Who still watches 'I Love Lucy'?

Lucille Ball is arguably the greatest comedic actor that ever lived.

If you had said actress, I'd have gave you that based on the clause 'arguably.' But come on, she is nowhere in the same stratosphere as the likes of one Jim Carrey.

OlafMovieJimCarrey.jpg

If you had said actress, I'd have gave you that based on the clause 'arguably.' But come on, she is nowhere in the same stratosphere as the likes of one Jim Carrey.

OlafMovieJimCarrey.jpg
Jim Carrey would probably be honored that someone feels he can be compared to the likes of Lucille Ball. But really we're comparing eras here. And Lucy's stuff still clearly holds up. Lucy belongs on the Mount Rushmore of comedy. As for Jim Carrey, off the top of my head I could probably name 10 of his peers who are arguably funnier.

I think the comedy in "I Love Lucy" didn't age well

A monster hit in its day, it just isn't that funny anymore

OlafMovieJimCarrey.jpg
Jim Carrey would probably be honored that someone feels he can be compared to the likes of Lucille Ball. But really we're comparing eras here. And Lucy's stuff still clearly holds up.

Outwardly maybe; cos he's humble. But in his heart of hearts he'd know there's no comparison (that she's not in his league).

And Lucy's stuff doesn't hold up is the point. I have to grade it on a 50's comedy curve to give it a passing grade. I never watch that show if I can avoid it.

Give it another shot. Watch the cruise ship episode. I hadn't seen Lucy since I was a kid and I saw that episode and laughed my ass off. I'll tell you what she was a master of - she would have her character get herself into a small amount of trouble, and every time she tries to fix it she ends up digging herself deeper and deeper into bigger and bigger trouble. Admittedly I've only seen one episode over the years, but as a kid I loved that show.

You have some serious splainin' to do?

I just can't stand that show. It's not that bad. But considering all the much better forms of entertainment that have come out since then, I just don't understand it.

I think of this from time to time. But in this instance, this is inspired by:

I Love Lucy was Sunday Night s Number 1 Scripted Show Nearly Twice as Many Viewers as Mad Men Finale Showbiz411

I never watched it when it was on the first time around. I can't stand her whiney voice.

OlafMovieJimCarrey.jpg
Jim Carrey would probably be honored that someone feels he can be compared to the likes of Lucille Ball. But really we're comparing eras here. And Lucy's stuff still clearly holds up.

Outwardly maybe; cos he's humble. But in his heart of hearts he'd know there's no comparison (that she's not in his league).

And Lucy's stuff doesn't hold up is the point. I have to grade it on a 50's comedy curve to give it a passing grade. I never watch that show if I can avoid it.
You should listen to Carrey's interview on the Howard Stern show. Especially if you're a fan. It's very easy to find on youtube. He's waaaay more interesting than I ever expected.

OlafMovieJimCarrey.jpg
Jim Carrey would probably be honored that someone feels he can be compared to the likes of Lucille Ball. But really we're comparing eras here. And Lucy's stuff still clearly holds up. Lucy belongs on the Mount Rushmore of comedy. As for Jim Carrey, off the top of my head I could probably name 10 of his peers who are arguably funnier.

Nobody thinks Jim Carrey is as funny as Jim Carrey thinks Jim Carrey is.

When Lucille Ball was on the air I was lukewarm to her. As I grew I came to appreciate her genius in retrospect. And genius is definitely the right word.

I think for the advance pallet, it didn't age well. Nor has it aged well in terms of appealing to the younger generations. I think that there are still fans that grew up with it in heavy syndication on few channels that have an emotional connection, and they are fiercely loyal. Give it 25 years and the show will be 'Leave It To Beaver.'

Although, the show will probably always do well in merchandising. They have successfully sold themselves as a 50's brand.

Lucy belongs on the Mount Rushmore of comedy.

Maybe, on the politically correct Mt. Rushmore of comedy.

As for Jim Carrey, off the top of my head I could probably name 10 of his peers who are arguably funnier.

