opposing the growth of the federal government and supporting more state control.

The reason might become more clear if I tell you that I was a registered Republican dating back to Barry Goldwater and that I thought of myself as a Conservative for all those years. But in 2003 I realized that the Republican party had been hijacked by incipient fascists, beginning with the dimwit puppet, Ronald Reagan, and that the nature of Conservatism had mutated into something rather stupid and ugly. So I re-registered as a Democrat.

The only reason I registered Democrat is New Jersey has no Independent Party and I wish to vote in primaries, which requires registration in one of the two existing parties. But rest assured I have no respect for the Democratic Party or most of its leadership.

The bottom line is time marches on and it affects all things, including the fundamental nature of political parties.

White Southern Christian Conservatives occupied the Democrat party until liberals got civil rights legislation passed. Then the GOP opened their racist arms to all the crackers and their hateful prejudices.

Don't take my word for it, take the word of a Chairman of the GOP, Ken Mehlman

RNC Chief to Say It Was 'Wrong' to Exploit Racial Conflict for Votes
Jul 14, 2005 – It was called "the southern strategy," started under Richard M. Nixon in ... Ken Mehlman, the Republican National Committee chairman, this ...

White Southern Christian Conservatives occupied the Democrat party until liberals got civil rights legislation passed. Then the GOP opened their racist arms to all the crackers and their hateful prejudices.

Don't take my word for it, take the word of a Chairman of the GOP, Ken Mehlman

RNC Chief to Say It Was 'Wrong' to Exploit Racial Conflict for Votes
Jul 14, 2005 – It was called "the southern strategy," started under Richard M. Nixon in ... Ken Mehlman, the Republican National Committee chairman, this ...

When the argument is framed as Democrats versus Republicans a fog clouds the truth that the problems were about a type of conservatism versus progress and liberalism

Last edited:

SOUTHERN Democrats and SOUTHERN Republicans fought against civil rights. A Democrat President signed the 1965 Civil Rights Bill and predicted the SOUTHERN Democrats would run to the Republican Party. He was right....their Segregation was more important than being Democrat.

Forum List

Back