Who should pay, and how much

Discussion in 'Economy' started by IMDaugur, Apr 13, 2009.

1. IMDaugur

IMDaugur Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15
    With all of the talk for the need to cut taxes and spending, if given the opportunity, what would the people here on this board offer as a solution? A couple making $50,000/year, what would be a fair percentage for them? If they made $100,000? Or $250,000? Why don't some of you suggest a fair percentage for those I just mentioned and for those making 1 to 5 to 10 million dollars/year? Do a little research and crunch some numbers and see what you would impose if you were fighting two wars, trying to maintain an infrastructure, keep the agencies open that serve the American people, etc. Do not forget to consider the special needs of your own state, things that are important to you, but those from the other forty-nine states call pork. See if you could balance a federal budget, and at the same time pay down the trillions of dollars of the national debt.
    Google should have the information you will need to make a ballpark estimate.

2. Dis

Dis Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    So what did you come up with?

3. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,096
  4. IMDaugur

IMDaugur Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Most of you would not like my numbers and the taxes and spending cuts I would propose, so with that said, it is up to those of you who want to cut taxes and spending to come up with your own plans. As I said, a ballpark estimate is all that any of us would expect. Parroting either the right or the left will accomplish nothing. Numbers are what it is all about.

5. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    At this stage of the game?

Two people making $50K combined in most parts of the USA shouldn't pay any taxes whatever.

They are basically POOR (if they were not asset rich to begin with)

6. Skull Pilot

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,096
    I disagree. There should be a some sort of minimum tax that must be paid by everyone. I don't care if it's $5 a week but everyone should contribute.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. IMDaugur

IMDaugur Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15
    As a couple they would both be making over twelve dollars an hour each, and that is considered an excellent wage by most employers.

8. Skull Pilot

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,096
    I know people who manage to own a home and raise a kid on a combined income of 50K. They even have electricity and cable. Shocking huh?

9. IMDaugur

IMDaugur Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Everyone does pay taxes, if you work, you pay into Social Security no matter what your wage, sales taxes, if you drive taxes on gasoline and auto registration fees, misc sin taxes, those and others, even if you do not pay any income tax. But that is not the point of my original post, it is what some of you posting here would do if taxation and government spending decisions were up to you?

10. Skull Pilot

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,096
    I was referring to income tax which more than 40% of the population do not pay.