Who was the worst?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by musicman, Oct 16, 2004.

1. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533
    Who was the worst president of your lifetime, and why?

My vote is for Lyndon Johnson. He prosecuted the Vietnam War in such a way as to render it unwinnable; in fact, never had any intention of TRYING to win. This was a massive betrayal of American blood. I hope they kept hell hot for him.

His Great Society farce wasted untold billions of dollars and allowed the Federal Government to grow into a monster. We will feel it's repurcussions for many generations.

We've had some real squareheads in the Oval Office, but I think Johnson takes the cake.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. sagegirl

sagegirl Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I would have to say Gerald Ford......I did not like the fact that he pardoned R. Nixon. I do believe the pardon quickly got the nation back on track but I feel it set a bad precedent. First of all, how do you pardon a person before the person is ever found guilty of anything. Second, it deprived the American people of the facts of what happened by stopping any investigations. More harm was done than good, on this one.

3. Zhukov

Zhukov VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Carter, but I was very young so my opinion is based solely upon hearsay.

4. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    The only President to hold the office without being voted for either president or vice president. And that pardon probably caused him to lose the election against Carter.

5. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,163
    Going to have to be Clinton. I was born only a few months before Reagan was elected so I really cant choose Carter. So the only choices i have are Reagan, Bush, Clinton, and Bush. Not really a tough choice here. Clinton slacked on his responsbilities while in office. He created the image that all was great in America and the people bought it. In the mean time we had corporate scandals, phoney growth figures, deciet and lies, degrading of our military and intelligence communities, and our enemies strengthening themselves without a response from us. We were a nation in a deep sleep and fantasy and we woke up September 11th, 2001. Its a day i will never forget because it made me realize that we have to face evil in our time. I wish it had effected Senator Kerry in some way. Maybe then I could handle him being President, but since it hasnt we need to work extra hard to get Bush reelected.

6. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    I was born about three months before Carter was elected, but I know little about Ford, so I'm going to have to say Carter.

7. fubar

fubar Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    John Tyler.

Whig Party a-hole who later returned to the Democrat Party in order to protect slavery, then helped form the Confederacy.

How many people know the Dems history includes this guy ?

8. Zhukov

Zhukov VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Wow, you must be pretty friggin' old.

9. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,163
    I was thinking the same thing wow.

10. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Bill Clinton

- he steered away from making hard choices and sacrifices, at a time when america was in a unique state of being able to considerably improve itself and the rest of the world.

- he waffled on bosnia, wasting tens of thousands of lives and nearly splitting apart the NATO alliance. Had he listened to Baroness Thatcher, Bob Dole, Richard Lugar, numerous Democrats within Congress and even a new breed of politicos (liberal hawks), the Serbs would not have triumphed.

- he conspired to ignore and avoid talking about, helping or intervening in rwanda, where a genocide in 100 days took 800,000 lives.

- he blew somalia by trying to turn it into a law enforcement operation, costing the lives of 19 american soldiers and american prestige.

- he coddled China at a high cost to America's security, economic superority and our diplomatic leadership.

- i don't blame him for breaking the military (folks don't realize that was congress, which wanted a peace dividend from the end of the cold war and didn't care what they cut or how they cut from the pentagon budget)
    but clinton did avoid making hard decisions to fight corruption and wastefulness in the pentagon, at a cost of tens of billions to the military and the federal budget.

- he didn't show any leadership on AIDS or terrorism, allowing both to spiral out of control and now they both threaten the world in serious fashion.

- he allowed the FBI to get even further out of control and more incompetent, because his own misdeeds ruined his relationship with the FBI director and prevented him from firing the idiot SOB.

- god I could go for days on this, so I'll leave it alone now.