Who should pay, and how much

Oh honey, that is so cute! You could not identify even one erroneous assertion I made.

Oh, honey, that is so NOT cute! I did identify one: your entire post.

Ha ha you are such a little trickster, babe.

I am not your "babe", nor your "dear", nor your "sweetie". You would have to achieve several more levels on the evolutionary ladder before you could aspire to such intimacy with me, so you might as well give up your lame-ass attempt at condescension in this regard.

Once again, your entire post was crap from beginning to end. Period.

Link where the Govt claims SS taxes are not taxes?

I've never had the Govt tell me it wasn't a tax. In fact on my paycheck it says "FICA tax."

Cite to official dribble, please.

I thought I'd help you out, sweetie, on this. Here's the cite to the Social Security Administration website, and you can read the very first sentence and see how the government characterizes SS payments.

Social Security Update 2009

You can thank me later, hon.

Ooh, wow! Umpteen decades of casual usage leads to one word on a website, and that becomes official government policy!

Thank you for demonstrating that you're an asshat, but I already knew that and don't much care.

While we're trading, "See, see, see!" government websites, check this one out:

Employer "Pick-Up" Contributions to Benefit Plans

What's that say there, "sweetie"? That's right. "Contributions".

LOL! Employer "pick-up" has nothing to do with SS taxes.

Now, if we could possibly stop wasting time with all this "Look how clever I am! I can parse your words so that nothing ever gets discussed" bullshit, I'd like to get back to the issue of who does and doesn't pay the official taxes that officially fund the federal government's functions, which is the actual topic.

Sure thing. You are the one who wanted to argue for several posts that SS payments are not taxes. Glad we got that straightened out.

You've never heard the government say that Social Security isn't intended to be a tax to fund the federal government? Not my problem. Where were you when Al Gore kept blathering about the "lockbox"? Who's been keeping a secret from you the cute little fiction of "borrowing" from the Social Security fund, because it's not supposed to be for funding the government?

FYI, I have no idea what your employer prints on your paystub, and it's not really my problem. The government officially refers to them as "FICA contributions".

The full text of the Social Security Act is available online. Feel free to look it up and read it. It's pretty clear that it doesn't exist to fund the federal government, whatever shenanigans they've been up to since then. The arguments made in favor of passage of the Social Security Act, which included that it should be separate from the rest of the budget, are part of the public record. Again, that you're not aware of history is not my problem.

No, I didn't see a citation to back up your position in your post here, dear, but if you look in the post immediately above it, you can see where I helped you out.

What part of "Your ignorance is not my problem" made you think I was going to waste my day educating you? And it wasn't all that helpful for you to show me what a jackass you are, because I figured it out on my own, "dear".

LOL -- and that's the thanks I get for researching and giving you a citation to clarify your misconception.

Oh, honey, that is so NOT cute! I did identify one: your entire post.

I am not your "babe", nor your "dear", nor your "sweetie". You would have to achieve several more levels on the evolutionary ladder before you could aspire to such intimacy with me, so you might as well give up your lame-ass attempt at condescension in this regard.

Well, that's fine. I'll tell you what. If you don't like being called condescending little names like "sweetie," don't start out doing it to others, and particularly me. Deal?

Last edited:
Actually, darling, it is listed right there in Section 8, the very first of the listed powers of Congress, each of which is prefaced by "To...", each of which is set off by a semicolon:

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

To borrow money on the credit of the United States;

To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;

etc.

And I agree, it is an explanation of a power, a power to provide for the general welfare as well as the other things identified in the clause.

Providing for the general welfare can't be a power AND the explanation for itself. Is English not your first language?

Let me translate for the education-impaired:

. . . Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States;

". . . Imposts and excises, IN ORDER to pay the debts and provide for the common defense . . ." is what that actually means. You will notice that each of the delineated powers, such as "To lay and collect taxes . . ." and "To borrow money . . ." and "To regulate commerce . . ." is listed in its own separate paragraph, the 18th-century equivalent of bulleting. However, ". . . to pay debts . . ." is not. It's listed as part of the paragraph concerning taxes, excises, etc. Why? Because it's not a power being granted. It's an explanation of WHY the power to collect taxes and such is being granted.

The Article explains what it means by "general welfare" when it specifies duties of Congress, just as it goes on to explain what it means by "common defense" when it lays out the specific military services Congress can set up and by what method. Nothing in the original text of the Constitution is written to be a blank carte blanche of power to any branch of government.

As I said, learn to read for context.

