Who started the Progressive movement?

Votto

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2012
Historians often point to Teddy Roosevelt as being the person who started the movement.

Anyone disagree?

He viewed the Constitution with contempt and desperately wanted to fight in war. He even complained about not having any wars to fight while President, and then when he left office could not yell loud enough to go to war with Germany.

A true Progressive.

Historians often point to Teddy Roosevelt as being the person who started the movement.

Anyone disagree?

He viewed the Constitution with contempt and desperately wanted to fight in war. He even complained about not having any wars to fight while President, and then when he left office could not yell loud enough to go to war with Germany.

A true Progressive.
It was imported to Murica from the Fabian Society.....TR was the one to originally put into play here.

I have yet to see an actual progressive movement

Roosevelt took the view that if the Constitution specifically said he could not do something, then he obviously could.

His successor that he chose, Taft, was appalled at this interpretation and refused to go along with it. As a result, Roosevelt then ran against him later so that his Progressive cousin Wilson would win the Oval Office.

Since that time, the US federal government created their own bank, created the US federal income tax, and essentially stripped Federalism to nothing as the Feds centralized power and trashed state rights.

The result? Massive debt and continuous wars since that time.

Anyone disagree?

A true Progressive.
Wrong Roosevelt. Teddy was a Nationalist. He was a progressive within his own party, but he was still a Conservative.

Try FDR

I will agree on one thing....that any move towards a Stronger and more Powerful Central Government is part of Progressivism, and some of the things Teddy allowed and did moved us that way.

We're sitting in the middle of it....Woodrow Wilson put it into full motion with the 16th & 17th Amendments, The Fed, and intervention in WWI.....The next century plus has been a long downward slide.
Giving The IRS and Federal Reserve Asset Forfeiture Powers is what set things in motion.

A few years later after their formation, The Federal Reserve intentionally caused The Great Depression so they could wipe out all of the private banks, destroy treasury notes, and confiscate precious metals, people's life's savings, homes, farms, etc. etc.

We as America transitioned from a Asset-Hard Currency economy to a Debt-Credit economy and this was done intentionally by The Federal Reserve.

Roosevelt took the view that if the Constitution specifically said he could not do something, then he obviously could.

His successor that he chose, Taft, was appalled at this interpretation and refused to go along with it. As a result, Roosevelt then ran against him later so that his Progressive cousin Wilson would win the Oval Office.

Since that time, the US federal government created their own bank, created the US federal income tax, and essentially stripped Federalism to nothing as the Feds centralized power and trashed state rights.

The result? Massive debt and continuous wars since that time.
I was listening to a radio program some time ago and Woodrew Wilson was not a well man health wise. His wife had a lot of power also. It didn't take long for us to get into a war after the Federal Reserve Act was passed in 1913 along with the Federal Income tax and the 17th Amendment.

Anyone disagree?

A true Progressive.
Wrong Roosevelt. Teddy was a Nationalist. He was a progressive within his own party, but he was still a Conservative.

Try FDR

I will agree on one thing....that any move towards a Stronger and more Powerful Central Government is part of Progressivism, and some of the things Teddy allowed and did moved us that way.
Progressivism = collectivism.

Nationalism is a construct of collectivists.

The Progressive movement during the time of Roosevelt's era was focused on nationalism in order to destroy Federalism and the power of individual states. To do this, all emphasis was placed upon the Presidency, something foreign to American up until that time, as the power base of states was forever altered with the Federal income tax making states mere slaves of the Federal government.

Now that power has been concentrated to the Federal government, nationalism has no purpose for the collectivist. In fact, it is now an impediment to further centralize power abroad, more than likely a global government of some kind.

Problem is if corporate power gets any more influence we are a full blown plutocracy....this is an undeniable fact. How do we put checks on them without regulating them? I will never ever trust them.

Forum List

Back