Why Are More Americans Lonely Today?

dvinman

VIP Member
Dec 14, 2009
Rarely has news from an academic paper struck such a responsive nerve with the general public. The National Science Foundation (NSF) reported in its General Social Survey that unprecedented numbers of Americans are lonely.

Published in the American Sociological Review (ASR) and authored by Miller McPhearson, Lynn Smith-Lovin and Matthew Brashears, sociologists at Duke and the University of Arizona, the study featured 1,500 face-to-face interviews, where more than a quarter of the respondents -- one in four -- said that they have no one with whom they can talk about their personal troubles or triumphs. If family members are not counted, the number doubles to more than half of Americans who have no one outside their immediate family with whom they can share confidences. Sadly, the researchers noted that the number of “socially isolated” Americans has doubled since 1985.

Why Are More Americans Lonely Today? - HUMAN EVENTS

Comment The main reason is a multiracial society because it creates alienation and racial tension. Only in multiracial countries will you find a breakdown in trust and community.

Human beings, just like all other forms of life have instincts, and there is racial diversity in the world because of these instincts. Why do you think that we separated into different parts of the world to begin with? Why are we more attracted to members of our own race, or prefer the company of our own people? It has nothing to do with education or upbringing. For races to survive they must have living space (nations) in order to breed true.

The thing I hate most is when white people deny these facts from their 99% white neighborhood.

The second thing I hate most is when people think that this is racist. What's racist is a multiracial society because it breeds racism. Notice there is no racism between Swedes and Chinese, but if you force them to live in the same country I guarantee there will be racism. Ergo, if whites and blacks lived in separate countries, there would be no racism between them. The only exception would be the racial supremacists who believe that they have a right to exploit other people, but they are an extremely small minority in the world. Anyone that disagrees with this comment has been brainwashed by Hollywood and Corporate Media along with Political Correctness!

Last edited:
Why Are More Americans Lonely Today?

Because they spend their time trying to figure out why they're so lonely instead of trying to meet people and make friends and associations outside of their little boxes and worldviews. It helps in life to be social and make connections outside of your racial/ethnic/religious comfort zone. Life is so much better when you see people as people and not threatening members of an enemy race. I feel sorry for the mentally deficient sociopath who feels that it's "natural" for him to only want to associate with people who share with him/her a similar amount of melanin. No wonder why your lonely.

Rarely has news from an academic paper struck such a responsive nerve with the general public. The National Science Foundation (NSF) reported in its General Social Survey that unprecedented numbers of Americans are lonely.

Published in the American Sociological Review (ASR) and authored by Miller McPhearson, Lynn Smith-Lovin and Matthew Brashears, sociologists at Duke and the University of Arizona, the study featured 1,500 face-to-face interviews, where more than a quarter of the respondents -- one in four -- said that they have no one with whom they can talk about their personal troubles or triumphs. If family members are not counted, the number doubles to more than half of Americans who have no one outside their immediate family with whom they can share confidences. Sadly, the researchers noted that the number of “socially isolated” Americans has doubled since 1985.

Comment The main reason is a multiracial society because it creates alienation and racial tension. Only in multiracial countries will you find a breakdown in trust and community.

Human beings, just like all other forms of life have instincts, and there is racial diversity in the world because of these instincts. Why do you think that we separated into different parts of the world to begin with? Why are we more attracted to members of our own race, or prefer the company of our own people? It has nothing to do with education or upbringing. For races to survive they must have living space (nations) in order to breed true.

The thing I hate most is when white people deny these facts from their 99% white neighborhood.

The second thing I hate most is when people think that this is racist. What's racist is a multiracial society because it breeds racism. Notice there is no racism between Swedes and Chinese, but if you force them to live in the same country I guarantee there will be racism. Ergo, if whites and blacks lived in separate countries, there would be no racism between them. The only exception would be the racial supremacists who believe that they have a right to exploit other people, but they are an extremely small minority in the world. Anyone that disagrees with this comment has been brainwashed by Hollywood and Corporate Media along with Political Correctness!
Moronic...simply breathtaking.

I Live in Southside East Westminster... North Denver... Where Liberal Politicians Occassionaly come to Beg for Votes every 2 to 4 years...FAR from White...

My Best Man was Hispanic and my Mentor in my Career and in MANY Aspects of Life is Black.

Fuck you and your Assumptions about Whites.

:)

peace...

Fear mostly I figure.

Or maybe texting is not as fulfilling as actually talking to someone face to face?

Over the last 50 years or so Americans have abandoned their front porches and moved to their back yards.

Hide inside playing video games and watching TV?

No one reason I think but a composite of several lifestyle changes.

Last edited:
pigeon-and-monkey.jpg

Fear mostly I figure.

Or maybe texting is not as fulfilling as actually talking to someone face to face?

Over the last 50 years or so Americans have abandoned their front porches and moved to their back yards.

Hide inside playing video games and watching TV?

No one reason I think but a composite of several lifestyle changes.

I agree. The technology revolution has eroded one on one personal communication skills. In the hot summer people are inside with the airconditioning, cable TV, on the internet or playing games or watching movies on demand. The heavier demands of work, from longer work hours to longer work weeks and the need to work 2nd jobs takes away from time to associate with other people. It is a combination of lifestyle changes that continues to isolate individuals.

