Why Aren't We Picking Up Radio Signals From Nearby Alien Civilizations?

There are few problems with this line of thinking:

a. Radio waves also exist in nature. Just because you demodulated a radio signal from space into a beautiful sound of music does not mean it was artificially generated.

b. The kind of radio wave signals we modulate for communications require a finely tuned demodulator. Without that the signal will just pass through without any fuss.

c. Although the very nature of electromagnetic wave dictates that the wave can alternate between electric and magnetic field forever therefore it can in theory carry on forever in vacuum. However reality is very different and electromagnetic waves in space do get degraded due to powerful gravitational fields, background radiation, etc.

The bottom line is that unless we setup EXTREMELY powerful transmitters announcing our presence, chances are no one knows we are here which is a good thing or else we could find ourselves in real trouble :) See how Israelis and Palestinians treat each other. Why would you think aliens would be any different?

We're the only species that isnt telepethic, so we're the only ones who invented radio. Simple.

This thread can be a very good exercise in demonstrating our hopelessness when it comes to finding extraterrestrial intelligence. Alpha Centauri is the closest visible star system to us at a distance of 4.37 light years. Look at what happens to the light (electromagnetic wave) generated by this massive binary star system by the time it reaches us. Now ask yourself, what will happen to radio wave generated by humans which is also a electromagnetic wave by the time it reaches our destination just 4.37 light years away? We all know that 4.37 light years is not even a centimeter in the world of astronomical distance. This should tell you that exploring anything beyond our solar system is just a dream for now.

I am very surprised that someone of Fermi's caliber would underestimate the size of our galaxy and would make an assumption that we were alone in the galaxy just because we have not been able to make contact with another extraterrestrial civilization.

I think it is far more plausible to realize that there are extraterrestrial civilizations in our galaxy alone. We may never make contacts with them because of the distance barrier but that is a different story.

In our universe alone, our galaxy is just one of the billions of galaxies. Outside of our universe, there are multiple universes. We don't really know where this all ends. Given this immense magnitude we are dealing with, it is simply impossible that we are alone.

We're sending our radio signals in every direction for almost a hundred years now. So why aren't we picking up any from other species? The reason I worry about is simple enough: nearby alien species with technology realize there are hostile alien races who send invasion or attack fleets to detected intelligent planets for conquest or annihilation so keep their radio transmissions to a local variety, not ones that radiate out into space. Imagine a dot representing our Sun with lots of red dots all around representing hostile alien races. Could be on their way right now. On the more cheerful side, could be a friendly one on the way too who'll say "SHHHHH!" :)
our radio waves can't be distinguished from noise long before they have a chance to leave the solar system.

radio is an idiotic way to contact life on another planet or in some passing ship

We are the aliens here, too, and we are still on our baby legs. The methods and the technology aside, perhaps we need to mature a little before another race responds. Like on this board.
nuts

we are way more mature than we have been and it's bullshit insulting to assume that aliens are going to be better than us

Communications Stuffing

We are simply assuming then that this hypothetical super-intelligent alien species is focused on communicating with other like-minded species, just as humans on Earth are curious about communicating with chimpanzees.

I wonder if an alien species would be impressed with our technologies:

====

"Greetings, Alien Simon. As you can see, we have arrayed a series of symbolic human civilization technologies (or sophisticated 'toys') on this table. Here, you see the compact audio cassette (the first portable audio media playback toy) which succeeded the record or LP. Here, you see the computer hard diskette (the first sturdy portable data storage toy) which succeeded the floppy disk. Here, you see the computer flash drive (the first convenient large data storage mini-compartment toy) which succeeded the hard diskette. So what do you think?"

"Thank you for showing me these, Human President Obama. I like the flash drive!"

===

Communications Stuffing

We are simply assuming then that this hypothetical super-intelligent alien species is focused on communicating with other like-minded species, just as humans on Earth are curious about communicating with chimpanzees.

====

"Greetings, Alien Simon. As you can see, we have arrayed a series of symbolic human civilization technologies (or sophisticated 'toys') on this table. Here, you see the compact audio cassette (the first portable audio media playback toy) which succeeded the record or LP. Here, you see the computer hard diskette (the first sturdy portable data storage toy) which succeeded the floppy disk. Here, you see the computer flash drive (the first convenient large data storage mini-compartment toy) which succeeded the hard diskette. So what do you think?"

"Thank you for showing me these, Human President Obama. I like the flash drive!"

===

Not assuming they're communicating with us or anyone else so much as the radio transmissions any technological civilization would be using would radiate out from their source if being used. Such signals from Earth are over 75 lightyears out at this point in every direction. Any civilization like our's that's developed technology would be radiating out their signals just like we are. The universe should be filled with such transmissions. But doesn't seem to be. Or at least not anywhere close to us.

Perhaps "aliens" have been contacting humanity all along in the forms of "angels", "demons", and "gods"

Communications Stuffing

====

===

Not assuming they're communicating with us or anyone else so much as the radio transmissions any technological civilization would be using would radiate out from their source if being used. Such signals from Earth are over 75 lightyears out at this point in every direction. Any civilization like our's that's developed technology would be radiating out their signals just like we are. The universe should be filled with such transmissions. But doesn't seem to be. Or at least not anywhere close to us.
Its like finding a needle in a haystack. What are the chances that another civilization saw embedding data into a radio wave as something that was significant?

Forum List

Back