Why are those who are on governmental assistance seen as lazy?

Again you guys need better representatives for your case of welfare recipients not being lazy.
Obama Is Going To Pay For My Gas And Mortgage!!! Remember her?

Obama Is Going To Pay For My Gas And Mortgage!!! - YouTube

So some idiot on youtube making a fool of herself is proof?

More than you have presented...

Nah....Not in the slightest...

College students graduating is a far more actibe and productive phone than some female on YouTube waiting on a phone

Heck with the aging demographics, there's a lot of demand for assessing and rehabbing patients. Every Alzheimers and rehab facility in the country probably has a couple Master degree NPsych people..

There's also a lot of work in linking medical imaging diagnostics with standard assessments of functional deficits. You might see who's trying to make money commercializing on accurate diagnosis from various brain imaging methods. Kinda on that border where neurologists meet psychologists meet venture capital...

Your right. I myself am trying to see if I can get a job at a research facility near my school. But right now as I was told many of the departments are on a budget crunch. Hell, even the professors at my school are still furloughing.

Trying to tell ya dude. It's because you're looking in CALIFORNIA universities.. Places where profs are being threatened with MINIMUM WAGE... Kinda weird, but here in Hillbilly Hollywood, one of my neighbors works at Cal State Hayward.. He freakin COMMUTES out there for 3 months at a time just to live HERE in Tennessee.

Plenty of research rich areas but probably NOT in the Cal State system. Look at the BIG companies.. GE, Siemens, Philips and see what brain imaging programs they are doing... Maybe hook up with someone on the biological side of Neuroscience to get ideas of who's developing hardware and techniques..
What ever happened to diversifying ones positions in life? I am over 50 years old now, but I have done a lot of things in my life (to many to count), and they all made me good money because I excelled in all of them when I did them. Right now I can do carpentry work, roofing work, mechanical work (built a few race cars in my time), ran a music studio, read blue prints, created/invented a few things, run machinery, work on computers, solve programing issues, grow food, harvest food, store food, electrical work, paint, line work, drive 18 wheelers and etc.

Would I be considered lazy if had to go on un-employment or welfare ? No, because I don't think that I would have to go on welfare or unemployment in life, and if I did, it wouldn't be for long that's for sure.

Your right. I myself am trying to see if I can get a job at a research facility near my school. But right now as I was told many of the departments are on a budget crunch. Hell, even the professors at my school are still furloughing.

Trying to tell ya dude. It's because you're looking in CALIFORNIA universities.. Places where profs are being threatened with MINIMUM WAGE... Kinda weird, but here in Hillbilly Hollywood, one of my neighbors works at Cal State Hayward.. He freakin COMMUTES out there for 3 months at a time just to live HERE in Tennessee.

Plenty of research rich areas but probably NOT in the Cal State system. Look at the BIG companies.. GE, Siemens, Philips and see what brain imaging programs they are doing... Maybe hook up with someone on the biological side of Neuroscience to get ideas of who's developing hardware and techniques..
What ever happened to diversifying ones positions in life? I am over 50 years old now, but I have done a lot of things in my life (to many to count), and they all made me good money because I excelled in all of them when I did them. Right now I can do carpentry work, roofing work, mechanical work (built a few race cars in my time), ran a music studio, read blue prints, created/invented a few things, run machinery, work on computers, solve programing issues, grow food, harvest food, store food, electrical work, paint, line work, drive 18 wheelers and etc.

Would I be considered lazy if had to go on un-employment or welfare ? No, because I don't think that I would have to go on welfare or unemployment in life, and if I did, it wouldn't be for long that's for sure.

Certainly a great strategy.. Innovation often comes from melding different skills and knowledge from disparate areas.. It's actually a lot like this in the corporate world today. When I started in engineering/science -- I had a support staff of about 6 people to turn to that did my drafting, did my purchasing, did my reports and correspondence, even made the graphics for my presentations and published papers.. Then some jerk-off put a computer on my desk and all those folks disappeared. Now I get to do ALL those things and more.