The words you capitalized, "IN ORDER" are not part of the text. Interesting comment you make to read "for context," which doesn't mean "to add in words to the text that don't exist" as you have to do to get your interpretation.

Of course they're not part of the text, ignoramus. If they were part of the text, I wouldn't have said I was TRANSLATING. I would have said I was QUOTING. "Quoting" means "telling you exactly what it said". "Translating" means "telling you what it meant".

Christ, English really ISN'T your first language.

If we took your interpretation to mean that all it is saying is that Congress had the power to raise taxes and the rest is superfluous (and again, that interpretation assumes they added unnecessary language for the hell of it) Congress would not have the power to pay the debts of the United States, which is a nonsensical reading.

No, it's NOT superfluous. It's an explanation. Our Founding Fathers - and in this case, I'm including most of the nation at the time, not just those present for the Constitutional Convention - were extremely leery of giving the government the power to tax. Given how the English government under King George had wielded taxes as a weapon, this is understandable. It was necessary to delineate why that power was being given.

"But they wouldn't have the power to pay debts without it"? Really? That's your argument, that Congress has to be specifically granted the power to pay debts? Puhleeze. First of all, being granted the power to do something carries with it the inherent ability to pay for it, since without the money, you don't really have the power to do it. That's what we call "common sense", which is clearly not all that common where you come from.

Second, the last paragraph of that Article says this: "To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof." Gosh, Congress was just specifically granted the power of "carrying into execution the foregoing powers". I guess that would give them the ability to pay the debts incurred in so doing, too, now wouldn't it?

Dumbass.

Last edited:
I thought I'd help you out, sweetie, on this. Here's the cite to the Social Security Administration website, and you can read the very first sentence and see how the government characterizes SS payments.

Social Security Update 2009

You can thank me later, hon.

Ooh, wow! Umpteen decades of casual usage leads to one word on a website, and that becomes official government policy!

Thank you for demonstrating that you're an asshat, but I already knew that and don't much care.

While we're trading, "See, see, see!" government websites, check this one out:

Employer "Pick-Up" Contributions to Benefit Plans

What's that say there, "sweetie"? That's right. "Contributions".

LOL! Employer "pick-up" has nothing to do with SS taxes.

Why are you laughing at your own inability to understand English? I know why I find it funny, but why do you? The word in question was "Contributions", not "pick-up", halfwit.

Now, if we could possibly stop wasting time with all this "Look how clever I am! I can parse your words so that nothing ever gets discussed" bullshit, I'd like to get back to the issue of who does and doesn't pay the official taxes that officially fund the federal government's functions, which is the actual topic.

Sure thing. You are the one who wanted to argue for several posts that SS payments are not taxes. Glad we got that straightened out.

Sorry, moron, but no. I simply pointed out, tongue-in-cheek, that the government and its minions have been telling us from its inception that Social Security is supposed to be for retirement, not a tax for funding the government. YOU were the one who got his panties in a ruffle and desperately needed to make an issue out of it incessantly.

No, I didn't see a citation to back up your position in your post here, dear, but if you look in the post immediately above it, you can see where I helped you out.

What part of "Your ignorance is not my problem" made you think I was going to waste my day educating you? And it wasn't all that helpful for you to show me what a jackass you are, because I figured it out on my own, "dear".

LOL -- and that's the thanks I get for researching and giving you a citation to clarify your misconception.

I have no misconceptions "LOL". All you clarified was my initial impression that you're a jackass who considers it his duty to derail any serious discussion with a wad of overly-earnest word-parsing. And believe me, that needed no extra proof from you.

Providing for the general welfare can't be a power AND the explanation for itself. Is English not your first language?

Let me translate for the education-impaired:

. . . Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States;

". . . Imposts and excises, IN ORDER to pay the debts and provide for the common defense . . ." is what that actually means. You will notice that each of the delineated powers, such as "To lay and collect taxes . . ." and "To borrow money . . ." and "To regulate commerce . . ." is listed in its own separate paragraph, the 18th-century equivalent of bulleting. However, ". . . to pay debts . . ." is not. It's listed as part of the paragraph concerning taxes, excises, etc. Why? Because it's not a power being granted. It's an explanation of WHY the power to collect taxes and such is being granted.

The Article explains what it means by "general welfare" when it specifies duties of Congress, just as it goes on to explain what it means by "common defense" when it lays out the specific military services Congress can set up and by what method. Nothing in the original text of the Constitution is written to be a blank carte blanche of power to any branch of government.

