Who's a minority in 2009?

This is a flame story. Several stories in this one--the negligence of the driver--is one. His hiring and listing as FTM gender status are two separate issues. The implication is that FTM should not be hired for responsbile jobs because one of them performed incompetently.

Wrong. We'll blame your faulty reading skills.

I did NOT imply that he should not have been hired because he is FTM. I bluntly stated that it should not be a factor in preferential hiring policies. There is a huge difference between the two statements.

I agree with Sky...it's a flame story. His transgenderedness has nothing to do with his stupidity in texting while operating the train.

This is a flame story. Several stories in this one--the negligence of the driver--is one. His hiring and listing as FTM gender status are two separate issues. The implication is that FTM should not be hired for responsbile jobs because one of them performed incompetently.

Wrong. We'll blame your faulty reading skills.

I did NOT imply that he should not have been hired because he is FTM. I bluntly stated that it should not be a factor in preferential hiring policies. There is a huge difference between the two statements.

Who says he was a preferred hire? Prove it. The article states that he disclosed it on his application, in the area of minority status. Transgendered individiauls constitute a minority and they are discriminated against in hiring.

I was a Career Counselor for a business college for two years. I could not get a MTF a job in her field of training.

Last edited:
I agree with Sky...it's a flame story. His transgenderedness has nothing to do with his stupidity in texting while operating the train.

Agreed. But he used his transgendered status to qualify for minority status and receive preferential treatment in hiring. THAT is the issue. Way to miss it, Ravikins. Nice knee-jerk.

Instead of worrying about who is a minority.. why not just focus on complete equal treatment under the law?

The dream ... the Utopian society ... perhaps we could. But the problem is how people who actually agree with this approach the problem. Most of us who believe that it's best to just get equality under the law are not as logical or unbiased as we should be. They will pull up crap like this, which does more to hurt the cause than to help (thus why I poke fun at it). Instead of bringing up examples like this, what we should focus on is showing that people can behave under such a society. Make the dream come true. Once you take the power away there would be no way the government could justify those laws, but making "special cases" out of these incidents only demonstrates to those who we have already been stupid enough to hand all the power to that they still have to make such laws. Here's a good idea: Forget about the person being different, forget about how they got the job, focus on the fact that they fucked up (really, operating an automated trolly doesn't take much skill). Focus on the fact that the person was unable to do their job because they were just a poor worker.

Who says he was a preferred hire? Prove it. The article states that he disclosed it on his application, in the area of minority status. Transgendered individiauls constitute a minority and they are discriminated against in hiring.

ABC NEws, from the FIRST PARAGRAPH OF THE ARTICLE LINKED IN THE OP, which you quite clearly never bothered to read, as per your usual MO:

The Boston-area transit authority trolley driver who allegedly slammed into another train while text-messaging his girlfriend Friday was hired as a minority because of his transgendered "female-to-male" status and had three speeding tickets on his driving record in recent years, ABC News has learned.

Aiden Quinn, 24, was born Georgia Quinn and boasts on an Internet networking site that he was one of the first transgender hires by the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority.

The trolley driver lists his sexual orientation as "FTM" and was hired as a minority using his transgender status, two sources told ABC News.

Bear in mind, we aren't talking about ELIMINATING DISCRIMINATION (which I support), but giving someone preferential treatment on the basis of a voluntary surgery (which I do NOT support). Huge difference. I am 100% behind non-discrimination policies, and feel that companies that discriminate should face huge civil penalties. But, that is different than giving people preferential status in hiring because of their race, gender, or sexual orientation. I do NOT support that.

Last edited:

Agreed. But he used his transgendered status to qualify for minority status and receive preferential treatment in hiring. THAT is the issue. Way to miss it, Ravikins. Nice knee-jerk.
LOL! You're the one that is kneejerking, Kitty. ooo! minorities suck. ooo! affirmative action leads to train wrecks. ooo! transgendered people are all out to wreck trains.

Tell us, how does his transgendered status factor into him texting while driving exactly?

Get this...the guy who injured 46 people and caused 9.5 million in damages in Boston last week while texting on the job used his transgendered status to qualify as a "minority" for hiring purposes.

Texting Trolley Driver Is Transgendered Male - ABC News

It's a crazy world we live in, y'all.

All the more reason transgendered indviduals are correct to claim minority status.

Substittue Jew, Black, Hispanice, older worker, gay or disabled for any of the hiring links and you'll understand my point.

While I agree that the intent was to flame, by the newscasters who did write the story, and Catz was focusing on that, like a magnet to steel, however, it is a news story.

ABC NEws, from the FIRST PARAGRAPH OF THE ARTICLE LINKED IN THE OP, which you quite clearly never bothered to read, as per your usual MO:

The Boston-area transit authority trolley driver who allegedly slammed into another train while text-messaging his girlfriend Friday was hired as a minority because of his transgendered "female-to-male" status and had three speeding tickets on his driving record in recent years, ABC News has learned.

Aiden Quinn, 24, was born Georgia Quinn and boasts on an Internet networking site that he was one of the first transgender hires by the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority.

The trolley driver lists his sexual orientation as "FTM" and was hired as a minority using his transgender status, two sources told ABC News.

The article states the transit authority did not consider the hire 'unusual'.

Speaking of reading, did you forget to read the last sentence?

MBTA spokesman Joe Pesaturo told ABC News today that there was "nothing unusual" about Quinn's hire, and that he was picked out of a lottery that he entered in 2004.

Last edited:
LOL! You're the one that is kneejerking, Kitty. ooo! minorities suck. ooo! affirmative action leads to train wrecks. ooo! transgendered people are all out to wreck trains.

Tell us, how does his transgendered status factor into him texting while driving exactly?

Until you can keep up with the topic, and stop resorting to strawmen, Ravikins, you don't deserve a real response.

It's likely a spin, welcome to syndicated news. They interviewed two people on the work force who just didn't like the fact that they were different and used that, ignoring the hundreds of other employees who probably didn't give a fuck, just so they can sensationalize it because no one cares about it for any other reason.

Until you can keep up with the topic, and stop resorting to strawmen, Ravikins, you don't deserve a real response.
That's fine, Ms. Strawman...continue on your crusade to demonize minorities.

It's likely a spin, welcome to syndicated news. They interviewed two people on the work force who just didn't like the fact that they were different and used that, ignoring the hundreds of other employees who probably didn't give a fuck, just so they can sensationalize it because no one cares about it for any other reason.

Exactly, that's why I consider this a flame thread.

He was picked out of a lottery. Typical hiring process.

Exactly, that's why I consider this a flame thread.

If she hadn't used what passes for a "credible" news source these days, I would agree, but sadly this speaks more volumes about how our national news sources have degraded when they can't make a story without attempting to rile controversy.

That's fine, Ms. Strawman...continue on your crusade to demonize minorities.

Bingo.

Forum List

Back