EVERY job is subject to "task inflation" today. It once was weird and special that Swedish autoworkers cross-trained on many stations. TODAY --- you have to willing and able to be multi-tasked and flexible.

Last edited:
During the Great Depression all the usual slurs were made about the unemployed. Those without jobs were labeled as lazy, as drinkers and the other charges, and some were. As government defense spending began and defense jobs opened up, most of the lazy bums seemed to go to work. And with their new jobs, those former lazy unemployed drinkers then began talking about those lazy drinking bums that wouldn't work.

During the Great Depression there was no welfare, no medicaid, no section 8 housing. When defense jobs opened up, the unemployed took them because there was no social hammock to lay in while they sipped pina coladas paid for by the government. In fact, since there was no social hammock, the Okies driven out of the dust bowl worked in the fields of California, glad to pick vegetables for a job.

If we had a sudden surge in employment opening up, we'd have to import immigrants to take them.

It is difficult to make blanket statements about the Great Depression, things were changing. With Hoover, government help went to business and industry, but both needed customers for their products not loans so business and industries continued to fail. When FDR took office welfare was continued but less to business and more to people. If one could work then they must work, WPA, PWA, CCC and so on. They were not high paying jobs I think about $11 dollars a week. CCC was for the young teens and paid $5 bucks a month, room and board with thirty going home to the family.
Enough to survive, but the real jobs the good payers had to wait for the war prep.
California passed laws trying to keep the Oakies out, stopping them at the borders.

Too bad California won't pass laws keeping the mexicans out.

Certainly a great strategy.. Innovation often comes from melding different skills and knowledge from disparate areas.. It's actually a lot like this in the corporate world today. When I started in engineering/science -- I had a support staff of about 6 people to turn to that did my drafting, did my purchasing, did my reports and correspondence, even made the graphics for my presentations and published papers.. Then some jerk-off put a computer on my desk and all those folks disappeared. Now I get to do ALL those things and more.

EVERY job is subject to "task inflation" today. It once was weird and special that Swedish autoworkers cross-trained on many stations. TODAY --- you have to willing and able to be multi-tasked and flexible.
Greed is a bad thing that has happened in society and especially so at the work place, so yes it is best to be diversified in order to roll with it these days. I like the idea that I can walk out of the door of my home, and see many avenues to take and/or go down if need be, instead of just seeing one or two as my only option in life. I was lucky though, because it was the period in which I came up in that acomodated my diversification in life. These days, not so much anymore, but why ? I think greed is behind most of it, and also it is because this nation is abandoning God in which is the worst thing of all (imho).

Last edited:
There is a growing trend of college students unfortunately applying for governmental assistance since many of these students do not have enough sufficient income to sustain themselves. This is not new as we see many college students across the country applying on welfare. But my main concern is about Romney's 47% as being taker's of assistance I have to ask why do people label welfare recipients as "lazy?" Are we looking at those who don't attain jobs? Are we looking at the fact that its a race issue?

The "students" you speak of are fools at best.

Anyone wonder why it is that as our nations number of university graduates grow our nation sinks morally, as well as economically?
It is a clear correlation.

Any overgrown child who was suckered into the "the only way you can succeed is at the university" myth has a bit of pity from a hard working person like me... but only after they get a real job. Too bad they sold their life into debt for a myth.

These university grads I'm expected to hire these days?
Bunch of elitists brats. No thanks, I'm hiring someone who wants to work, someone who wants to earn.

I don't care if the student passed professor so-and-so's tests.
Professor so-and-so is a little worm who couldn't hack it in the real world.

Can you pass the test of life ya brats?
:badgrin:

Last edited:
There is a growing trend of college students unfortunately applying for governmental assistance since many of these students do not have enough sufficient income to sustain themselves. This is not new as we see many college students across the country applying on welfare. But my main concern is about Romney's 47% as being taker's of assistance I have to ask why do people label welfare recipients as "lazy?" Are we looking at those who don't attain jobs? Are we looking at the fact that its a race issue?

