Why are the American school systems so bad?

suplex3000

VIP Member
Nov 25, 2014
Georgia
I see things like Jay Leno asking people on the street stuff like which war did America declare its independents or who is the vice-president of the United States and these people have no idea. It makes me nervous about sending my child to school.

I see things like Jay Leno asking people on the street stuff like which war did America declare its independents or who is the vice-president of the United States and these people have no idea. It makes me nervous about sending my child to school.
Progressive Education.

When Government, History and Geography became "Social Studies", the damage had already been done.

Far right wing reactionary dumb down 'exceptionalism' and far left know better progressivism, respectfully, degraded education when their bases are electing the school boards. Private schools have generally a good track record, but be careful of over religious or over secular ideology. Talk to local school teachers you know in public education where you live. They will be honest about the local districts. Remember, critical thinking over ideology.

Last edited:
Far right wing reactionary dumb down 'exceptionalism' and far left know better progressivism, respectfully, degraded education when their bases are electing the school boards. Private schools have generally a good track record, but be careful of over religious or over secular ideology. Talk to local school teachers you know in public education where you live. They will be honest about the local districts. Remember, critical thinking over ideology.

Thanks for that Jake. You're right about one thing: many public school union teachers will be honest if anonymity is agreed upon beforehand. Like back in 1990's when the Los Angeles Public School Union was threatening strike. 75% of black female teachers admitted to the LA Times that they sent their own kids to private or parochial schools. They had zero faith in the public school union's ability to educate their own kids. In fact urban blacks, those who give a damn about education, are leading proponents of voucher systems. This is what comes of the lowest common denominator ethos in America's public school systems, where the top half are encouraged to be the bottom half instead of the other way around. That way everyone is equally ignorant and nobody's feeling are hurt. It's a sick, mentally abhorrent approach to education, that reflects not only in the illiteracy of the students, but especially in the ignorance of their "teachers". We need to fix education. It should be our #1 national priority.

Your urban school district is but one example, and some points are questionable. However, it is part of the puzzle as well as a path to a solution. The voucher solution is possible permitted that no school can turn down students except for proven behavior disorder patterns. If your kid is a criminal, he does not get a voucher.

Because the progressives took them over. Find a good charter school.

@ THE op...EDITING. They edit for humor. The schools aren't bad...it is the students and parents.

Teachers and unions are a convenient scapegoat, and they are certainly are part of the issue, but for the most part American schools suck because American parents have removed themselves from the equation.

@ THE op...EDITING. They edit for humor. The schools aren't bad...it is the students and parents.
That has a lot to do with it.

When a four year old enters school knowing every four letter word, and every deviant sexual practice, but does not know his colors, can't count to ten, and has not learned his ABC's, he is probably never going to catch up.

No, it's the schools and the teachers.
It is a combination of both, but the raw material is the kid entering the school.

Atrophied brains cannot be remediated easily.

No, all kids are the same coming in. We've developed a class of morons who aren't allowed/capable of teaching..but who are called ... *teachers*.

Forum List

Back