Why are those who are on governmental assistance seen as lazy?

Graduated at California State University Dominguez Hills with two B.A's in Psychology and Philosophy

Recently received my Masters in Neuropsychology at UCLA with an emphasis on Behavioral Cognition.

I didn't move because I am just now getting back on my feet after 6 months of being out of work.

Heck with the aging demographics, there's a lot of demand for assessing and rehabbing patients. Every Alzheimers and rehab facility in the country probably has a couple Master degree NPsych people..

There's also a lot of work in linking medical imaging diagnostics with standard assessments of functional deficits. You might see who's trying to make money commercializing on accurate diagnosis from various brain imaging methods. Kinda on that border where neurologists meet psychologists meet venture capital...

Your right. I myself am trying to see if I can get a job at a research facility near my school. But right now as I was told many of the departments are on a budget crunch. Hell, even the professors at my school are still furloughing.

Trying to tell ya dude. It's because you're looking in CALIFORNIA universities.. Places where profs are being threatened with MINIMUM WAGE... Kinda weird, but here in Hillbilly Hollywood, one of my neighbors works at Cal State Hayward.. He freakin COMMUTES out there for 3 months at a time just to live HERE in Tennessee.

Plenty of research rich areas but probably NOT in the Cal State system. Look at the BIG companies.. GE, Siemens, Philips and see what brain imaging programs they are doing... Maybe hook up with someone on the biological side of Neuroscience to get ideas of who's developing hardware and techniques..

There is a growing trend of college students unfortunately applying for governmental assistance since many of these students do not have enough sufficient income to sustain themselves. This is not new as we see many college students across the country applying on welfare. But my main concern is about Romney's 47% as being taker's of assistance I have to ask why do people label welfare recipients as "lazy?" Are we looking at those who don't attain jobs? Are we looking at the fact that its a race issue?

In my own humble opinion, it is not those who are on government assistance that are seen as lazy but rather those who are on governmental assistance who refuse to do anything at all to free themselves from it.

I spent most of Obama's first term (and hopefully only term) on unemployment. Every morning I got up and sent resume after resume or revamped my resume or networked or whatever I could think of doing to end that problem. I failed a hell of a lot in those 2.5 years, but I tried. Maybe I am a failure, but I wasn't lazy.

But, I have known people that are more than happy to sit on the porch drinking beer on the government's dime and not do a damned thing to get a job. Those people are in my opinion... lazy.

Immie

Dude I complained being on welfare for 6 months and having little money for unemployement, how the hell did you manage for 2.5 years? My hat to you on hanging in there and I agree with your analysis.

During those 2.5 years, Congress kept extending UE benefits and I had saved in my 401(k) enough to keep us afloat barely. We did finally have to declare bankruptcy though.

And the tax penalties for using the 401(k) were a killer once a year.

One thing that really pisses me off about Congress is that they did not suspend the 10% penalty for using IRA/401(k) benefits. Rather than suspend them, they should declare Unemployment during a recession to be a hardship so that there are no penalties.

I'm getting up there in years and one thing is for sure now that I am working again. I will not use nor recommend that anyone in the middle class bother with IRA's or 401(k). The tax savings should you not have to withdraw early just is not worth the risk IMHO. You are better off just paying the taxes on it now and putting it into mutual funds.

Immie

Heck with the aging demographics, there's a lot of demand for assessing and rehabbing patients. Every Alzheimers and rehab facility in the country probably has a couple Master degree NPsych people..

There's also a lot of work in linking medical imaging diagnostics with standard assessments of functional deficits. You might see who's trying to make money commercializing on accurate diagnosis from various brain imaging methods. Kinda on that border where neurologists meet psychologists meet venture capital...

Your right. I myself am trying to see if I can get a job at a research facility near my school. But right now as I was told many of the departments are on a budget crunch. Hell, even the professors at my school are still furloughing.

Trying to tell ya dude. It's because you're looking in CALIFORNIA universities.. Places where profs are being threatened with MINIMUM WAGE... Kinda weird, but here in Hillbilly Hollywood, one of my neighbors works at Cal State Hayward.. He freakin COMMUTES out there for 3 months at a time just to live HERE in Tennessee.

Plenty of research rich areas but probably NOT in the Cal State system. Look at the BIG companies.. GE, Siemens, Philips and see what brain imaging programs they are doing... Maybe hook up with someone on the biological side of Neuroscience to get ideas of who's developing hardware and techniques..