The "students" you speak of are fools at best.

Anyone wonder why it is that as our nations number of university graduates grow our nation sinks morally, as well as economically?
It is a clear correlation.

Any overgrown child who was suckered into the "the only way you can succeed is at the university" myth has a bit of pity from a hard working person like me... but only after they get a real job. Too bad they sold their life into debt for a myth.

These university grads I'm expected to hire these days?
Bunch of elitists brats. No thanks, I'm hiring someone who wants to work, someone who wants to earn.

I don't care if the student passed professor so-and-so's tests.
Professor so-and-so is a little worm who couldn't hack it in the real world.

Can you pass the test of life ya brats?
:badgrin:

Maybe "a little bit" overstated????? You should have seen how ill-prepared those brats were BEFORE they had 4 or 5 years of academics and independent living...

The world is changing fast and lower skilled workers are in deep doo. If you're willing to train to the task -- bless you.. But the bigger picture is -- we NEED advanced technology to maintain global competitiveness.

You might notice that it's not largely OUR BRATS that are filling up the graduate schools for science, math, engineering.. And that's not a good thing..

I find it interesting that people are so quick to use the terms "government assistance" and "welfare" so interchangeably. Government assistance goes FAR beyond welfare, but it seems that people tend to forget that. Even going through many of these posts, it seems to be a feud about who is/isn't on welfare and why they are using/abusing it. But what about the elderly, the disabled? Are they lazy or faking? And are those that receive food stamps, school lunch assistance, health care, job assistance, housing etc lazy? Are only some programs for the lazy while others aren't?

Seems to me people have nothing better to do than convince themselves that everyone receiving help from the government is a lazy, good for nothing slob on welfare. Talk about shaming the poor.

Maybe "a little bit" overstated????? You should have seen how ill-prepared those brats were BEFORE they had 4 or 5 years of academics and independent living...

The world is changing fast and lower skilled workers are in deep doo. If you're willing to train to the task -- bless you.. But the bigger picture is -- we NEED advanced technology to maintain global competitiveness.

You might notice that it's not largely OUR BRATS that are filling up the graduate schools for science, math, engineering.. And that's not a good thing..

Tech certifications are pretty cheap. A Cisco cert only costs $200 bucks or so. No life long debt there. Or do you equate "skill" with the amount of money you spend on so-called "education"?

Personally, I don't really care about what some piece of paper says, I'd rather hire someone who can prove their knowledge out in the field. If someone is in debt to a university... well that's a clear sign they haven't a clue of what they are doing with their life.

Either way, folks need to face the facts.
The whole university system is a crock, and a completely outdated crock at that.

Tech certifications are pretty cheap. A Cisco cert only costs $200 bucks or so. No life long debt there. Or do you equate "skill" with the amount of money you spend on so-called "education"?

Personally, I don't really care about what some piece of paper says, I'd rather hire someone who can prove their knowledge out in the field. If someone is in debt to a university... well that's a clear sign they haven't a clue of what they are doing with their life.

The whole university system is a crock, and a completely outdated crock at that.

Or a sign that they believed what everyone told them. And eighteen is quite a young age to question society. How does someone get life experience before their life has really begun?

Or a sign that they believed what everyone told them. And eighteen is quite a young age to question society. How does someone get life experience before their life has really begun?

Fair point.

At first, the obvious answer to your question is:
PARENTS!
Though, many a parent are pretty screwed up nowadays too.

So, for now,
I guess the sad answer to your question is:
Some kids are smart, and some aren't.

Last edited:

Maybe you've never attended a "parent orientation" for entering college freshmen, but I remember being told CLEARLY by the University Chancellor that "your 18 yr old is now old enought to MAKE those life decisions. And you as a parent have NO RIGHT to access their records or questions their decisions. It's time to let go...".

Was this college professional pulling my leg?

Please see the attached list below of every eighteen year old who never questioned society that I have met:

Forum List

Back