Whoops!

asaratis

Uppity Senior Citizen
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 20, 2009
Stockbridge
Tiger just blurted out "GodDAMN!!" following a disappointing shot at The Open. Maybe they should turn off the shotgun mics as he swings.

Tiger just blurted out "GodDAMN!!" following a disappointing shot at The Open. Maybe they should turn off the shotgun mics as he swings.

Surely the end of civilisation as we know it.
Maybe we should just turn off the fake Puritanism and stop pretending this fairy world must exist on TV when it doesn't in reality.

Maybe we should just turn off the fake Puritanism and stop pretending this fairy world must exist on TV when it doesn't in reality.
I am amused by it, not disgusted. I say it more often than he, I bet....but not on video. I'm certainly no Puritan.

I am amused by it, not disgusted. I say it more often than he, I bet....but not on video. I'm certainly no Puritan.

I really don't see why it's worth noting at all. Unless we hadn't known that Tiger Woods speaks English. :dunno:

About 1980 I was watching some New Years day game and this one team was down on the goal line gettin' ready to score and of course, the sideline reporter (Down where the Action Is!) insisted on asking the Coach a few questions right there.

Stupid Reporter: "Coach, what do think, blah blah blah?

Coach: "Just a second, hold on".

Stupid Reporter: "But Coach do you think..."

Team fumbles the ball and the enraged coach turns and shouts "Aww sh*t!" right into the microphone!

I really don't see why it's worth noting at all. Unless we hadn't known that Tiger Woods speaks English. :dunno:

Broadcasters and sponsors do not generally like it. I'm not faulting Tiger at all. I'm saying they might want to impose a delay in the broadcast in order to bleep out language that might be offensive to some goddamned, motherfucking, bible thumping, Victorian assholes....that's all.

If I remember correctly, Earnhardt junior got fined for saying "shit" on live TV at a Nascar event. That doesn't make him a bad guy. I say "shit" several times a day...but I have no sponsors depending on me to present a totally respectable image to potential customers.

If you can't understand that, you don't understand English very well yourself.

Broadcasters and sponsors do not generally like it. I'm not faulting Tiger at all. I'm saying they might want to impose a delay in the broadcast in order to bleep out language that might be offensive to some goddamned, motherfucking, bible thumping, Victorian assholes....that's all.

If I remember correctly, Earnhardt junior got fined for saying "shit" on live TV at a Nascar event. That doesn't make him a bad guy. I say "shit" several times a day...but I have no sponsors depending on me to present a totally respectable image to potential customers.

This fake modesty has nothing to do with understanding English; it has to do with fake modesty. It's pretentious bullshit.

You're the one who created a thread about this, so it's obviously your hangup.

Jim Nance was interviewing Shaq after one game and of course he dropped the f-bomb. Did Nance or the Station break away from the interview? No, that's ratings!

Jim Nance: "Shaq we're live on the air!"
Shaq: "I don't give a sh*t".

:D

About 1980 I was watching some New Years day game and this one team was down on the goal line gettin' ready to score and of course, the sideline reporter (Down where the Action Is!) insisted on asking the Coach a few questions right there.

Stupid Reporter: "Coach, what do think, blah blah blah?

Coach: "Just a second, hold on".

Stupid Reporter: "But Coach do you think..."

Team fumbles the ball and the enraged coach turns and shouts "Aww sh*t!" right into the microphone!
Similarly, there was a radio sports broadcaster that didn't properly watch his words when a particularly fast sprinter prompted him to blurt out' "Look at that son of a bitch run!"

Which TV football commentator said look at that son of a bitch run

The announcer's name is George Mooney. He was an announcer for a Knoxville, Tennessee radio station and it was during a UT game.

This fake modesty has nothing to do with understanding English; it has to do with fake modesty. It's pretentious bullshit.

You have a severely distorted view of my intent. If you dislike the thread, stay the fuck out of it!

on edit:

BTW, Tiger Woods is my main man on any golf course, whether he cusses or not! I'd love to see him nail down his 4th Open victory.

Last edited:

You have a severely distorted view of my intent. If you dislike the thread, stay the fuck out of it!

on edit:

BTW, Tiger Woods is my main man on any golf course, whether he cusses or not! I'd love to see him nail down his 4th Open victory.

So....... you start a thread on a message board on the internet, which by definition invites responses, just to tell people to "stay the fuck out of it"?

Do you have a psychiatrist?

