Who still watches 'I Love Lucy'?

Am I the only person here who has never watched it?

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. I've seen bits and pieces here and there, but I have yet to watch even one episode of the show from start to finish.
You're not missing anything. Though, I'm shocked that someone your age (no offense) has not watched some episodes.
A big part of why I have never seen it is because it was on before I was even thought of.

Holly

P.S. I'll be 33 at the end of next month.

Oh, that must be your mom or something in your avi, then.

Yea, I watched it back in the day on Sunday mornings when there was nothing else on TV. I watched it sometimes out of conditioning later. But eventually something clicked and I admitted to myself that it was over-rated and not very good at all. Even if one thinks its good, the plots are the same over and over, anyhow.

Holly

P.S. I've seen bits and pieces here and there, but I have yet to watch even one episode of the show from start to finish.
You're not missing anything. Though, I'm shocked that someone your age (no offense) has not watched some episodes.
A big part of why I have never seen it is because it was on before I was even thought of.

Holly

I'm almost twice that, and remember it well. You can find it, if you want, on the Hallmark Channel.
(Considering the infighting on set, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did)

Holly

Holly

Yea, I watched it back in the day on Sunday mornings when there was nothing else on TV. I watched it sometimes out of conditioning later. But eventually something clicked and I admitted to myself that it was over-rated and not very good at all. Even if one thinks its good, the plots are the same over and over, anyhow.

The plots were, yes. But that was true outside of almost everything on TV at the time that wasn't named Rod Serling or Ernie Kovacs. The plots themselves were throwaways; it was all about the performer and how he or she delivered.

Holly

Holly

I'm almost twice that, and remember it well. You can find it, if you want, on the Hallmark Channel.
(Considering the infighting on set, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did)

They're all over YouTube.

TheGreatGatsby I just saw Jim Carrey's appearance on the last Letterman show. I take it all back! :laugh:

Nice. I don't watch Letterman and haven't even followed Carrey's career that close lately for that matter. But someone will have to post a vid when it comes available.
Carrey just fucking nailed his brief appearance on the finale. It'll be up on cbs.com tomorrow.

I used to watch Lucy every day as a kid. I thought it was funny
I didn't watch for 30 years and have recently seen some episodes. They just didn't age well. Too slapstick and the humor is just not that funny anymore

Shows like The Honeymooners, Dick VanDyke, Andy Griffith and even Leave it to Beaver are still worth watching

TheGreatGatsby I just saw Jim Carrey's appearance on the last Letterman show. I take it all back! :laugh:

Nice. I don't watch Letterman and haven't even followed Carrey's career that close lately for that matter. But someone will have to post a vid when it comes available.
Carrey just fucking nailed his brief appearance on the finale. It'll be up on cbs.com tomorrow.

Just saw it on Youtube. Standard Carrey. Julie Dreyfess and Chevy Chase had the best lines.

Holly

Holly

No that is me with my most favorite singer James Otto on January 31, 2011. I was 28 then. :) :) :)

God bless you and James always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

Holly

Holly

No that is me with my most favorite singer James Otto on January 31, 2011. I was 28 then. :) :) :)

God bless you and James always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

Ah, now I see that I never looked closely at the avi. Thanks for the info.

Just saw it on Youtube. Standard Carrey. Julie Dreyfess and Chevy Chase had the best lines.

Next time, post the link. Save us a search.

And that's the genius of JC. Nobody else can do it the way he does it. He makes the legends look like rookies out there.

Lucy belongs on the Mount Rushmore of comedy.

Maybe, on the politically correct Mt. Rushmore of comedy.

As for Jim Carrey, off the top of my head I could probably name 10 of his peers who are arguably funnier.

I'd love to see you try.
Dude over 60 years later and she still has legions of fans and a rerun of hers beat out the finale of one of the most popular modern TV shows. She pioneered comedy and television in many ways. She belongs on that mountain.

And you really can't think of anyone funnier than Jim Carrey? Bill Murray, Robin Williams, John Goodman, Chris Rock, Chevy Chase, Adam Sandler, Chris Farley, Will Smith, Leslie Nielsen, Jerry Seinfeld. There's 10 and if I had more time I could think of plenty more.
Jack Benny, Bob Hope, Ernie Kovacs...just a few.

Lucille Ball is arguably the greatest comedic actor that ever lived.

Lucy was the Queen of Comedy, no other woman has ever come close.

If there were to be a Mount Rushmore of comedy, I see Bob Hope, Lucy, red Skelton, and Robin Williams as the 4 on it.
Skelton wasn't funny.
Skelton, Milton Berle, Sid Caesar represented the comedy of the era. Slapstick routines carried over from Burlesque and Vaudville

You have some serious splainin' to do?

I just can't stand that show. It's not that bad. But considering all the much better forms of entertainment that have come out since then, I just don't understand it.

I think of this from time to time. But in this instance, this is inspired by:

I Love Lucy was Sunday Night s Number 1 Scripted Show Nearly Twice as Many Viewers as Mad Men Finale Showbiz411

I don't watch it anymore- since we now have lots of channels and I don't stumble across it anymore- but I would gladly watch many of her episodes over a lot of the current stuff.

Mind you there is lots of good current comedy- but there is also dreck out there that I don't watch. I would put Lucy up there with the best comedy that has been on TV- still watchable over 50 years later.

But then again- I like the Marx Brothers too.

Forum List

Back