Very good advice. I will definitely put in more footwork in developing companies in other states. California is just too ridiculous right now. With budget deficits, cutbacks, and increase in taxes this is getting too much.

During the Great Depression all the usual slurs were made about the unemployed. Those without jobs were labeled as lazy, as drinkers and the other charges, and some were. As government defense spending began and defense jobs opened up, most of the lazy bums seemed to go to work. And with their new jobs, those former lazy unemployed drinkers then began talking about those lazy drinking bums that wouldn't work.

There is a growing trend of college students unfortunately applying for governmental assistance since many of these students do not have enough sufficient income to sustain themselves. This is not new as we see many college students across the country applying on welfare. But my main concern is about Romney's 47% as being taker's of assistance I have to ask why do people label welfare recipients as "lazy?" Are we looking at those who don't attain jobs? Are we looking at the fact that its a race issue?

Some people on the government dole ARE lazy and want to take all that they can. That does not mean all but it does not rule out the fact there is generational welfare at play.

Of course, the economy is not helping things today. Not sure what students you are talking about but there are many I know using some pretty expensive toys, gadgets and cars and yet complain about money woes. Hmmm....

Some people on the government dole ARE lazy and want to take all that they can. That does not mean all but it does not rule out the fact there is generational welfare at play.

Of course, the economy is not helping things today. Not sure what students you are talking about but there are many I know using some pretty expensive toys, gadgets and cars and yet complain about money woes. Hmmm....

And those people will never vote for Romney, hence his comments about not caring to play to them politically.

This 47% was CREATED by tax policy.. It doesn't earn any particular stereotype except that they were TARGETED for political purposes to recieve the benefit of not contributing a penny to running of the Federal SuperStructure.

IF they tend to vote for MORE Federal growth and spending --- then they SHOULD morally be committed to PAYING their share of that cost as they can afford to do so.. OR at least adopting responsibility for not cranking out kids you can't afford to raise without increased tax deductions..

Technically my son is on welfare. He is low functioning autism. The state pays him a check and for his medicaid. He's in a 2 bedroom apartment with another special needs young man. They have 24/7 care. They are both on the list for section 8 and have been for more than a year. The state is going in the hole on these two as their disability alone is less than $700 an month and the Apartment is $800 a month and that doesn't include utilities or the pay of the 24/7 caregivers. My son is not lazy. In fact, give him a broom and he will sweep. Give him a weed puller and he will pull weeds, give him a rake and he will rake your lawn until there is hardly any grass left. He likes to work, he just can't without constant supervision.

During the Great Depression all the usual slurs were made about the unemployed. Those without jobs were labeled as lazy, as drinkers and the other charges, and some were. As government defense spending began and defense jobs opened up, most of the lazy bums seemed to go to work. And with their new jobs, those former lazy unemployed drinkers then began talking about those lazy drinking bums that wouldn't work.

During the Great Depression there was no welfare, no medicaid, no section 8 housing. When defense jobs opened up, the unemployed took them because there was no social hammock to lay in while they sipped pina coladas paid for by the government. In fact, since there was no social hammock, the Okies driven out of the dust bowl worked in the fields of California, glad to pick vegetables for a job.

If we had a sudden surge in employment opening up, we'd have to import immigrants to take them.

During the Great Depression there was no welfare, no medicaid, no section 8 housing. When defense jobs opened up, the unemployed took them because there was no social hammock to lay in while they sipped pina coladas paid for by the government. In fact, since there was no social hammock, the Okies driven out of the dust bowl worked in the fields of California, glad to pick vegetables for a job.

If we had a sudden surge in employment opening up, we'd have to import immigrants to take them.

I wasn't there, but my mother has told me stories. They were sitting down to dinner one night when they heard a noise in the kitchen. Some had come in the back door and stolen food out of their kitchen. My grandfather didn't even go after him/them. He just said "Well, they needed it more than we do."

In every business that was caught employing illegals in the past few years, when they reopened and looked for LEGAL employees they had thousands upon thousands of applicants. It's a myth that they are doing jobs Americans won't do. They have STOLEN jobs from Americans. They have kept our wages artificially low.

Very good advice. I will definitely put in more footwork in developing companies in other states. California is just too ridiculous right now. With budget deficits, cutbacks, and increase in taxes this is getting too much.