I'd love to see you try.
Dude over 60 years later and she still has legions of fans and a rerun of hers beat out the finale of one of the most popular modern TV shows. She pioneered comedy and television in many ways. She belongs on that mountain.

And you really can't think of anyone funnier than Jim Carrey? Bill Murray, Robin Williams, John Goodman, Chris Rock, Chevy Chase, Adam Sandler, Chris Farley, Will Smith, Leslie Nielsen, Jerry Seinfeld. There's 10 and if I had more time I could think of plenty more.

OlafMovieJimCarrey.jpg

When Lucille Ball was on the air I was lukewarm to her. As I grew I came to appreciate her genius in retrospect. And genius is definitely the right word.

LB is formula humor; not genius.

Nobody can live up to what Jim Carrey can do or has done. Perhaps, his humor was a bit juvenile and even he got a bit tired of it. But the dude brought a larger than life presence to the screen. I actually appreciate much of his more subtle roles, the ones where he challenges himself. But come on, who else was going to pull of Ace Ventura or The Mask?

OlafMovieJimCarrey.jpg

LB is formula humor; not genius.

Nobody can live up to what Jim Carrey can do or has done. Perhaps, his humor was a bit juvenile and even he got a bit tired of it. But the dude brought a larger than life presence to the screen. I actually appreciate much of his more subtle roles, the ones where he challenges himself. But come on, who else was going to pull of Ace Ventura or The Mask?

That's just Jerry Lewis, overplayed. Yawn.

I actually thought he was far better as a serious actor in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

As for Jim Carrey, off the top of my head I could probably name 10 of his peers who are arguably funnier.

I'd love to see you try.
Dude over 60 years later and she still has legions of fans and a rerun of hers beat out the finale of one of the most popular modern TV shows. She pioneered comedy and television in many ways. She belongs on that mountain.

And you really can't think of anyone funnier than Jim Carrey? Bill Murray, Robin Williams, John Goodman, Chris Rock, Chevy Chase, Adam Sandler, Chris Farley, Will Smith, Leslie Nielsen, Jerry Seinfeld. There's 10 and if I had more time I could think of plenty more.

Bill Murray - No; not close. Though, he's great at delivering under current comedy.
Robin Williams - Worthy of a mention, but no.
John Goodman - :lmao:
Chris Rock - Not even close. If he were close, he wouldn't have had to have fallen back on his poor black guy schtick.
Chevy Chase - Had a great prime, but no.
Adam Sandler - This would probably be like making the case that Dominique Wilkens was better than Michael Jordan.
Chris Farley - Probably worthy of a mention, but no.
Will Smith - The only reason I don't totally dismiss this is cos of his work on 'Fresh Prince...'; but no.
Leslie Nielsen - He came on too late. Naked Guns were great, but come on now.
Jerry Seinfeld - I think his show was great, but he would tell you that he's not a great actor to begin with.

Lucy was the Queen of Comedy, no other woman has ever come close.

If there were to be a Mount Rushmore of comedy, I see Bob Hope, Lucy, red Skelton, and Robin Williams as the 4 on it.

Hmm -- I can agree with Williams but that's it. I'd put Andy Kaufmann up there. And maybe Ernie Kovacs.

I'd love to see you try.

Bill Murray - No; not close. Though, he's great at delivering under current comedy.
Robin Williams - Worthy of a mention, but no.
John Goodman - :lmao:
Chris Rock - Not even close. If he were close, he wouldn't have had to have fallen back on his poor black guy schtick.
Chevy Chase - Had a great prime, but no.
Adam Sandler - This would probably be like making the case that Dominique Wilkens was better than Michael Jordan.
Chris Farley - Probably worthy of a mention, but no.
Will Smith - The only reason I don't totally dismiss this is cos of his work on 'Fresh Prince...'; but no.
Leslie Nielsen - He came on too late. Naked Guns were great, but come on now.
Jerry Seinfeld - I think his show was great, but he would tell you that he's not a great actor to begin with.
You place Jim Carrey above Bill Murray?! Really?! Well this conversation isn't going anywhere.

Forum List

Back