Why can't we solve the Asian carp problem.

In a book I am listening to it told the story of how Columbia dealt with the lionfish problem. They got the top chefs in the country to create recipes for using lionfish and the top end restaurants started serving it, then they got the Catholic Church in the country to push their members to eat it on Fridays. The end result was a large enough drop in the lionfish population it was no longer harming the local fish in the area.

Creative solutions.
Well, with the serious decline of some popular ocean species serving up the Asian carp may not be a bad idea. They taste good and have little mercury in them. They are also 'clean feeders', unlike some other carp species.

Last edited:
In a book I am listening to it told the story of how Columbia dealt with the lionfish problem. They got the top chefs in the country to create recipes for using lionfish and the top end restaurants started serving it, then they got the Catholic Church in the country to push their members to eat it on Fridays. The end result was a large enough drop in the lionfish population it was no longer harming the local fish in the area.

Creative solutions.
That's Colombia and I have to wonder how Colombian fisherman could target the lionfish and how the government convinced them to handle a fish whose venom rivals that of a cobra in toxicity.

I have done extensive research on this subject and have come to this conclusion. Everyone, including all of the environmental agencies, like to see them jump. They get a kick out of it and don't want to see it to end.

That's all.
Get rid of the agencies, let locals deal with it.
The agencies are continually releasing non native species into our water, air and on public lands.

The EPA financed experiments using carp to control algae in wastewater treatment plants. It was the locals who allowed the carp to escape into open waters.

Get rid of the agencies, let locals deal with it.
The agencies are continually releasing non native species into our water, air and on public lands.
The government won't allow 'locals' to deal with it. They maintain sole authority. This is actually a job for Donald Trump. He'll cut through the red tape and get the job done.

The government won't allow 'locals' to deal with it. They maintain sole authority. This is actually a job for Donald Trump. He'll cut through the red tape and get the job done.
I've been calling to dismantle the agencies for decades. Fu k the government, if the locals would deny them jurisdiction that would be it.

Here is a story about it from their local news source

This does not support your claim that eating them had put a dent in their population.

From your article:

It is hard to say how much of a dent humans are making. There are so many lionfish out there and they breed so quickly that even maintaining current population levels is an accomplishment. So it’s up to our appetites to make any progress in the battle. In order to defeat the lionfish, people will need to start acting more like them.​
And I see they are not catching them with hook but spears. I applaud the selectivity but I think it's extremely unlikely they will ever check their growth through such a method. Their arent't enough spear fisherman on the planet.

I've been calling to dismantle the agencies for decades. Fu k the government, if the locals would deny them jurisdiction that would be it.
Actually, I don't think invasive species are protected by the state, DNR, EPA, or other agencies. Locals are free to remove them at will...so where is that will?

It seems that the locals might have the will but not the resources, whereas the state has the resources but not the will. So, the problem persists.

Libs in Florida live capture pythons instead of killing them

How stupid is that?
They've eaten just about everything in the Everglades, now they're spreading beyond, looking for a new food supply (which of course means pets and small children). :omg:

If Florida really wanted to get rid of those snakes, they would hire professionals to do it, like others do when they want to get rid of pests. We fought cockroaches ourselves in our apartment buildings using off-the-shelf remedies; sprays, baits, traps, bombs, powders etc. with little success. We finally hired a professional exterminator and within three months all the roaches were gone and haven't come back.

Last edited:
This does not support your claim that eating them had put a dent in their population.

From your article:

It is hard to say how much of a dent humans are making. There are so many lionfish out there and they breed so quickly that even maintaining current population levels is an accomplishment. So it’s up to our appetites to make any progress in the battle. In order to defeat the lionfish, people will need to start acting more like them.​
And I see they are not catching them with hook but spears. I applaud the selectivity but I think it's extremely unlikely they will ever check their growth through such a method. Their arent't enough spear fisherman on the planet.

The article was from 2016, the book I quoted was written in 2021. Seems they would know by now if it had made a difference or not.

But hey, you do you.

Forum List

Back