Who says Obama won't work with the Republicans?

Except that it's no spin. McConnell has previously flat out said that the agenda for the new Republican leadership will be to assure that Obama is a one-term president. Just yesterday, following the phony "bipartisanship" meeting at the WH, McConnell confirmed that Republicans intended to block everything the lame duck tries to pass until he gets what he wants on the tax cut extension--which means extend them or else. It's political extortion.

Republicans have no intention of seeking bipartisanship on anything. They never have. And it WILL come back to bite them in the ass. Again.
I suspect that Republicans in the House will have little interest in compromising with Obama on any of their legislation particular in regard to the economy. Anything they can do to keep unemployment high will boost the chances for the next Republican presidential candidate. Unfortunately, for the folks in the unemployment lines, a robust economy in 2 years is not in the best interest of the Republican party.

The Democrats have had 2 years to lower unemployment and despite spending unprecedented amounts of money have failed miserably.
What makes you think GOP policies could possibly be worse??

Hmm, if the GOP policies are bad, why do we want to change anything. It might get worse.

Obama has bent himself into a pretzel trying to work with the Republican Party and in the process alienated many of the democrats. It's just nonsense that the democrats controlled both houses for two years and because Obama had to "work" in a "bipartisan" way with the Republicans, very little got done, people got mad, and changed it up. And now...again...nothing will happen while the Republicans hold us hostage and Obama dithers around. Good grief.

Obama has bent himself into a pretzel trying to work with the Republican Party and in the process alienated many of the democrats. It's just nonsense that the democrats controlled both houses for two years and because Obama had to "work" in a "bipartisan" way with the Republicans, very little got done, people got mad, and changed it up. And now...again...nothing will happen while the Republicans hold us hostage and Obama dithers around. Good grief.

Why are you lying? The democrats controlled the house and senate and did not need to be bipartisan. The democrats killed themself not the republicans.

The Republicans work? Couldn't prove that by me. Would never say Congress is ever the most functionally efficient spot on the American map. However, considering the utter failure over the last 2 years of the Democrats to govern and over the past 10 years of the Republicans to behave like mature adults, I'm not expecting anyone to work with anyone to accomplish anything.

The Republicans work? Couldn't prove that by me. Would never say Congress is ever the most functionally efficient spot on the American map. However, considering the utter failure over the last 2 years of the Democrats to govern and over the past 10 years of the Republicans to behave like mature adults, I'm not expecting anyone to work with anyone to accomplish anything.

What are you basing this past 10 year thing on?
Last time I checked in the last 10 years democrats have controlled congress for the last 4 years.
But what the heck since were talking about who has controlled what. The democrats have controlled congress since 1945 almost 60 years. Thats as old as most of us here.

I would expect Americans to think that it's THEIR job to prosecute Americans under their own laws if needed, rather than some other nation's, so this doesn't really surprise me. I would expect the same from Republican administrations.

I suspect that Republicans in the House will have little interest in compromising with Obama on any of their legislation particular in regard to the economy. Anything they can do to keep unemployment high will boost the chances for the next Republican presidential candidate. Unfortunately, for the folks in the unemployment lines, a robust economy in 2 years is not in the best interest of the Republican party.

The Democrats have had 2 years to lower unemployment and despite spending unprecedented amounts of money have failed miserably.
What GOP policies? They have yet to say how they would pull the country out the recession.

The GOP plans on extending unemployment benefits for another 2 years and allowing the Bush tax cuts to expire in January.
Oh wait, no they don't.
I guess you're wrong.

Except that it's no spin. McConnell has previously flat out said that the agenda for the new Republican leadership will be to assure that Obama is a one-term president. Just yesterday, following the phony "bipartisanship" meeting at the WH, McConnell confirmed that Republicans intended to block everything the lame duck tries to pass until he gets what he wants on the tax cut extension--which means extend them or else. It's political extortion.

Republicans have no intention of seeking bipartisanship on anything. They never have. And it WILL come back to bite them in the ass. Again.

We don't. And that's because they HAVE NO PLAN. How could anyone possibly know if it would be better? Simply retaining or extending the tax cuts will do squat. Have they helped over the last 8 years? If so, kindly point out where, other than an expansion of households worth $1 million or more growing by nearly 9 million by 2009.

I'm disappointed too. Obama continues to believe these little "meetings" with Republican leadership will lead to at least agreeing to disagree and begin working on the disparate problems in earnest from there. But as soon as they leave the room, they grab a mike and start just saying no, again. It's all bullshit fakery by McConnell, Boehner, et al., and it really IS time for Obama to just give them a genuine smackdown. If they continue to obstruct by demanding that the wealthy tax cuts remain in place, Obama should just let the tax cuts expire. Period. That'll learn 'em.

We don't. And that's because they HAVE NO PLAN. How could anyone possibly know if it would be better? Simply retaining or extending the tax cuts will do squat. Have they helped over the last 8 years? If so, kindly point out where, other than an expansion of households worth $1 million or more growing by nearly 9 million by 2009.

Maggie...with all due respect...

We have found that borrowing a trillion dollars has not helped one iota. The alternative from day one was to let economic nature take its course. It has been shown in the past that recessions, when left alone, last anywhere from 6 to 16 months....most are due to market saturation and eventually, changes in technology and overall obsllescence of goods allows a slow and steady recovery.

No one is asking for tax cuts. We are simply asking to allow the economy to recover. Once we have recovered, we can then address the debt and discuss ways to elimninate it. It seems we have addressed the deficit (I say seems, but we shall see)....now let the economy recover, then address the debt.

