Who will President Obama appoint for the Supreme Court vacancy?

Syriusly

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2014
I was curious- and found this short list- and it is impressive.

Certainly there is no doubt that President Obama will do his Constitutional duty and select the next Supreme Court Justice- the question is whether the Senate will do its Constitutional duties to advice and consent.

Both of these look like solid candidates- the other 5 candidates are intriguing but not as strong I think

Who will Obama choose to replace Antonin Scalia? Here are 7 of the strongest candidates.

Jane Kelly — US Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit

Any nominee is going to have to go through the Judiciary Committee, chaired by Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA). And no nominee is going to make Grassley happier than Jane Kelly, a career public defender from Iowa whose nomination for the federal bench Grassley championed, leading to a unanimous confirmation in 2013. She was also, coincidentally, a Harvard Law School classmate of Barack Obama's, graduating with him in 1991.

Sri Srinivasan — US Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit

Srinivasan is by far the most mentioned Supreme Court contender in DC, owing largely to his unanimous 2013 confirmation to the DC court. That's in many ways a more impressive feat than Kelly's unanimous approval: The DC court is by far the most prominent circuit court, owing to its jurisdiction over challenges to rules made by federal regulators like the Environmental Protection Agency. The fact that Srinivasan could get unanimously approved for that court is truly remarkable.
His background helps explain the across-the-board enthusiasm. He worked for the solicitor general's office for seven years: five under George W. Bush, two under Obama. He clerked for two Republican judges, Sandra Day O’Connor and the Fourth Circuit's J. Harvie Wilkinson III, and represented a number of corporate clients in private practice, including former Enron executive Jeffrey Skilling in his Supreme Court appeal, a newspaper that fired reporters for union activities, and Exxon when it was trying to escape liability for murder and torture its security forces committed in Indonesia.

I figured he would appoint amongst Al Sharpton, Freddy Grey's momma, and George Clooney....and tough choice it would be for him.

Certainly there is no doubt that President Obama will do his Constitutional duty and select the next Supreme Court Justice- the question is whether the Senate will do its Constitutional duties to advice and consent.

Both of these look like solid candidates- the other 5 candidates are intriguing but not as strong I think

Who will Obama choose to replace Antonin Scalia? Here are 7 of the strongest candidates.

Any nominee is going to have to go through the Judiciary Committee, chaired by Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA). And no nominee is going to make Grassley happier than Jane Kelly, a career public defender from Iowa whose nomination for the federal bench Grassley championed, leading to a unanimous confirmation in 2013. She was also, coincidentally, a Harvard Law School classmate of Barack Obama's, graduating with him in 1991.

Srinivasan is by far the most mentioned Supreme Court contender in DC, owing largely to his unanimous 2013 confirmation to the DC court. That's in many ways a more impressive feat than Kelly's unanimous approval: The DC court is by far the most prominent circuit court, owing to its jurisdiction over challenges to rules made by federal regulators like the Environmental Protection Agency. The fact that Srinivasan could get unanimously approved for that court is truly remarkable.
His background helps explain the across-the-board enthusiasm. He worked for the solicitor general's office for seven years: five under George W. Bush, two under Obama. He clerked for two Republican judges, Sandra Day O’Connor and the Fourth Circuit's J. Harvie Wilkinson III, and represented a number of corporate clients in private practice, including former Enron executive Jeffrey Skilling in his Supreme Court appeal, a newspaper that fired reporters for union activities, and Exxon when it was trying to escape liability for murder and torture its security forces committed in Indonesia.

Neither one is a Conservative Italian American required to fill the Scalia seat

Someone posted the Vox list earlier. I think Toobin started the push for Sri Srinivasan last night. I am conflicted about Judge Kelly so I am keeping my trap shut until I square that up.

Presidents nominate SCOTUS Justices. They offer up nominees.
In any event....If the nominees are far left wing, each stands little chance of confirmation.

Knowing Obama's propensity for sticking it to the American people with his wildly unpopular use of political fiat( executive orders to simply by pass the body which refuses to do his bidding) it would come as no surprise if he nominated Pam Karlan.....The "fuck you" candidate.
Remember this....The Senate is under no obligation to confirm any nominee it does not deem the best candidate for the job.
In other words, there has to give and take. A right leaning moderate with a high respect for the US Constitution as it is written.

Who will President Obama appoint for the Supreme Court vacancy?

Nobody. The Senate we have right now will not let him. Bank on it.

Scalia has to be replaced by another Scalia type. The Constitution if it's interpretations are going to change, must change excruciatingly slowly or social imbalance will result. There's too much at stake. We know Obama will nominate one dripping liberal outright or "conservative-leaning" dripping liberal in sheep's clothing one after the other..

Last edited:
Hatch, Harris, Srinivasan, Kobuchar, Nguyen, Millet, Wilkins, Kelly, Johnson or Lynch

Obama will not appoint anyone. Ain't gonna happen.

:)

Doesn't matter who the Muslim-In-Chief nominates. They'll never see a day in that court.

Don't we all have confidence in the GOP to perform their Constitutional duties?

LOL........I look forward to President Obama nominating a very good candidate- and watching the wing nuts in the GOP announce that no matter who it is- they will refuse to do their Constitutional duty.

Because the GOP is the Party of "NO"

Forum List

Back