Why are zombies so popular?

Do you know that the current version of zombies was created by director George Romero in his classic "night of the living dead" filmed in a New Jersey farm for a couple of thou? There are a couple of zombie movies I like. The tongue-in-cheek "return of the living dead" where a couple of workers in a medical body parts warehouse accidentally open a government canister and let out re-animation vapor. I like "Sean of the dead" where a Brit slacker is so self absorbed that he doesn't notice a zombie outbreak in his neighborhood. We have dozens of Hollywood feature films about zombies and a successful TV series. Believe it or not there is a serious bunch of people out there who spend their spare time preparing for a zombie apocalypse. My theory about the popularity of zombies is that society needs an imaginary enemy. Since we technically aren't at war and there are dozens of government and private (tax free) agencies who monitor society for signs of bigotry towards any ethnic culture or peculiar sexual habit there aren't any targets left for Hollywood to mow down with fake gunfire. Outer space aliens are old stuff so sub-humans and former humans are just the ticket. Everyone hates a zombie even if you used to know them.

the best ones:

Night of the Living Dead
The original Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead
Sean of the Dead
Resident Evil
Zombieland

I also like:
Any new version of the George Romero classics
All Resident Evils subsequest to the first one.
Pretty much anything with a zombie in it.

Why are they so popular? I don't really know.

My theory, ahem:

In the 1950s, alien invasion science fiction was very popular - it was a metaphor for the cold war "communist invasion" fear.

The current Zombie obsession is the threat of being eaten by our rotting neighbors - it's a metaphor for the parasitical nature of our society "eating itself".

The threat is an inward threat instead of an outer threat.

My theory, ahem:

In the 1950s, alien invasion science fiction was very popular - it was a metaphor for the cold war "communist invasion" fear.

The current Zombie obsession is the threat of being eaten by our rotting neighbors - it's a metaphor for the parasitical nature of our society "eating itself".

The threat is an inward threat instead of an outer threat.

Wow! Very interesting.:clap2:

Why are zombies so popular? That's easy.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWpU8sX10_4]Best Bob Hope movie line - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back