As I said, learn to read for context.

The words you capitalized, "IN ORDER" are not part of the text. Interesting comment you make to read "for context," which doesn't mean "to add in words to the text that don't exist" as you have to do to get your interpretation.

... ignoramus ... Dumbass ....

You know, for someone who was just whining about being called names, you sling them pretty well.

But I don't have to engage in a discussion with someone calling me names. If you want to have a discussion without juvenile name calling, smarmy remarks or condescending labels like "sweetie", I'll be happy to do so.

Till then, if any one else wants to discuss the meaning of "The Congress shall have Power To ... provide for the ... general Welfare of the United States" I'll be happy to oblige.

Well, that's fine. I'll tell you what. If you don't like being called condescending little names like "sweetie," don't start out doing it to others, and particularly me. Deal?

Pretty sure I've been calling you "jackass" and "moron". Maybe those are pet names in your family. Around here, that means I consider you lower and less intelligent than the stuff I scrape off my shoe. Sorry if I confused you.

... ignoramus ... Dumbass ....

You know, for someone who was just whining about being called names, you sling them pretty well.

I whined about nothing, and certainly not name-calling. I made a statement that you aren't worthy to think of me as your "babe" or "sweetie". You still aren't.

But I don't have to engage in a discussion with someone calling me names. If you want to have a discussion without juvenile name calling, smarmy remarks or condescending labels like "sweetie", I'll be happy to do so.

I'm sorry, but what was it about my naked contempt that made you think I was regarding you as a serious debater I wanted to have a discussion with? You really, REALLY don't understand English, do you?

As with translating the Constitution, which you also didn't understand, let me translate this: if I'm calling you "dumbass", it's because you've proven yourself too stupid for me to consider anything you say seriously, and I've gone from discussing with you to beating you to death with facts that you're too peabrained to figure out on your own.

If YOU want to have a serious discussion, try posing a point that I can take seriously, instead of imbecilic misquotes and gross misunderstandings of plain English.

Till then, if any one else wants to discuss the meaning of "The Congress shall have Power To ... provide for the ... general Welfare of the United States" I'll be happy to oblige.

Sorry, loser, but everyone just saw you get your ass handed to you on this subject, and then slink away trying to pretend you were just "taking the moral high ground". I'll bet you a dollar that if anyone stops laughing long enough to deign to debate this with you, you're going to hear the exact same points that you just ran away from, and you won't be able to answer them then, either.

Stick a fork in it. It's done.

I whined about nothing, , ....

If anyone else wants to discuss the interpretation of Art I Sec 8 of the Constitution, I'll be happy to do so.

Well simply discussing the topic endlessly isn't on my list of priorities, but I will say that this is one of the areas where I feel the Confederate Constitution is superior to our own. They kept any "general welfare clause" out of their Constitution entirely, just to avoid such a situation as this.

I whined about nothing, , ....

If anyone else wants to discuss the interpretation of Art I Sec 8 of the Constitution, I'll be happy to do so.

Well simply discussing the topic endlessly isn't on my list of priorities, but I will say that this is one of the areas where I feel the Confederate Constitution is superior to our own. They kept any "general welfare clause" out of their Constitution entirely, just to avoid such a situation as this.

That's interesting. I know little about the Confederate Constitution. But I suspect they were especially concerned about federal power and thus took out things that could be read to expanding it.

That's interesting. I know little about the Confederate Constitution. But I suspect they were especially concerned about federal power and thus took out things that could be read to expanding it.

Avalon Project - Constitution of the Confederate States; March 11, 1861

It's pretty interesting to see how similar the two Constitutions are.

They didn't believe that the general welfare clause gave the federal government any power, but they didn't want their government to be able to interpret it as such so they simply left it out.

The government funded ones NEVER aid the poor, they just keep them at bay. Personal experience trumps anything you have for me, but yes, I did think like that, that the poor were oppressed by the rich, it wasn't until I was completely broke that I saw the difference, then I saw what hands were reaching out and which were just handing out. To get any perspective on reality you have to immerse yourself in it, to understand the systems in place and what the players are doing you have to be in one of two extreme positions, I was in such a position. It changes you, teaches you, and you can grow a lot from it. They even have groups that take students from schools and have them experience being in such a situation for a week, spoke to a couple of groups myself (question and answer times in the shelters themselves with us who lived there). Though a week is not enough time to fully submerse yourself in that situation many of them learn a lot. I was there for almost 7 years (give or take a few months). It only takes a year to fully understand it, but if you did go through it, the loss of self respect, the loss of freedom, the complete lack of independence, you will see, the rich are the ones who give it back not the government. Taxing them more would only force them to be unable to fund these great privately run programs, and be honest, when have you ever seen the government do what's right or budget well enough to actually help anyone but themselves?