I cut and ran from California after I separated from the Military back in 2007, I did try and stay there with my girlfriend at the time I looked at jobs in Oakland, Ventura, Santa Barbara, Los Angeles, everywhere, couldn't find shit. After 6 months I moved to Richmond Virginia and found a job after looking for 3 weeks. California is done, you can only make it there if you are obscenely rich or an illegal immigrant.

We could spend $720 million a day or $500,000 a minute in Iraq extinguishing human life. So I say at least double it to save American families. How long? As LONG as it takes. There is ONE job for every FIVE unemployed.

So Obama and Congress should do what FDR did. Invest in Americans, put them to work, get something positive for that investment and give the unemployed the dignity of work and contribution to the Great Republic. Start a new WPA, CCC and pubic works program. During the Great Depression the government hired about 60 per cent of the unemployed in public works and conservation projects that planted a billion trees, saved the whooping crane, modernized rural America, and built such diverse projects as the Cathedral of Learning in Pittsburgh, the Montana state capitol, much of the Chicago lakefront, New York's Lincoln Tunnel and Triborough Bridge complex, the Tennessee Valley Authority and the aircraft carriers Enterprise and Yorktown.

It also built or renovated 2,500 hospitals, 45,000 schools, 13,000 parks and playgrounds, 7,800 bridges, 700,000 miles of roads, and a thousand airfields. And it employed 50,000 teachers, rebuilt the country's entire rural school system, and hired 3,000 writers, musicians, sculptors and painters, including Willem de Kooning and Jackson Pollock.

In other words, millions of men and women earned a living wage and self-respect and contributed mightily to the national infrastructure.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich.
President John F. Kennedy

Last edited:
When I was looking for help, I had a terrible time. Americans, even the basest and most derelict homeless wouldn't work. Or if they were willing to work, they wanted me to create their perfect job and give them a perfect salary. I wouldn't hire an illegal. It took me MONTHS, maybe a year or so, to find a women over 50 who took the job and was an excellent employee.

I think you forgot cheats and an option to lazy. The biggest thing is that a person on assistance seems to stay there. Certainly this is a generalization.

When I was looking for help, I had a terrible time. Americans, even the basest and most derelict homeless wouldn't work. Or if they were willing to work, they wanted me to create their perfect job and give them a perfect salary. I wouldn't hire an illegal. It took me MONTHS, maybe a year or so, to find a women over 50 who took the job and was an excellent employee.

People that age still have a work ethic, even the former crack addict who used to mow my lawn and wash my car had a good work ethic.

It is difficult to make blanket statements about the Great Depression, things were changing. With Hoover, government help went to business and industry, but both needed customers for their products not loans so business and industries continued to fail. When FDR took office welfare was continued but less to business and more to people. If one could work then they must work, WPA, PWA, CCC and so on. They were not high paying jobs I think about $11 dollars a week. CCC was for the young teens and paid $5 bucks a month, room and board with thirty going home to the family.
Enough to survive, but the real jobs the good payers had to wait for the war prep.
California passed laws trying to keep the Oakies out, stopping them at the borders.

Again you guys need better representatives for your case of welfare recipients not being lazy.
Obama Is Going To Pay For My Gas And Mortgage!!! Remember her?

Last edited by a moderator:
trying to tell ya dude. It's because you're looking in california universities.. Places where profs are being threatened with minimum wage... Kinda weird, but here in hillbilly hollywood, one of my neighbors works at cal state hayward.. He freakin commutes out there for 3 months at a time just to live here in tennessee.

Plenty of research rich areas but probably not in the cal state system. Look at the big companies.. Ge, siemens, philips and see what brain imaging programs they are doing... Maybe hook up with someone on the biological side of neuroscience to get ideas of who's developing hardware and techniques..

very good advice. I will definitely put in more footwork in developing companies in other states. California is just too ridiculous right now. With budget deficits, cutbacks, and increase in taxes this is getting too much.

i cut and ran from california after i separated from the military back in 2007, i did try and stay there with my girlfriend at the time i looked at jobs in oakland, ventura, santa barbara, los angeles, everywhere, couldn't find shit. After 6 months i moved to richmond virginia and found a job after looking for 3 weeks. California is done, you can only make it there if you are obscenely rich or an illegal immigrant.

lol true

Forum List

Back