Why are the American school systems so bad?

There's a reason why private schools have proliferated........
Private schools get to pick and choose....what do you think would happen if public schools could pick and choose?

Actually the students parents get to pick and choose as long as they have the money..........as most sane parents don't want to send their kids to the hell holes that the majority of public schools have turned into. You gotz it backwards.

@ THE op...EDITING. They edit for humor. The schools aren't bad...it is the students and parents.

No, it's the schools and the teachers.
It is a combination of both, but the raw material is the kid entering the school.

Atrophied brains cannot be remediated easily.

No, all kids are the same coming in. We've developed a class of morons who aren't allowed/capable of teaching..but who are called ... *teachers*.
We will just have to disagree on this one, kgirl. We have been doing good lately...so I will leave it at that.

@ THE op...EDITING. They edit for humor. The schools aren't bad...it is the students and parents.

I remember my youngest son's first day of kindergarten.

He came home to tell me about Gordon.

The teacher had asked Gordon to bring her a cup from her little snack area in the back of the room, and Gordon brought her a spoon.

I always thought he was shitting me about Gordon not knowing the difference, but, I later had (I can't say taught) Gordon and his two sisters, in my classes.

His older sister could not read when I got her in seventh grade, and when I retired she was in the alternative school, 18, and still could not read.

All have now had multiple children for us to support, who will also enter school brain-dead.

It is a combination of both, but the raw material is the kid entering the school.

No, all kids are the same coming in. We've developed a class of morons who aren't allowed/capable of teaching..but who are called ... *teachers*.
All kids are not the same coming in.

Do you know anything about crack babies and fetal alcohol syndrome?

How many years experience do you have in public ed?

All kids are the same coming in is a lie. Teachers are to blame is a lie. If you want the best teaching then you should be willing to pay a ton more than they are getting now to teach. To teach is to give away a decent earning potential plus you have to put up with kids with lousy parents and home lives. Who in their right mind would do the job? Yup, let the right take it over so we can all resemble Mississippi.

All kids entering school are not the same. For every child with an IQ over 100 that enters school, another enters with an IQ under 100. A school with a population of children under 90 is different that a school with a population of children over 110. Most teachers would rather teach in a school with the 110 population, and often the more successful teachers can choose where to teach.
At one time those students that were problems would soon be eased out the door or they would drop. Now an attempt is made to keep- em in school. Besides IQ there are behavior problems and on and on. Maybe that's why half the new teachers quit within five years, and think of the time, effort and money those teachers had put in to be teachers and bingo five years is it.

You should go right in there and show them how it's done, Allie.

1. the education system isn't all that bad considering that all students have a reasonable chance to receive an adequate education.

2. the really bad inner city schools are relatively few and far between

3. not all students are created equal

4. politicians, most of whom have never been a teacher, make the policies not unions or teachers. Our union has never been into my classroom nor has even suggested what or how to teach

5. bad teachers are few and far between. If they are truly not suited to the profession, they are weeded out quickly, like within 3 years

6. parents can help or hurt their child's chances by creating a stable or unstable home environment

7. current educational philosophy is that all students are being prepared for a 4 year university. This is unrealistic to say the least

8. more vocational training and functional skills should be offered instead of algebra and geometry for every student.

9. many parents are in denial about their child's abilities. Currently there are two sets are parents that are pissed off at the school because they believe that their DS child with an IQ of 50 isn't passing the state tests. Their child is not being prepared properly for university!

10. many foreign students entering the school system have never been to school before. Think how that will effect state test scores and the burden of school systems budgets to teach them English

11. One disruptive student can ruin the class for everyone else. Schools have a hard time removing students because all students have a right to an education and alternative schools for them cost the districts an arm and a leg.

They are called Millennials. You know the progressive folks who don't want to park their own cars and go to dry bars to have their hair washed on the way to work.

I remember my youngest son's first day of kindergarten.

He came home to tell me about Gordon.

The teacher had asked Gordon to bring her a cup from her little snack area in the back of the room, and Gordon brought her a spoon.

I always thought he was shitting me about Gordon not knowing the difference, but, I later had (I can't say taught) Gordon and his two sisters, in my classes.

His older sister could not read when I got her in seventh grade, and when I retired she was in the alternative school, 18, and still could not read.

All have now had multiple children for us to support, who will also enter school brain-dead.

what was the alternative school's population?

I see things like Jay Leno asking people on the street stuff like which war did America declare its independents or who is the vice-president of the United States and these people have no idea. It makes me nervous about sending my child to school.
Desegregation busing for the sake of "equality".

In the USA we have a minority population that is on average pretty damned stupid. 85 IQ.

The smart kids are forced to attend school with the retarded kids. This policy hinders their intellectual, emotional and academic progress.

Last edited:
I see things like Jay Leno asking people on the street stuff like which war did America declare its independents or who is the vice-president of the United States and these people have no idea. It makes me nervous about sending my child to school.
Progressive Education.

When Government, History and Geography became "Social Studies", the damage had already been done.
High school students were not engaging in scientific research in history, government or geography, but studying what had already been done in those areas. How did that damage education?

it's bad because it does not have to be any better. The USA is blessed with lots of natural resources, docile neighbors, having won a few big wars, and some luck. I think so.

Parents in other countries send their children here because they think American schools are the best in the world. The ones in Blue State. Not the others.

Desegregation busing for the sake of "equality".

In the USA we have a minority population that is on average pretty damned stupid. 85 IQ.

The smart kids are forced to attend school with the retarded kids. This policy hinders their intellectual, emotional and academic progress.

it's not the retarded kids as they are mostly self-contained

believe it it not the mentally retarded kids I teach are better students. they try and love school

it's the marginal students that don't give a shit or have few options other than being assholes

our public schools = college or nothing

that is stupid

Where we live the pubic schools are far outperforming the private and charter schools.

Likely, problems lie outside the school system, i.e., a consumer spending economy and heavy exposure to commercial, mass entertainment.

Forum List

Back