Why are outdoor NHL games popular?

Montrovant

Fuzzy bears!
May 4, 2009
A Picturesque Apocalypse
I'm watching the Winter Classic game now, there's a decent amount of snowfall, and it sucks. The game is slow and choppy and ugly. The puck bounces and goes unexpected ways, the players have a hard time skating with any speed, it's just not very good hockey. Why do they keep doing these games?

Because they're awesome!

If you ever played the sport, you probably played on an outdoor rink at some time. It takes you back to when you were a kid.

I love these games.

The first game was played between the Oilers and Habs in Edmonton several years ago. It was -27C.

Because they're awesome!

If you ever played the sport, you probably played on an outdoor rink at some time. It takes you back to when you were a kid.

I love these games.

The first game was played between the Oilers and Habs in Edmonton several years ago. It was -27C.

I don't watch my sports to remember being a kid, I prefer to see a good game. The games we played as kids would have been terrible to watch. :lol:

I hate watching the skill taken away from the players because of snow on the ice. Weather is good for football, but not hockey where everything is based on sliding along the ice. :D

The players in the Redwings game were saying they liked it and people were kind of milling around even after the game ended. I'm not a big hockey fan but outdoors seems tougher and like it should be.

Because they're awesome!

I love these games.

I don't watch my sports to remember being a kid, I prefer to see a good game. The games we played as kids would have been terrible to watch. :lol:

I hate watching the skill taken away from the players because of snow on the ice. Weather is good for football, but not hockey where everything is based on sliding along the ice. :D

Snow sucks for football. The first half of the Vikings-Ravens game was utterly awful. It only got good when it stopped snowing and they cleared it off the field.

I wouldn't want hockey to be played outdoors all the time, but one game a year is great. I love watching it.

Because they're awesome!

I love these games.

Snow sucks for football. The first half of the Vikings-Ravens game was utterly awful. It only got good when it stopped snowing and they cleared it off the field.

I wouldn't want hockey to be played outdoors all the time, but one game a year is great. I love watching it.

They are doing way more than 1 a year now. At least 5 this year apparently.

I just find it funny that they seem to want the very thing they try to avoid as much as possible, rough ice.

I went to the Winter Classic when it was in Pittsburgh a few years ago. It was awesome.

I think for the players, it is a fun reminder of conditions they played with when they were kids.

For the fans, it's just a unique communal experience. The people in Peanut Heaven in that stadium yesterday could not possibly have seen the puck with all that snow.

But I didn't read any complaints.

I think for the players, it is a fun reminder of conditions they played with when they were kids.

For the fans, it's just a unique communal experience. The people in Peanut Heaven in that stadium yesterday could not possibly have seen the puck with all that snow.

But I didn't read any complaints.

Tickets for the games at yankee stadium are going for redicuous amounts of $$, and the people up high wont be able to see crap.

Its for the experience.

They're already predicting a blizzard for the Superbowl. If it happens, they are going to move the Superbowl to the following Tuesday.

Forum List

Back