Again, mere anecdotal accounts are not in any manner equivalent to legitimate statistical evidence. This should be painstakingly obvious. The nature of human experience involves a widely varying spectrum of behaviors and actions. Since large-scale groups cannot be completely homogenous, it's obvious that the experience of an isolated individual can in no way be extrapolated and applied to the group as a whole.

Now, if we wanted to consider the role of the government as a necessary stabilizing agent in a capitalist economy, we could examine an analysis such as that of Yu in A New Perspective on the Role of the Government in Economic Development. Quotation of an excerpt seems appropriate here:

[The government] possesses some unique features that distinguish it from the firm. Such features allows the government to regulate competition, reduce uncertainty and provide a relatively stable exchange environment. Specifically, in the area of industrial policy, the government can help private enterprises tackle uncertainty in the following ways: first, locating the focal point by initiating projects; providing assurance and guarantees to the large investment project; and facilitating the exchange of information; second, reducing excessive competition by granting exclusive rights; and third, facilitating learning and diffusion of technologies, and assisting infant industry firms to build up competence. The history of developmental success indicates that the market and the state are not opposed forms of social organisation, but interactively linked (Rodrik, 1997, p. 437). In the prospering and dynamic nations, public-private coordination tends to prevail. Dynamic private enterprises assisted by government coordination explain the successful economic performances in the post-war Japan and the Asian newly industrialising economies. It is their governments' consistent and coordinated attentiveness to the economic problems that differentiates the entrepreneurial states (Yu, 1997) from the predatory states (Boaz and Polak, 1997).

This crude rightist analysis of the government allegedly being hostile to capitalism is ignorant and misinformed.

With all of the talk for the need to cut taxes and spending, if given the opportunity, what would the people here on this board offer as a solution? A couple making $50,000/year, what would be a fair percentage for them? If they made $100,000? Or $250,000? Why don't some of you suggest a fair percentage for those I just mentioned and for those making 1 to 5 to 10 million dollars/year? Do a little research and crunch some numbers and see what you would impose if you were fighting two wars, trying to maintain an infrastructure, keep the agencies open that serve the American people, etc. Do not forget to consider the special needs of your own state, things that are important to you, but those from the other forty-nine states call pork. See if you could balance a federal budget, and at the same time pay down the trillions of dollars of the national debt.
Google should have the information you will need to make a ballpark estimate.

Very, very, very simple. Establish the "poverty line" below which no one pays anything.

After that a FLAT, consumption based tax. If you make $35,000/yr or $350,000/yr you pay the same RATE on consumption. If you the $350,000/yr family consumes the same amount of goods and services the $35,000 family does their tax burden is IDENTICAL (because, for whatever odd reason the $350,000 folks are living a $35,000 lifestyle).

Wuh? That's just silly, Kevin. The states cannot restrict freedom of expression or the right to bear arms or anything else that can be construed as a civil right. If that were true, each and every state could deny guns to their citizens.

We were speaking hypothetically. The state Constitution would have to authorize the state government to restrict those freedoms, and I doubt there are any state Constitutions that do that and I doubt that the citizens of the states would vote to amend their Constitution to do so.

However, the United States Constitution does not apply to the states whatsoever. It only applies to the federal government.
Actually it applies to the citizens of the country.

Did you miss the DC gun ruling?

Washington DC is FEDERAL property run exclusively BY the Federal Government, You may want to check where DC gets its money from. The 10 mile square of land that is DC is FEDERAL. It is IN the Constitution.

We were speaking hypothetically. The state Constitution would have to authorize the state government to restrict those freedoms, and I doubt there are any state Constitutions that do that and I doubt that the citizens of the states would vote to amend their Constitution to do so.

However, the United States Constitution does not apply to the states whatsoever. It only applies to the federal government.
Actually it applies to the citizens of the country.

Did you miss the DC gun ruling?

Washington DC is FEDERAL property run exclusively BY the Federal Government, You may want to check where DC gets its money from. The 10 mile square of land that is DC is FEDERAL. It is IN the Constitution.
So the mayor is actually powerless and so too are the citizens that live there? Do you think a state can constitutionally decide that its citizens may not own guns?

Forum List

Back