Whoever Thinks Driverless Cars Will Be Good in the Next 100 Years

I think autopilot cars will be great. Now autonomous farm tractors, construction equipment or military equipment would be very dangerous & scary as hell if it were hacked by terrorist!

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Has little experience driving and/or working with computers.

View attachment 149365

And has never heard of an uncontrolled train crossing.
100 years? No. Driverless cars will be the majority before then. And those problems will be solved.

In less than five years, you'll be able to buy a driverless car. In another ten years, the only way to buy a car that's not driverless is to buy a used car. It'll happen fast because of how much safer and efficient (e.g. no traffic jams) they will be. Insurance savings will pay for the feature.

View attachment 149365

100 years? No. Driverless cars will be the majority before then. And those problems will be solved.

In less than five years, you'll be able to buy a driverless car. In another ten years, the only way to buy a car that's not driverless is to buy a used car. It'll happen fast because of how much safer and efficient (e.g. no traffic jams) they will be. Insurance savings will pay for the feature.
I have no doubt. The government needs more people to die. Too many reaching retirement age and using retirement benefits.

View attachment 149365

I have no doubt. The government needs more people to die. Too many reaching retirement age and using retirement benefits.

That's easily remedied by lifting the contribution cap.

Its fucking scary.
Technology and the abuse that will come is, period.
Look at that iphone10. The facial recognition technology is AMAZING. But think of how it will be abused..
I understand i am cynical, but i also enjoy reality.
You mean like the state police and federal cops that use face recognition cameras on their vehicles, it's been done for three years now, along with cameras on guardrails to take pics and track your movements..

First road-tested driverless truck is legally allowed to hit the road in Nevada
Written by taar Posted June 1st, 2015

In fact, there is already a road-tested big rig truck that’s legally allowed to drive in the state of Nevada.

Early this month, Freightliner (a company owned by Daimler) unveiled the “Inspiration Truck” — a partially autonomous big rig commercial motor vehicle that’s touted for its ability to prevent truck crashes by mitigating driver truck driver fatigue and human stress.

Daimler says it has done more than 10,000 miles of testing on the truck. And now it’s street-legal, as it’s been granted one of Nevada’s “Autonomous Vehicle” license plates (the first for a commercial truck) by Nevada governor Brian Sandoval, according to a recent article on the Verge, “This is the first road-legal big rig that can drive itself.”

First road-tested driverless truck is legally allowed to hit the road

Looks like reality is once again outrunning fiction.

The huge fear about these driverless vehicles getting hacked is crazy. There are numerous safeguards that can be installed that not be accessible except for by technicians actually onsite. Why go to that trouble when you can talk some crazy into being a suicide driver?

They will be a reality in less than a decade.

Less than a decade? Hahahaha!

There are already a few self-driving shuttles on fixed routs. The current generation of Tesla autos being sold are self-driving ready; all Tesla has to do is flick a switch.

In two years, buying a self-driving car will be realistic. In five years, they'll be common. In 15 years, they'll be the only thing you can buy.

First road-tested driverless truck is legally allowed to hit the road in Nevada
Written by taar Posted June 1st, 2015

In fact, there is already a road-tested big rig truck that’s legally allowed to drive in the state of Nevada.

Early this month, Freightliner (a company owned by Daimler) unveiled the “Inspiration Truck” — a partially autonomous big rig commercial motor vehicle that’s touted for its ability to prevent truck crashes by mitigating driver truck driver fatigue and human stress.

Daimler says it has done more than 10,000 miles of testing on the truck. And now it’s street-legal, as it’s been granted one of Nevada’s “Autonomous Vehicle” license plates (the first for a commercial truck) by Nevada governor Brian Sandoval, according to a recent article on the Verge, “This is the first road-legal big rig that can drive itself.”

First road-tested driverless truck is legally allowed to hit the road

Looks like reality is once again outrunning fiction.

Trucking is another industry that will change dramatically with technology. It is sad that truck drivers will be obsolete. But that is the way of technology.

Driverless cars will need to have many sensors.
Those sensors will have to be cleaned, inspected and calibrated a lot.
People don't even maintain their regular cars properly nowadays.
If a sensor malfunctions it might make the car go off the road or crash into another car.
Lawsuits are what will prevent driverless cars from happening.

It is a simple fix. There will be numerous sensors, for redundancy. If there is a blind spot, the car will warn the driver and not operate until it can sense what is there.

Seeing that data suggest that they're safer compared to normal cars I'd say with a few decades of testing they should be ready.
They will be a reality in less than a decade.
My eldest daughter is a very skilled engineer for a major automobile company. She tells me things that the auto companies are planning.

The reality is that these driverless cars are already being phased in. But our car culture must be phased into it. We like to control our vehicles. Anti-lock brakes give you less control over the braking of the vehicle as do anti-collision systems on heavy trucks that are now being used on passenger cars. Computerized ignition systems give you less control over engine performance. Drivers are being conditioned to be comfortable with having less control over vehicle performance.

Soon most new automobiles will be flex fuel electric hybrids. You say within ten years, however I think it will take at least another generation for the public to accept that kind of loss of control of their personal vehicles. The USA has some very deep car culture roots. To many folks their car = liberty.

My eldest daughter is a very skilled engineer for a major automobile company.

A girl a skilled engineer? <roll eyes>

Anti-lock brakes give you less control over the braking of the vehicle as do anti-collision systems on heavy trucks that are now being used on passenger cars. Computerized ignition systems give you less control over engine performance. Drivers are being conditioned to be comfortable with having less control over vehicle performance.

I don't agree. The driver has nearly as much control over our cars today as we did before the first chip ever found its way into a car. The brakes still work even if the anti-lock mechanism fails. The anti-lock mechanism only rarely kicks in, and that's only when you brake poorly. That's a million miles from taking a nap as you cross town. Besides, anti-lock brakes have been around for over 30 years.

I think cruise control would have been a better example of people giving up control, except it's been around forever and is very passive in its operation.

The USA has some very deep car culture roots. To many folks their car = liberty.

I disagree for a third time. Americans are so use to new tech that they adopt it easily, especially young people under 30. And, anyone over the age of 30 is happy to not have to drive.

My eldest daughter is a very skilled engineer for a major automobile company.

A girl a skilled engineer? <roll eyes>

Anti-lock brakes give you less control over the braking of the vehicle as do anti-collision systems on heavy trucks that are now being used on passenger cars. Computerized ignition systems give you less control over engine performance. Drivers are being conditioned to be comfortable with having less control over vehicle performance.

I don't agree. The driver has nearly as much control over our cars today as we did before the first chip ever found its way into a car. The brakes still work even if the anti-lock mechanism fails. The anti-lock mechanism only rarely kicks in, and that's only when you brake poorly. That's a million miles from taking a nap as you cross town. Besides, anti-lock brakes have been around for over 30 years.

I think cruise control would have been a better example of people giving up control, except it's been around forever and is very passive in its operation.

The USA has some very deep car culture roots. To many folks their car = liberty.

I disagree for a third time. Americans are so use to new tech that they adopt it easily, especially young people under 30. And, anyone over the age of 30 is happy to not have to drive.

The technologies will be accepted. The motorheads will just keep an antique around for their car fix.

You could have disagreed 2 times and been fine. I hope your eye roll at the idea of a girl being a skilled engineer is an attempt at humor.

Forum List

Back