Why are those who are on governmental assistance seen as lazy?

There is a growing trend of college students unfortunately applying for governmental assistance since many of these students do not have enough sufficient income to sustain themselves. This is not new as we see many college students across the country applying on welfare. But my main concern is about Romney's 47% as being taker's of assistance I have to ask why do people label welfare recipients as "lazy?" Are we looking at those who don't attain jobs? Are we looking at the fact that its a race issue?

Part of the problem is ...your pet college students think many jobs are beneath them.

lots of dishwasher jobs out there... lots of maid jobs... lots of babysitting jobs...

Just becasue you have a degree is not a guarantee of getting the job of your choosing..in the field of your choosing.

Give me a break with this freggin comment. Me and ten other graduates with our Masters worked at temp jobs because we all were laid off. No jobs were hiring due to budgets and the real jobs were out of state but the problem is the other states pay less than California. Not only will it cost us to move but this doesn't factor out storage cost, finding housing etc.

What did we do? Apply for welfare and work temp jobs. A buddy of mine who has his J.D recently got a job doing housekeeping cause his firm closed and he needed some money to stay afloat.

I bounced from temp job to temp job. I even became a bouncer for a night club. My rent was always late because my unemployment paid half of what I made

No family to take me in, near being homeless. Worked as a delivery driver for pizza hut and I had an accomplished academic background. I made shit. You don't know how it feel to have people ask you "you have that many degrees and your working here?" So please spare me.

Its obvious your not a college student, this reality is all too common.

What's your undergrad and masters in? Where do you live? Have you ever considered moving?

the problem we have here is getting people to work more then 15 hours a week....

if they work full time they have to give up their entitlements......

Why work full time when you can suck off the system and make more money?
Most people want to work more then 15 hours a week, it's typically the employeer who doesn't want to pay out benefits that limit employees to a certain number of hours.

A person working 40 hours a week at McDonalds will still collect welfare because that job doesn't pay enough to support anyone.

Also, why do we blame the poor for the broken system? Those who live on the edge are trying to survive and every penny counts. We don't blame the rich for taking tax loopholes, and yet when a poor person knows that the diffrence between working 36 hours a week and working 40 is the loss of their welfare, and they choose not to work that extra 4 hours, they are leeches on the system.

Should you expect to be able to support yourself or a family on what someone would make working fulltime at McDonalds? How high do you want to raise the price of a hamburger? Until people are no longer willing to pay for it, therefore no one has a job at all?

It's a world job market now, nothing is going to change for US workers unless we find some niche that workers in 3rd world countries cannot supply, or until 3rd world countries are living under the same standards we are and demand a similar wage. Until one of those two things happens, there's no changing it.

Newby demonstrates EXCEPTIONAL understanding of the problem here.. :clap2:

The problem we are seeing is OVERQUALIFIED people flocking to these Safe Service sector jobs. Too many folks muscling in on fewer and fewer low-skilled jobs.

Low-skill jobs are an endangered species.. Cheap labor is a temporary fad. NEW factories will have jobs at all levels but FAR FEWER in low-skilled jobs than the last century. Ironically, there will be more no-skill jobs than low-skill jobs in a 21st Century AUTOMATED factory.

Used to be that Middle Class was comfortably "low-skilled" or "mid-skilled".. All that is history. Look at the number of farmers with MBAs or Masters in Ag Science.

What preserves standard of living in a GLOBAL economy is INNOVATION, INVENTION, and TECHNOLOGY.. These industries are gonna determine which countries PRESERVE their standard of living --- and which don't.. So line up for your FREE OBAMA phones OR find ANY politicians that understand where the jobs really went and how to bring them back.

Anything we've done in the past 12 years IS NOT --- even close to the answer...

Part of the problem is ...your pet college students think many jobs are beneath them.

lots of dishwasher jobs out there... lots of maid jobs... lots of babysitting jobs...

Just becasue you have a degree is not a guarantee of getting the job of your choosing..in the field of your choosing.

Give me a break with this freggin comment. Me and ten other graduates with our Masters worked at temp jobs because we all were laid off. No jobs were hiring due to budgets and the real jobs were out of state but the problem is the other states pay less than California. Not only will it cost us to move but this doesn't factor out storage cost, finding housing etc.

What did we do? Apply for welfare and work temp jobs. A buddy of mine who has his J.D recently got a job doing housekeeping cause his firm closed and he needed some money to stay afloat.

I bounced from temp job to temp job. I even became a bouncer for a night club. My rent was always late because my unemployment paid half of what I made

No family to take me in, near being homeless. Worked as a delivery driver for pizza hut and I had an accomplished academic background. I made shit. You don't know how it feel to have people ask you "you have that many degrees and your working here?" So please spare me.

