Why Conservatives Can't Govern

Discussion in 'Politics' started by George Costanza, Mar 28, 2011.

1. George Costanza

George Costanza A Friendly Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    In 2007, political scientist, author and professor of political science at the Boisi Center for Religion and American Public Life at Boston College, Alan Wolfe, wrote an article for Washington Monthly, titled "Why Conservatives Can't Govern." In that article, he stated:

Strong words - and obviously written by one with a liberal agenda. But how close to truth are these words? Few can deny the love affair that has been going on between Big Business and the Republican Party lo these many decades. Few can deny the way in which the Republican Party has attempted to strangle Democratic attempts to do, well, just about anything. You may differ, but I have not seen anything close to approaching that coming from the left toward the right.

No corruption here, you say. Hmmm . . . now just exactly what is it that Tom DeLay is doing these days . . . . . ?

Strong words. Words for discussion, seems to me. Anyone want to step up?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  2. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    Faulty premise: Gubmint is there to solve our problems.

That's a pretext for paternalistic authoritarian rule, not de jure governance.

3. Liberty

Liberty Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Oddball is dead on, yet again.

4. George Costanza

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    Oh, I don't know. I would view my house on fire as a problem, as I am sure you would if yours was on fire. And who comes to put it out? And who pays the paychecks of those firemen?

Similarly, I would view a burglar in my house as a problem. I would view being unable to drive from Los Angeles to, well, anywhere, on a paved road as a problem. I would view an invasion by a foreign enemy as a problem. And who is it that solves all of our problems like that?

I think you get the idea.

Government is most certainly here to solve our problems.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  5. Greenbeard

Greenbeard Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,323
    Effective governance has become anathema to conservative ideology. A pragmatic conservative could govern (which is generally how it works with executives at the state level) but the ideologues who've tried very hard to make themselves the public face of contemporary conservativism almost certainly could not.

6. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    The issue may be that conservatives and liberals have a different view of what constitutes a 'problem'. I see law enforcement and essential provisions as a 'service' to be provided by government through taxation. I'll pay for the provision of essential services. I won't pay for you getting yourself into the shit and expecting someone to bail you out.

7. Oddball

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    Here we go again....You lose the argument at the federal level, which the author of the piece was clearly speaking about, you evade the point and chunk it down to local fire and police departments.

There again, though, their role isn't to "solve problems" per se, but provide a public service which are equally available to all.

There's a vast gulf between the local FD showing up to protect my property, when the neighbor's house is ablaze and federal bureaucrats telling me what kinds of light bulbs are "appropriate" for me to use....But you already knew that, didn't you?

8. George Costanza

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    Fair enough. I don't think Oddball was thinking it all the way through when he made his blanket statement about "problems." He would probably agree with the distinction you are making here.

So what would you classify as the type of problem you don't think government has any business bailing people out of? (My old English prof is probably turning over in his grave on the basis of that sentence.)

9. Oddball

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    Coercion, the only tool of the state, is always ineffective....Always.

10. Liberty

Liberty Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +548
    the federal government controls fire departments? Really? And roads are in the constitution as an enumerated power. Next.