Who should save his sight?

SC man on road to sight-saving surgery as liberal money rolls in

The Fort Mill, S.C., Republican who went public Tuesday with his plea for help paying for sight-saving surgery had raised almost $8,500 by Wednesday morning – most of it from self-described liberals and Affordable Care Act supporters saying they hope he’s learned a lesson.

The story of Luis Lang, a self-employed handyman who declined to get health insurance until he needed expensive surgery for diabetes-related eye problems, went viral, spurring blogs and comments, national media commentary, thousands of social media shares and vigorous discussions across the country.

His GoFundMe.com page has been shared on social media more than 1,300 times since Tuesday morning – most of it apparently by people making small donations that come with political commentary

“No one should be without medical (care) even if they have not made their own best choices in life,” wrote Steve Kadel, who gave $10 Wednesday morning. “The party of personal responsibility (has) left you hanging on your own consequences. Progressives like me think that’s just cruel. Be well.”

Read more here: SC man on road to sight-saving surgery as liberal money rolls in The Charlotte Observer The Charlotte Observer

As usual, liberal bail out lazy, irresponsible RWs.

"Lang told me he chose to pay his own medical bills while he and his wife were relatively healthy. He tried to sign up for subsidized ACA coverage only after a health crisis in February. He couldn’t get it, and blamed the president and congressional Democrats for his plight."

Liberals deem someone who was paying his own medical bills as lazy and irresponsible. You just can't make this shit up.

He tried to sign up for the pos unaca and couldn't get it. He was correct to blame the asshat dems and the fuckwit obama ... because the unaca is crap and has only succeeded in raising insurance costs for countless people. But as long as a small percent gets theirs that's all that counts, right? The hell with the rest of us chumps who are now paying out the ass in increased premiums and other costs.

He can sign up for insurance on the individual market, no one is stopping him, he will likely do this. In the meantime, and for the third or fourth time, he can negotiate a payment plan with the hospital/doctor, etc. They do that. He can continue to pay his own way until he gets insurance.

Posting this again. A relative had an individual catastrophic plan that they used for their needs, used it for hospitalization as well, that cost them $160/month. unaca passed, their plan disappeared because it didn't meet the mandatory benefits that must be included. Their plan was, and is, and individual plan from BC. The new post-unaca plan was $525. This year it went to $650. Six hundred and fifty dollars PER MONTH for a plan that includes coverage they do not need/want/will ever use.

Prior to this pos law, individual insurance was deemed 'too expensive'. Someone explain to me how now, with a FOUR HUNDRED PERCENT increase, it's better. That's it's affordable.

It. Is. a. Crock. of. Shit.

Yeah. I don't get how they can dance around this and pretend it's anything but.

And yet he and his wife chose to go public and whine and blame the president , At 300,00 a year he wouldn't have qualified for subsides anyway , notice in the article he didn't have much savings to begin with (He ran up $9,000 in bills and exhausted his savings.). He chose not to buy any medical insurance , and I bet he never had any to begin with years earlier.

$30K a year isn't very much these days but you're right that he would not have qualified for subsidies. And yes, he ran up the bills.

It didn't say he made $300,000 a year....it was his house that cost $300,000. But whatever, he had to make good money to be able to buy a house like that.

Actually, I blame the president too. It doesn't matter that he made good money...the cost of Obamacare for people that get no subsidies is huge. I have yet to hear of ONE family that has saved $25,000/yr on their insurance as Obama said would happen.

No. At $30K a year income, he could not afford to buy a $300K house.

I suspect he bought it for a lot less, he added improvements and it appreciated. That IS what he did for a living so not unreasonable to think he would do the same for his own home. Or maybe he let others take care of that for him too.

Plenty of people are saving money on their insurance, including me. But Repubs aren't responsible for their own lives and everything is Obama's fault.

I have NO idea where you got that he only made $30,000. Show me...I read the entire article, I even checked the links in it. It says he did well enough that his wife didn't have to work, and he's paying on a $300,000 home.

My mistake on the pay but its ridiculous that you say you blame the president.

Well...it is him & the Dems that pushed this piece of sh*t down our throats & lied about it all the way through. So ya...I blame him.

You really think that if only ObamaCare didn't exist, he would have been able to pay for his treatment?

Suddenly ACA is to blame for the abysmal health care situation that has existed in the US since WWII?

Really?

Surely you know how ridiculous that is.

Sure. ACA didn't create the mess. But it indulges all the same same conceits that did. Instead of getting us away from full-coverage, corporate health insurance, it forces it on us. Instead of giving consumers more freedom to find health care that suits their budget, it gives them less. Instead of decentralizing regulatory authority over health care so it can be controlled by the people, it further centralizes it in federal authorities that can more easily be controlled by corporations and their lobbyists.

I say tough shit.
He made his bed,let him lie in it.

Lie in what? He can get insurance, he can arrange for a payment schedule, he's been paying his own way for years.

He can damn well sell his house or get a second mortgage.
It was his decision not to get insurance...so tough shit for him.
Not sure I can be any clearer.

I say tough shit.

Lie in what? He can get insurance, he can arrange for a payment schedule, he's been paying his own way for years.

Right. So what does the "lie in it" comment you made mean? He's been paying his own way, he can get insurance, he can negotiate a payment plan, he can sell his house, he can take of himself.

You do know that I'm not disagreeing with you, right?

I say tough shit.

Right. So what does the "lie in it" comment you made mean? He's been paying his own way, he can get insurance, he can negotiate a payment plan, he can sell his house, he can take of himself.

You do know that I'm not disagreeing with you, right?

You have heard the saying "he made his bed now he has to lie in it" right?
Not sure what point you're trying to make here.

Look at how duddly ignores my posts.

:lol:

Your "points" were covered in previous posts as well as in the two articles. IMO, he's not without resources. Do you need for me to spell them out again or could you just read what I've already posted?

You DID write post #67, right? And you did see what you were replying to, right?

Why do you keep saying "look at how he has been footing his own bill (paying his own way)"? Read the articles.

What is it you think I should say?

I say tough shit.

Exactly.

He made choices. If he could afford to buy or build that house, seems to me he could have spent some of that on other kinds of investments. If he didn't, that too was his choice.

I say tough shit.

He worked as a handyman so how likely is it that he owns the house outright? But yes, a second mortgage. His wife could work or, as I said earlier in the thread, if they didn't need her income to live on, why didn't they dedicate her pay to investments and ins?

I say tough shit.

He worked as a handyman so how likely is it that he owns the house outright? But yes, a second mortgage. His wife could work or, as I said earlier in the thread, if they didn't need her income to live on, why didn't they dedicate her pay to investments and ins?

Doesn't matter, he was taking care of medical expenses prior to this.

OR he could set up a payment plan with the hospital and doctor.

He can get insurance on the individual market.

We all agree that he will take care of his medical expenses.

What was the point of the op anyway?

Oh right, he's a Republican.

:rolleyes:

I say tough shit.

The OP asked who should be responsible...I gave my opinion.
I'm all about personal responsibility. In ALL things.

I say tough shit.

OP makes everything political and likes to bash Republicans.

OP makes everything political and likes to bash Republicans.

Ya gotta wonder what kind of response he thought he'd get from a Conservative?
Other than it's all on him.

Forum List

Back