The fact is you're using, like TV does, a hypocritical double standard. If you were standing next to Tiger Woods (or anyone else) and they uttered "god damn" in exasperation, it would mean nothing. The fact that it's transmitted through a video medium doesn't change that. Obviously you think it does, or you wouldn't have taken the trouble to start a thread. In effect what you're doing is enabling the same hypocritical double standard that you pretend to decry by making an issue of what you correctly claim is not an issue.

Last edited:

on edit:

So....... you start a thread on a message board on the internet, which by definition invites responses, just to tell people to "stay the fuck out of it"?

The fact is you're using, like TV does, a hypocritical double standard. If you were standing next to Tiger Woods (or anyone else) and they uttered "god damn" in exasperation, it would mean nothing. The fact that it's transmitted through a video medium doesn't change that. Obviously you think it does, or you wouldn't have taken the trouble to start a thread. In effect what you're doing is enabling the same hypocritical double standard that you pretend to decry by making an issue of what you correctly claim is not an issue.
Apparently, you are still confused...and you do not comprehend what you read.

I said, " If you dislike the thread, stay the fuck out of it!" That can hardly be construed as my telling people to stay out of it. The sentence was addressed solely to you.

I implied no double standard here. You mistakenly inferred one. It is standard practice for broadcast TV to bleep certain words...if they catch them in time. In this case (and another thereafter when he said, "godammit!"), they were too late.

Perhaps you are ignorant of the fact that most broadcast networks will bleep certain words if they transmit on delay, such as a 7 second delay of "live" actions or a rebroadcast of previous programs. HBO and other cable channels are exceptions as they permit most anything, including George Carlin's bit on the seven words that "you can't say on TV".

I don't recall saying it was not an issue. It is certainly not offensive to me, but might be offensive to old ladies that buy a Buick now and then (though I think Buick dropped him some time ago)...or to parents contemplating the purchase of Nike products for their children.

...and no, I don't have a psychiatrist. I had a clinical psychologist years ago...but I drove him crazy!

Last edited:

on edit:

I said, " If you dislike the thread, stay the fuck out of it!" That can hardly be construed as my telling people to stay out of it. The sentence was addressed solely to you.

I implied no double standard here. You mistakenly inferred one. It is standard practice for broadcast TV to bleep certain words...if they catch them in time. In this case (and another thereafter when he said, "godammit!"), they were too late.

Perhaps you are ignorant of the fact that most broadcast networks will bleep certain words if they transmit on delay, such as a 7 second delay of "live" actions or a rebroadcast of previous programs. HBO and other cable channels are exceptions as they permit most anything, including George Carlin's bit on the seven words that "you can't say on TV".

I don't recall saying it was not an issue. It is certainly not offensive to me, but might be offensive to old ladies that buy a Buick now and then (though I think Buick dropped him some time ago)...or to parents contemplating the purchase of Nike products for their children.

...and no, I don't have a psychiatrist. I had a clinical psychologist years ago...but I drove him crazy!

I have no doubt that's true. He prolly tore his own hair out.

I'm not saying you implied a double standard; I'm saying you practice one. After all, you're the only one who sees this moment of utter insignificance as significant. That tells me what your values are.

I'm not saying you implied a double standard; I'm saying you practice one. After all, you're the only one who sees this moment of utter insignificance as significant. That tells me what your values are.
Again you fail to see that such moments may be significant to some viewers, therefore may become significant to broadcasters and their sponsors. I agree that it was not significant to me...except to prompt me to make this thread.

My pointing out the occurrence does not constitute display of a double standard held by me or the network.

Last edited:

Again you fail to see that such moments may be significant to some viewers, therefore may become significant to broadcasters and their sponsors. I agree that it was not significant to me...except to prompt me to make this thread.

My pointing out the occurrence does not constitute display of a double standard held by me or the network.

Actually that's exactly what it does, even if you don't see it. Had you genuinely not held that double standard, this "incident" would have been forgotten in the moment and the thread would not exist at all. That it does tells us you actually think it's newsworthy.

It isn't.

Actually that's exactly what it does, even if you don't see it. Had you genuinely not held that double standard, this "incident" would have been forgotten in the moment and the thread would not exist at all. That it does tells us you actually think it's newsworthy.

It isn't.
Clearly, you have been undereducated. I never claimed it was shocking or distasteful to me for Tiger to say what he did. I merely pointed out that the broadcaster did not bleep it out as they have been known to do. That says little if anything about my standards...double or not.

Give it up. You are fighting a losing battle.

Last edited:
Well no. You lost that battle at post #1.
Somebody said "goddamn" on TV. Big fuckin' deal.

This one's still my favorite (at 0:41):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJA6JZ_TKaw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJA6JZ_TKaw[/ame]

Last edited:

Forum List

Back