Who still watches 'I Love Lucy'?

Lucille Ball is arguably the greatest comedic actor that ever lived.

Lucy was the Queen of Comedy, no other woman has ever come close.

If there were to be a Mount Rushmore of comedy, I see Bob Hope, Lucy, red Skelton, and Robin Williams as the 4 on it.

Why? Cos she can do her outlandish crocodile tears on demand or because she was in one same ole' zany adventure one week after the next? She never did anything 'funny' after her show either.

And btw, Carole Burnette eats Lucille Ball for breakfast in terms of funny actresses from back in the day.

Lucy belongs on the Mount Rushmore of comedy.

Maybe, on the politically correct Mt. Rushmore of comedy.

As for Jim Carrey, off the top of my head I could probably name 10 of his peers who are arguably funnier.

I'd love to see you try.
Dude over 60 years later and she still has legions of fans and a rerun of hers beat out the finale of one of the most popular modern TV shows. She pioneered comedy and television in many ways. She belongs on that mountain.

And you really can't think of anyone funnier than Jim Carrey? Bill Murray, Robin Williams, John Goodman, Chris Rock, Chevy Chase, Adam Sandler, Chris Farley, Will Smith, Leslie Nielsen, Jerry Seinfeld. There's 10 and if I had more time I could think of plenty more.

Bill Murray - No; not close. Though, he's great at delivering under current comedy.
Robin Williams - Worthy of a mention, but no.
John Goodman - :lmao:
Chris Rock - Not even close. If he were close, he wouldn't have had to have fallen back on his poor black guy schtick.
Chevy Chase - Had a great prime, but no.
Adam Sandler - This would probably be like making the case that Dominique Wilkens was better than Michael Jordan.
Chris Farley - Probably worthy of a mention, but no.
Will Smith - The only reason I don't totally dismiss this is cos of his work on 'Fresh Prince...'; but no.
Leslie Nielsen - He came on too late. Naked Guns were great, but come on now.
Jerry Seinfeld - I think his show was great, but he would tell you that he's not a great actor to begin with.
You place Jim Carrey above Bill Murray?! Really?! Well this conversation isn't going anywhere.

Bill Murray is a tempermental bastard in real life. That's not typically conducive to comedy. But like I say, he's great at a comedy undercurrent. His funniest role was probably the groundskeeper in Caddy Shack; that's good but not enough to get him top spot.

If there were to be a Mount Rushmore of comedy, I see Bob Hope, Lucy, red Skelton, and Robin Williams as the 4 on it.

Hmm -- I can agree with Williams but that's it. I'd put Andy Kaufmann up there. And maybe Ernie Kovacs.
I could never come up with just 4. That would be so hard.

Why? Cos she can do her outlandish crocodile tears on demand or because she was in one same ole' zany adventure one week after the next? She never did anything 'funny' after her show either.

And btw, Carole Burnette eats Lucille Ball for breakfast in terms of funny actresses from back in the day.

The fake crocodile tears ain't got nuttin' to do with it. Watch the facial expressions. Nobody can deliver a devastatingly funny line with that degree of deadpan. Lucy did it like she invented it.

The fake crocodile tears ain't got nuttin' to do with it. Watch the facial expressions. Nobody can deliver a devastatingly funny line with that degree of deadpan. Lucy did it like she invented it.

She embarked upon some firsts mainly cos TV was new. Ultimately, she's an over-rated goon.

Lucy was a master of facial expressions and the pantomime. She practically did invent it on television! Jim Carrey's greatest comedic strengths are the same as what Lucy was also a master of. But like I said earlier, you can't compare 2 era's.

She embarked upon some firsts mainly cos TV was new. Ultimately, she's an over-rated goon.

Mmm... don't think so. Watch that clip I linked. It still works after over 60 years.

Lucy did a guest on the Carol Burnett Show, and it made Carols year. She commented that she wished she could be have the comedienne Lucy was.

Lucy was a master of facial expressions and the pantomime.

Her style was unique. But that doesn't make her the master of comedy that her fan(atics) purport.

Jim Carrey's greatest comedic strengths are the same as what Lucy was also a master of.

I guess I can at least see how you'd have this opinion. But if I were to melt it down, JC is just a comedian that is in another league. The dude oozes comedy. LB was a formula actress, really. It was the same stuff, week after week. JC turned down bags full of cash to do The Mask 2 because he kept trying to push himself to do better or something challenging.

But like I said earlier, you can't compare 2 era's.

I think you can. If you want to say that LB did not have as many advantages being from a simpler time, maybe that's fair. But then again, if she releases that same show twenty years later, it's probably losing to 'The Brady Bunch.'

Lucy did a guest on the Carol Burnett Show, and it made Carols year. She commented that she wished she could be have the comedienne Lucy was.

You gotta drive in the lanes, bro.

Hmm -- I can agree with Williams but that's it. I'd put Andy Kaufmann up there. And maybe Ernie Kovacs.

I was going for the top 4, and I left off Jerry Lewis. REALLY hard to name just the top 4.

I don't know why these types of points get made over and over. Hollywood 101 is to stroke your peers's egoes.

I'm not even a huge Carol Burnette fan or anything. I just know that the lady is funny whereas Lucille Ball was frankly not. I don't think it's close.

Again, can't get anywhere near agreeing. I never could figure out how Carol Burnett had a show on TV. Seemed like a nice person but her comedy just left me cold. I guess she was a good writer but just can't touch Lucy in terms of delivery and timing.

The only funny thing I can remember from Carol Burnett was actually delivered by Bill Cosby (who credited CB with the line), a description of what childbirth feels like:

"You take your lower lip.... and you pull it over your head"

Cosby, there's another master of delivery and timing.

Am I the only person here who has never watched it?

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. I've seen bits and pieces here and there, but I have yet to watch even one episode of the show from start to finish.

I was going for the top 4, and I left off Jerry Lewis. REALLY hard to name just the top 4.

I think you were right to leave off Jerry Lewis. The 1950s' Pee Wee Herman.... not funny, for the same reason Jim Carrey doesn't work.

Holly

P.S. I've seen bits and pieces here and there, but I have yet to watch even one episode of the show from start to finish.

You're not missing anything. Though, I'm shocked that someone your age (no offense) has not watched some episodes.

I think you were right to leave off Jerry Lewis. The 1950s' Pee Wee Herman.... not funny, for the same reason Jim Carrey doesn't work.

If you were in France, you'd be headed for the guillotine. They love him that much.
But, you have a point, Like Carrey, he had a very narrow schtick, (rubber face), and ran it into the ground,

If you were in France, you'd be headed for the guillotine. They love him that much.
But, you have a point, Like Carrey, he had a very narrow schtick, (rubber face), and ran it into the ground,

Yeah I know. I used to live in France. C'est bizarre. :rolleyes:
I just find that sort of thing juvenile, in both of those guys. Might be funny the first time but when it's predictable --- move on.

By the way welcome to USMB! :welcome:

Holly

You're not missing anything. Though, I'm shocked that someone your age (no offense) has not watched some episodes.
A big part of why I have never seen it is because it was on before I was even thought of.

Holly

P.S. I'll be 33 at the end of next month.

Yeah I know. I used to live in France. C'est bizarre. :rolleyes:
I just find that sort of thing juvenile, in both of those guys. Might be funny the first time but when it's predictable --- move on.

By the way welcome to USMB! :welcome:

I was here a couple years ago, under another handle, after the Yahoo board I was on died. Then the old group set up a new board, and I spent my time there.

Finally got tired of the new board, and came back.

Forum List

Back