What's your undergrad and masters in? Where do you live? Have you ever considered moving?

A lot of it is about the economy more generally. I graduated from a prestigious university with a degree in a field most people would consider very practical minded. So why couldn't I find work? My employment pipelines were in to fields hit hard by the recession.

Aristotle --- > Get your butt OUT of California.. Standard of living is MUCH better outside. Don't look at the salary.. GO THERE and investigate.. FlaCalTenn has lived a lot of places, and the move from Cal to Tenn got me MUCH MORE satisfaction in housing, costs, and education for my kids.. I could buy 3 BIGGER houses for the price of my Cali bungalow.

Aristotle --- > Get your butt OUT of California.. Standard of living is MUCH better outside. Don't look at the salary.. GO THERE and investigate.. FlaCalTenn has lived a lot of places, and the move from Cal to Tenn got me MUCH MORE satisfaction in housing, costs, and education for my kids.. I could buy 3 BIGGER houses for the price of my Cali bungalow.

Fair point. I have a friend who purchased a proverbial mansion in Georgia with the money he got out of his house in California.

Yep, we've always done well in western PA, Pittsburgh was missed by the housing crash, the cost of living is decent, and the jobs are available. You have to be willing to move, and have an educaiton in something meaningful, that's pretty much what it would take.

Fair point. I have a friend who purchased a proverbial mansion in Georgia with the money he got out of his house in California.

If you've ever watched HGTV, you would certainly see that. I can't believe what people will pay for a dump in some of these cities where in our area, like you said, you can get a mansion for the same price. It's crazy.

How is it a race issue? Being on welfare is not something that is race specific. Just the way you frame this question makes me distrust your intent.

Romney's point was that the people who are living off of government assistance and have no desire to stop and go to work for themselves are not going to support him. Do you deny this?

The spin that romney said "everyone who is on some form of govt assistance are lazy" is just what I called it, spin, and its not honest to what he actually said.

The race framing is a legitimate as long as the issue is being framed as being about "strapping young bucks driving around in Cadillac's eating t-bone steaks."

Ummmmm ok..........maybe elaborate a little for me?
POLK?? I dont understand your response at all, it sounds like gibberish to me. Can you explain it more or differently?

Graduated at California State University Dominguez Hills with two B.A's in Psychology and Philosophy

Recently received my Masters in Neuropsychology at UCLA with an emphasis on Behavioral Cognition.

I didn't move because I am just now getting back on my feet after 6 months of being out of work.

Well if you can figure out how much it would cost to move out of California I'm all ears. I'm sick of California honestly.

Graduated at California State University Dominguez Hills with two B.A's in Psychology and Philosophy

Recently received my Masters in Neuropsychology at UCLA with an emphasis on Behavioral Cognition.

I didn't move because I am just now getting back on my feet after 6 months of being out of work.

Have you ever read this study?

Political Conservatism as Motivated Social Cognition by Jost JT, Glaser J, Kruglanski AW, Sulloway FJ?

pdf

A Summary

While not all conservatives are authoritarians; all highly authoritarian personalities are political conservatives.
Robert Altmeyer - The Authoritarians

The ones who are lazy aren't the ones who use welfare as a leg up, it's the ones who use it as a leg to stand on.

Like this stupid ass bitch...
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpAOwJvTOio]Original Obamaphone Lady: Obama Voter Says Vote for Obama because he gives a free Phone - YouTube[/ame]

There is a growing trend of college students unfortunately applying for governmental assistance since many of these students do not have enough sufficient income to sustain themselves. This is not new as we see many college students across the country applying on welfare. But my main concern is about Romney's 47% as being taker's of assistance I have to ask why do people label welfare recipients as "lazy?" Are we looking at those who don't attain jobs? Are we looking at the fact that its a race issue?

In my own humble opinion, it is not those who are on government assistance that are seen as lazy but rather those who are on governmental assistance who refuse to do anything at all to free themselves from it.

I spent most of Obama's first term (and hopefully only term) on unemployment. Every morning I got up and sent resume after resume or revamped my resume or networked or whatever I could think of doing to end that problem. I failed a hell of a lot in those 2.5 years, but I tried. Maybe I am a failure, but I wasn't lazy.

But, I have known people that are more than happy to sit on the porch drinking beer on the government's dime and not do a damned thing to get a job. Those people are in my opinion... lazy.

