What do Republicans know about Dwight D. Eisenhower?

R

rdean

We know he was the last Republican president to balance the budget. How did he do it? How can Reagan be elevated over Eisenhower? What does the right know about him? Do they see him as a "hero"? What would he think of today's Republicans and the Tea Party?

240x240_eisenhower.jpg

What would he think of today's Republicans and the Tea Party?
He would see no difference between Republicans and Democrats. He would view the T.E.A. Party as small government advocates that he could probably agree with.

Dwight D. Eisenhower - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Although Conservatism was riding on the crest of the wave in the 1950s, and Eisenhower shared the sentiment, his administration played a very modest role in shaping the political landscape. Instead of adhering to the party's right-wing orthodoxy, Eisenhower instead looked to moderation and cooperation as a means of governance.This was evidenced in his goal of slowing the growth of New Deal/Fair Deal-era government programs, but not weakening them or rolling them back entirely.

"An unwise tax cutter, my fellow citizens, is no real friend of the taxpayer."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower” -in his refusal to lower the top tax rate from 92%! Now its 35% and today's GOP wants it cut to 25%!

A friend sent me this in an email.

We know he was the last Republican president to balance the budget. How did he do it? How can Reagan be elevated over Eisenhower? What does the right know about him? Do they see him as a "hero"? What would he think of today's Republicans and the Tea Party?

240x240_eisenhower.jpg

funny-gifs-celebration-fail.gif

nixon balanced the budget in 1969.

rdean fails.........again

What do democrats know about "give'em hell" Harry Truman? He was so unpopular after the debacle of Korea that he couldn't even get the nomination in his own party to run for a full 2nd term.

"An unwise tax cutter, my fellow citizens, is no real friend of the taxpayer."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower” -in his refusal to lower the top tax rate from 92%! Now its 35% and today's GOP wants it cut to 25%!

A friend sent me this in an email.
How much did the Treasury take in during the Eisenhower years, and how much are they taking in now under the lower rates?

Well one thing for sure, if Ike was president we wouldn't have a bloated military budget.
His Military Industrial Complex speech certainly was on the money (pardon the pun). If all the following presidents had adhered to this speech, would we even have a National Debt by now?

240x240_eisenhower.jpg

By time he left office, he increased the debt by 0.2%.

When Eisenhower left office, the debt was 5% LESS.

240x240_eisenhower.jpg

feel free to change the subject at your convenience :lol:

What's the point? Ike was the Supreme Commander of Troops in Europe. He was elected President of the United States when Truman declined to run for a 2nd term and when MacArthur decided to run as a 3rd term candidate presumably to syphon votes from Ike when he wasn't nominated. It was half a century ago. Are lefties so desperate to deflect focus from B. hussein Obama that they invent situations that are not relevant today?

Eisenhower was one of our best Presidents. He created a wonderful infrastructure in the Interstate System. And he stated the truth about what the military truly costs.

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron. […] Is there no other way the world may live?

Dwight Eisenhower

Ike was a NATIONALIST, folks.

If he were running today his POV wouldn't be acceptable to either party.

240x240_eisenhower.jpg

Can you tell me who the last Democratic president to balance the budget was? I will help you out a little by pointing out that you just named the only US president to have a balanced budget since WWII.

feel free to change the subject at your convenience :lol:

Uh, sorry, that was the subject. It's about how the president leaves the country. Not how it was for a short time during their term. Did something so obvious really need to be "spelled out"? Guess so.

I do not believe US Presidents have that much power. Clinton is given credit for one of the biggest economic booms in US history and for leaving a budget surpluss behind. Does he deserve such credit? Heck no. US Presidents not have that much power over the US Economy.

Budgets are balanced when the governments have plenty of income to balance them with. The 1950s were an unpresidented time of economic expansion. WW2 had completely changed US demographics. Post WWII America bore little or no resemblence to Pre-war America. Should Eisenhower take credit for that too? I don't think so.

Did FDR end the Depression? Absolutely not. World War II ended it. And capitalism had to be totally revamped under the Kaynesian system after 1945.

US Presidents are figureheads. The only English speaking royals are in England, and they have no power.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back