It may not seem like a plan to you...but it IS an alternative plan.

Bear in mind....a trillion dollars and it got us no where. Sure, it is easy to say "imagione if NOT the trillion dollars"....but that is pure speculation and political rhetoric.

Why are you lying? The democrats controlled the house and senate and did not need to be bipartisan. The democrats killed themself not the republicans.

Don't be so naive. Democrats, for one thing, unlike Republicans when they have a majority, never vote in lockstep. Ever. They also continued to try to draw in bipartisan support. How many actually know that Republican amendments included in the health care bill numbered 161? Yet, you continue to hear/read that Republicans were SHUT OUT, or that the Dems RAMMED THROUGH health care with no Republican input.

I'm disappointed too. Obama continues to believe these little "meetings" with Republican leadership will lead to at least agreeing to disagree and begin working on the disparate problems in earnest from there. But as soon as they leave the room, they grab a mike and start just saying no, again. It's all bullshit fakery by McConnell, Boehner, et al., and it really IS time for Obama to just give them a genuine smackdown. If they continue to obstruct by demanding that the wealthy tax cuts remain in place, Obama should just let the tax cuts expire. Period. That'll learn 'em.

Putting aside the political rhetoric...

Exactly why should any American be given something that another American is not given?

As I said earlier.....the wealthy have the right to welfare, but their income does not allow for ir.

So why should the less wealthy get a tax cut but not the wealthy?

This is America...all have equal rights and liberties.

What you are suggesting is legislation that ONLY affects one group of people....

Don't be so naive. Democrats, for one thing, unlike Republicans when they have a majority, never vote in lockstep. Ever. They also continued to try to draw in bipartisan support. How many actually know that Republican amendments included in the health care bill numbered 161? Yet, you continue to hear/read that Republicans were SHUT OUT, or that the Dems RAMMED THROUGH health care with no Republican input.

Disingenuous...and you are better than that Maggie.

Ammednemnts that amnount to little or nothing are irrelevant.

Major issues and suggestions of the GOP were completely ignored.

Many of the GOP smaller ammenedments were for show so people like you can toss it around in a debate.

Last time I checked in the last 10 years democrats have controlled congress for the last 4 years.
But what the heck since were talking about who has controlled what. The democrats have controlled congress since 1945 almost 60 years. Thats as old as most of us here.

That basically means nothing. The direction of the country is led by the president, and Congress reacts accordingly. Spending has risen exponentially from the 6.9% of GDP at the start of the 20th century as the country's population expanded and modernized due to industrialization.

Maggie...with all due respect...

We have found that borrowing a trillion dollars has not helped one iota. The alternative from day one was to let economic nature take its course. It has been shown in the past that recessions, when left alone, last anywhere from 6 to 16 months....most are due to market saturation and eventually, changes in technology and overall obsllescence of goods allows a slow and steady recovery.

No one is asking for tax cuts. We are simply asking to allow the economy to recover. Once we have recovered, we can then address the debt and discuss ways to elimninate it. It seems we have addressed the deficit (I say seems, but we shall see)....now let the economy recover, then address the debt.

It may not seem like a plan to you...but it IS an alternative plan.

Bear in mind....a trillion dollars and it got us no where. Sure, it is easy to say "imagione if NOT the trillion dollars"....but that is pure speculation and political rhetoric.
Just about everybody seems to agree that we should not let the tax cuts expire for the middle class because it would be a job killer and could push the country into another recession. However, we should not forget that we have a 1.3 trillion dollar deficit riding on our back. Standard and Poors and Moody's have been making some pretty negative comments about the US deficit. If the ratings on US treasuries were downgraded, interest rates would increase, not just on treasuries but all interest rates in the US. In addition it would probably add another 100 billion in interest payments to the deficit. The stock market would take a noise dive along with the rest of the economy.

But consider what would happen if Congress let the tax cuts for everyone expire as scheduled. According to Moody's Analytics, the deficit would drop to $732 billion. That's well below the $1.3 trillion deficit for the budget year that ended Sept. 30. At the same time, the economy would suffer, Moody's says: Growth would tail off to just 0.9 percent next year. That's scarcely more than a recessionary pace. And unemployment would average 10.7 percent next year.

An alternative is to keep the tax cuts and depend on Congress to slash spending. This is about as likely as the Republicans cheering Obama at the State of Union speech.

How Congress' tax-cut decision may affect economy - wtop.com

Who says Obama won't work with the Republicans?

The Republicans say it all the time. They want everything to be his Waterloo. They want to "bring him down". They want to make sure he's a "one term president".

They will stall everything unless they get tax cuts for millionaires and billionaires. For Republicans, the number one issue is how we treat our "rich people". They believe you can tell the way a nation is headed by how well "rich people" are treated.

If it weren't for the ultra rich, where would be be? Everything trickles down.

I wish something, or someone , would bring you down. Seriously shut the fuck up with your incessant whining about the Republicans.

That basically means nothing. The direction of the country is led by the president, and Congress reacts accordingly. Spending has risen exponentially from the 6.9% of GDP at the start of the 20th century as the country's population expanded and modernized due to industrialization.

Congress controls spending to president doesn't.

Disingenuous...and you are better than that Maggie.

Ammednemnts that amnount to little or nothing are irrelevant.

Major issues and suggestions of the GOP were completely ignored.

Many of the GOP smaller ammenedments were for show so people like you can toss it around in a debate.

She won't get it. She hasn't gotten the comprehension skills to see past her democratic liberal views.

Forum List

Back