Immie

People like to stereotype, both sides are equally guilty of it.
True, then it just comes down to who is abusing the system more in which creates the stereo typed situations that become a problem for some that are caught up, and this for those who have to begin the process of digging out from under the stereo typing that has happened to them but why? It is all because of a large segment and/or group that they are caught up with, and for whom is abusing the system to no end, thus causing the good ones great pains in life because of. What cracks me up though, is when a person knows that they have been caught up somehow within a bad group, in which he or she is intangled with, but instead of blaming that group for it's bad, and then getting away from them, they would rather point the finger at someone else who is confused by it all instead, in which lets the perps off of the hook when this happens everytime but why ? Why do people try and cast blame on those who recognize that there is a big problem with this type of situation, but instead of solving the problem amongst themselves first, and this if they can do so by seperating themselves from the perps, they choose instead to blame and attack others who are confused by it all. I will tell you why people won't seperate from being stereo typed in life with bad groups or people who are bad in groups, it is because they feel or believe that their is weakness in this seperation, so they will hold on as tight as they can to unity in their cause, regardless of that cause having associations found within it that donot bold well with the cause, but do remain as head counts in order to apear strong in the numbers, even though abuse is found within these numbers that is trying to be hidden in plain sight. People should seperate upon character, and that is the only way to win against evil, and not to tolerate evil for the purpose of holding high numbers in a group in which is wrong headed and just wrong. It's not being Christian minded nor a Christain thing to do, and many of the old amongst us finally had found that out in life.

Last edited:
Most of Wal-Mart's & McDonald's employee's are on Welfare, Medicaid, Food Stamps, SNAP, Social-Security, Earned Income Tax Credit etc. If you taxed these employees it would just make them even more dependant on government, These employees work hard. The US Government is subsidizing Wal-Mart & McDonald's business. Their Owners, Executives & Shareholders are sucking off of the governments tits by collecting huge dividends for underpaying their workers so the US Government will have to subsidize them. Thus Shareholders get rich off of Government while doing no work for their millions in dividends. Shareholders of companies who underpay workers sound like Welfare Queens to me.

the problem we have here is getting people to work more then 15 hours a week....

Employers limit hours so they don't have to offer healthcare or other benefits to part time employees.

Both are True.

Employers limit hours so they don't have to offer healthcare or other benefits to part time employees.

Both are True.
Many problems will ensue trying to unravel this corrupt system of things that has been put in place over time......However, don't think that Obama is the one for the job, as it has been proven so that he is not. Mitt may not be either, but he is at least a change from OBAMA that didn't get the job done, so on with the show I say, but change to some better actors maybe, and for the blacks (("QUIT")),worrying about a white man becoming President again if Romney wins, it won't be the end of the wolrd, nor will the black people perish from the face of the earth if he wins either or because of. Have faith in yourselves that any color or gender can win, and we all will be represented if we unify as a nation again for all, as one nation under God with liberty and justice for all.

Last edited:

Heck with the aging demographics, there's a lot of demand for assessing and rehabbing patients. Every Alzheimers and rehab facility in the country probably has a couple Master degree NPsych people..

There's also a lot of work in linking medical imaging diagnostics with standard assessments of functional deficits. You might see who's trying to make money commercializing on accurate diagnosis from various brain imaging methods. Kinda on that border where neurologists meet psychologists meet venture capital...

In my own humble opinion, it is not those who are on government assistance that are seen as lazy but rather those who are on governmental assistance who refuse to do anything at all to free themselves from it.

I spent most of Obama's first term (and hopefully only term) on unemployment. Every morning I got up and sent resume after resume or revamped my resume or networked or whatever I could think of doing to end that problem. I failed a hell of a lot in those 2.5 years, but I tried. Maybe I am a failure, but I wasn't lazy.

But, I have known people that are more than happy to sit on the porch drinking beer on the government's dime and not do a damned thing to get a job. Those people are in my opinion... lazy.

Immie

Dude I complained being on welfare for 6 months and having little money for unemployement, how the hell did you manage for 2.5 years? My hat to you on hanging in there and I agree with your analysis.

Heck with the aging demographics, there's a lot of demand for assessing and rehabbing patients. Every Alzheimers and rehab facility in the country probably has a couple Master degree NPsych people..

There's also a lot of work in linking medical imaging diagnostics with standard assessments of functional deficits. You might see who's trying to make money commercializing on accurate diagnosis from various brain imaging methods. Kinda on that border where neurologists meet psychologists meet venture capital...

Your right. I myself am trying to see if I can get a job at a research facility near my school. But right now as I was told many of the departments are on a budget crunch. Hell, even the professors at my school are still furloughing.

The ones who are lazy aren't the ones who use welfare as a leg up, it's the ones who use it as a leg to stand on.

Like this stupid ass bitch...
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpAOwJvTOio]Original Obamaphone Lady: Obama Voter Says Vote for Obama because he gives a free Phone - YouTube[/ame]

Yeah she is a bag of fail here and that is sad.

Forum List

Back