CDZ Why aren't we addressing the gun issue as a cultural problem?

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Mac1958, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Mac1958

Mac1958 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +48,735
    I don't have a simple legislative answer for the gun problem. There are already ten kazillion guns out there, and they're easily accessible by any maniac. So legislating along the fringes can only do so much. Can we do some legislating here and there? Sure, let's look at EVERYTHING. But legislation's efficacy will be limited and long term only.

Obviously, our poisoned political environment is going to slow down (or worse) anything major that we try to do. That appears to be the goal, for some reason. But is it possible for us all to look at this as a cultural issue? WHY is life so cheap now? HOW do people become so radicalized? WHAT pushes a damaged person over that last edge of sanity and turns them into a monster? WHEN can we step in without harming a person's liberties?

And perhaps most importantly, how can we COMMUNICATE, COLLABORATE and INNOVATE in this toxic political environment, to SAVE LIVES? Certainly we have to look at entertainment. Certainly we have to look at partisan politics from a macro perspective. Certainly we have to look at the internet. There are some things we all can consider. No?

I think MOST of our problems are cultural, directly or indirectly. This is another example. But we're tying our own hands.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  2. Marion Morrison

Marion Morrison BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49,672
    Where's the STFU button? Actually I agree with Mac on this. The problem is cultural, not with guns. The guns have always been there; undisciplined, apathetic, grown tantrum babies have not.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    • Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. andaronjim

andaronjim Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,686
    I am posting a hypothetical question for everyone in the rubber room it is only a hypothesis.

4. DOTR

DOTR Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,892
    I agree. Our culture has been destroyed by liberals. Now we reap the whirldwind. It has to get worse before it gets better im afraid.
    Our problems are not political but our diversions are.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. DOTR

DOTR Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,892
    Welcome to reality. Now if you can just avoid jumping back to your wing.

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 3
  6. andaronjim

andaronjim Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,686
    Why do you think I posted a link about cultural decay because of the degeneration of music and Movies? Oh yeah, it is played in other countries and you dont see people going out and mowing down people with assault rifles. That is totally wrong, you go look in Europe and there is so much more violence per capita than is in the US. They also dont have open borders to drug cartels that cross daily.

Countries Compared by Crime > Total crimes per 1000. International Statistics at NationMaster.com
    How Mexico’s Cartels Are Behind the Border Kid Crisis

But we understand that with liberal thinking, these things go unnoticed.

liberals-head-up-his-ass.jpg

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. P F Tinmore

P F Tinmore Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,631
    When I was a kid, there were guns all over the place. Eight year old boys got a 22 for their birthday. Family picnics found us out back shooting holes in targets.

We weren't shooting each other so it isn't the guns. It is something else. Let's look for that something else.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. rightwinger

rightwinger Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +95,974
    We are a gun culture

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Mac1958

Mac1958 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +48,735
    Bingo, exactly. Somewhere along the line, life became cheap.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. toobfreak

toobfreak Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,850
    That's because there isn't one. Responsible Americans (the vast 99.99% of us) will never tolerate being disarmed and you cannot legislate human behavior. Mass murderers kill not because they can get a gun (Look Marge! There's a gun! I think I'll go shoot people with it!) but because they are intent on killing! Take the gun away and they will only find another way.

Personally, I think a lot of what is driving the social rage is that we see the absolute breakdown and dysfunctionality of our government, the endless investigations, the endless bickering, the eternal stalemates, the never-ending partisanship, the corruption, the lies, the cheating, the LACK OF ACCOUNTABILITY in our leaders all the while they are left feeling helpless locked into poor-paying jobs, traffic, gridlock and endless rules and regulations that the regulators themselves don't follow.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3