Why can't we solve the Asian carp problem.

Woodznutz

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2021
I have done extensive research on this subject and have come to this conclusion. Everyone, including all of the environmental agencies, like to see them jump. They get a kick out of it and don't want to see it to end.

That's all.

Invasive species are almost always very difficult to eliminate.
Truth be told, when you look at the evolution of Homo sapiens? We're in fact. . . an, "invasive species."

This is pretty much how nature works, and trying to turn it back? :lol:

iu

Spooking fish

" .. . .It's not clear exactly what spurred the giant fish to leap out of the water, but their jumpy behavior isn't out of character. Asian carp tend to feed at the surface of the water, where they are more easily disturbed by the sight and sound of a passing boat, the BBC reported.

In one survey of recreational fishers and boaters in the Illinois River, about three-quarters reported seeing or being hit by a jumping Asian carp, according to research presented in 2012 at the Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium.

And though the flying fish's jumps look impressive, they may not be all that unusual. It's simply that bottom feeders, such as flounder or grouper, that may get spooked and quickly zoom upward don't actually leave the water, so bystanders and boaters never see their leaps, Shears told the BBC."

My brother had a large community garden in Montana and we'd have been thrilled to get the fish to turn into fertilizer! It's almost the only fertilizer I use in my own garden.

You can only use so much.....We used to feed the carp to hogs.....Mostly just tossed them on the bank.....Coons gotta eat.

I never return them to the water.

You can only use so much.....We used to feed the carp to hogs.....Mostly just tossed them on the bank.....Coons gotta eat.

I never return them to the water.

If I remember right, when I was a kid, you'd catch one by accident and it was illegal to throw them back.

If I remember right, when I was a kid, you'd catch one by accident and it was illegal to throw them back.

I carried a "knocker" with me.....A 14" length of rebar I knocked them in the head with.

There was talk of a bounty on them back when i was a kid.....$1 for the mouth.....Nothing came of it.....I would have had a jingle in my pocket, that's for sure.

Of course ours are EU carp, not Asian.....Since the Shenandoah River has cleaned-up they don't seem to be around as much as when it was more polluted.

Minnesota solved this problem by renaming them the Invasive Carp, and just like that...no more Asian Carp in the state.
It also ended racism against Asians.

A two fer.

Last edited:
Invasive species are almost always very difficult to eliminate. Look at the python problem in Florida, that is a huge ecological problem.
The only thing standing in the way of controlling the pythons is the requirement of "humane kill". Other invasive species aren't given this consideration.

Last edited:
Just stumbled on this article, which reveals the real problem. Please read it carefully. Note the half-assed methods that have been tried.

Last edited:
In a book I am listening to it told the story of how Columbia dealt with the lionfish problem. They got the top chefs in the country to create recipes for using lionfish and the top end restaurants started serving it, then they got the Catholic Church in the country to push their members to eat it on Fridays. The end result was a large enough drop in the lionfish population it was no longer harming the local fish in the area.

Creative solutions.

Forum List

Back