Computers: A socially connecting device that's socially isolating at the same time. Time spent on the internet does take away from one’s life and detaches those whom one loves most. Question is ... do folks go online because they are lonely, or does being on the net cause them to be lonely. If memory serves, this has been talked about in another thread.

Anyway, if there are some lonely folks out there all alone with their troubles and worries, there is always a therapist that could be called upon. Weekly, or bi-weekly visits to vent worries and frustrations can help.

I prefer my back yard. Main reason is I don't like looking at my neighbor's garage that is always open and always a mess.

pretty ironic that we finally met on a messageboard.

i'll clean it this weekend.

<waves>
LOL ~ Waving back!!! Good! Then maybe I'll open my blinds all the way too! LOL I'm just happy your dog is getting old and doesn't bark as much as she used to!

In a situation where a Black person achieves financial success and moves into a predominately White or all-White neighborhood, or if a White person finds himself in the opposite circumstance, then I believe the racial disparity factor can engender loneliness. Otherwise I tend to agree with those who have cited social alienation, mainly owing to advances in technology and management of daily routines and lifestyles.

People who live in technologically advanced societies no longer have or need contact with others as we once did. Advances in automation have largely eliminated human interaction at even the most diminutive levels such as routine telephone inquiry, much of which is now conducted by voice robot, toll booths where we either drop a coin in a basket or our license plate is photographed, ATM banking, etc. Even the super market where I shop has just installed automated checkout lanes where I pass the bar code on everything in my shopping cart under a scanner, bag everything myself and finish up by scanning my credit card. No human contact.

I do not disagree with the foregoing premise which simply stated holds that birds of a feather flock together, a natural circumstance having nothing to do with "hatred" or feelings of superiority. The operative factor in this phenomenon is, quite simply, familiarity. We humans, like all other animals, are drawn to and are most comfortable around that which is most familiar to us. Much of what at present is mistakenly regarded as "ethnic discrimination" is nothing more than response to a vestigial primal instinct -- and it works the same with all taxonomic human categories.

Imo, it has alot to do with the disintegration of the family, the false self-esteem we are trying to instill in our children, and the loss of feeling that there is purpose in life. Add to that the ability to instantly contact anyone anywhere by cell phone or text, and people aren't developing the needed real self esteem to feel like they are connected intimately to anyone else. Just my 2 cents.

I hate company. I'm never lonely. When company comes, you have to put on clothes... If I do get lonely, I go to town and see what's happening or scratch the wife's back or something. There is a big difference in being alone and being lonely. More likely than not, we have some form of company just about every day. Sunday's is pretty much the same usually. Go to breakfast with friends. Maybe go to church if I feel the need to be closer to God. Watch the races. Bang around on the internet. I keep busy. I'm selling off my coin collection on eBay. Packing up stuff and shipping it off to kids. There's a plenty to keep me busy. If you don't stay busy then you get lonely. If you let yourself get consumed with pity about something or some event, then you get lonely. Grab them shoelaces and pull yourself up and get to it. Life's too short to spend it moping around being "lonely".

Texting

Computers

People live behind walls in civilized nations. In communal societies people work together, share meals, labor, etc. see each other face to face.

People drive instead of walk.....if you walk places MOST LIKELY you'll run into other people...in 2nd and 3rd world people do this more than 1 st world. They don't have as much, but there is more brotherly love.

The bible says too that in the end people will grow cold. Just go to the grocery store....no one even says hi. Your lucky to get smile. I live in America. I think it is really bad here.

Last edited:

People are lonely because they are raised in the ideologies of entitlements and lack the initiative to seek outside of themselves a source of happiness. This society wants to be entertained in lieu of working at relating to each other.

You can lead a horse to water but can't make them drink.

When I was a boy back in the 40s and 50s we lived in a six family tenement in South Brooklyn. Television was an infant medium and very few people had one of the huge, expensive boxes with the round, 9" black & white screens. And although my father had a telephone in his locksmith shop it wasn't until the mid 1950s that we had one in our apartment and we regarded it as a luxury.

Local forms of entertainment were the Wednesday and Friday night dances in Prospect Park and the handball and basketball courts on Third Street. The local movie theaters cost forty cents for two main features, a newsreel, coming attractions, and a cartoon or two. That plus a few interesting radio programs were the only artificial, technological diversions from relatively simple communal life and the human interactions it fostered.

Weather permitting, a very common pastime were nightly gatherings in back yards, on front stoops, on street corners, and on rooftops in summer. People knew each other and they needed each other.

A book was published in the late 1950s called, Escape From Freedom, by Dr. Erich Fromm. I didn't discover it until the late 1960s when it was required reading in a Sociology curriculum. In it, Dr. Fromm examines the emergence of the American Middle Class, its cohesion throughout the 40s and 50s, and he predicts with amazing accuracy the development of enhanced mechanization, and of practical and entertainment technologies, and the effect these developments would have on the social order. And the word he assigns to his vision of the then imminent future is alienation.

And here we are.

Another very interesting book is, Nineteen Eighty Four.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back