Who Pays the Taxes? Who Should?

What is your preference for a federal tax system?

• Do away with income and business taxes and go to a fee system.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • The rich should pay more.

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • Keep the system as it is now.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lower taxes for all.

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • A flat tax for all.

Votes: 28 48.3%
  • Other and I'll specify in my post

Votes: 9 15.5%

• Total voters
Great, maybe then you can help me explain that to Claudette, who I see is reading these posts because she just thanked your previous post, yet she doesn't want to respond to the facts that I've pointed out to her.

Yes you've pointed out some facts but you also don't seem to want to admit that we have loads of freeloaders in this country. Thats a fact as well.

Folks who pay for nothing but have no problem sucking up anything they can from the taxpayers of this country.

Those are the folks I have a problem with. They have no skin in the game and if they have their way they never will.

I've pointed out that 17% are the "free loaders who pay nothing", the rest of the "47%" you mentioned do in fact pay taxes. And I also showed who makes up that 17% who pay nothing. Mostly elderly and disabled. Are these the people you have a problem with and would like to discuss?

BUT.. you do neglect to state that they in fact pay the very same 'other taxes' that everyone else also pays.. they are still getting a free ride on federal income tax which is wrong and by definition unequal treatment by government under law.. the only ones who should be paying zero are those who truly earn zero... You earn $1 or $1MIL is of no consequence, you earned something and you should be paying that tax on dollar 1 that you are paying on dollar 1000000001

I thought about including the Fair Tax among the options, but so few undestand it and any form of value added tax administered by the federal government bothers me. How many of us are old enough to remember when there was no sales tax. But we didn't mind so much when a tiny sales tax was added to most products we buy because we didn't notice the small difference in prices so much. And we don't notice the quarter cent increments added on for the same reason. Until one day we realize that beginng half cent tax or whatever has grown to 8 cents to 10 cents or more on almost every dollar we spend. But I;m glad you brought it up under the 'other' option.

I shudder to think how a greedy Congress and federal bureaucracy with strong motives to use our money to increase their own personal power, influence, and wealth would find reasons to manipulate a fair tax system by granting so many deductions and exemptions and advantages to special interest groups that it would quickly become unrecognizable. I can see the tax code becoming more a nightmare than it already is not to mention incremental tax creep.

A flat tax system that would be applied uniformly across the entire population would be much more difficult to manipulate because every constituency would experience the effects of tax increases or tax reductions. And that is the way it should be in an honest and explicitly fair system.

I'm no expert on the Fair Tax by any measure. What I know of it is from listening to Neal Boortz discuss it on his radio show many, many times. To implement the Fair Tax as it is written, the current tax code has to be eliminated. There is no mixing and matching other than a transition period. There is no income tax or capital gains or deductions or loopholes. There are no multiple taxes for the same thing in the supply chain. There is an allowance for very low income people. There are safeguards put in place for the mechanism of changing the rate of the tax. What it boils down to is a national sales tax and you are in control of your own spending. If you don't want to pay a lot in tax, you don't buy that second yacht or third pair of overpriced Nikes. Everyone brings home their full paycheck and everyone is taxed the same based on how much they purchase. Everyone pays their "fair share" which should make all the liberals really, really happy.

Not all veterans receive benefits... and those are an EMPLOYMENT BENEFIT as part of contractual compensation... What next?? Obamalama himself is a receiver of a subsidy because he is employed by the Fed??

You are a goddamn idiot

They're still benefits. And, by Republican thinking--yes, Obama is also a federal beneficiary, because his salary is paid for by the taxpayers.

We had our greatest prosperity when the rich paid a top marginal rate of 93%, and a third of the workforce was unionized.

Simply put, when you make greed impractical, you limit its bad effects.

In 1980, the average CEO made 40 times what a line worker made.

Today the average CEO makes 478 times what a line worker makes.

Mitt Romney pays 14% tax rates on eight figures of income, and he didn't even claim all the deductions he was entitled to- yet. (He will after he loses the election.)

You do know that when the so called rich were paying 90% in 1952 that the lowest tax bracket (those making 0 to $4000 a year) was over 20% don't you?

Of course you don't because you are a fucking partisan sheep hack.

That, and no one actually paid 90%.

That is true. The highest tax rate is lower now than it was then, but there are far fewer ways to deduct or shelter income now than there was then. And for that reason much less of the income is deducted or sheltered which actually increased the revenues to the treasury because the wealthy were punished less for using their money.

And this goes to the heart of the matter.

Are you so resentful and envious of the rich that you want them punished even though that punishment is a drag on the economy and reduces treasury revenues? (See why this is in the example provided in the OP.)

Or do you want a tax system that best encourages the private sector to prosper at all levels? (The same example supports this concept.)

Last edited:
Yes you've pointed out some facts but you also don't seem to want to admit that we have loads of freeloaders in this country. Thats a fact as well.

Folks who pay for nothing but have no problem sucking up anything they can from the taxpayers of this country.

Those are the folks I have a problem with. They have no skin in the game and if they have their way they never will.

I've pointed out that 17% are the "free loaders who pay nothing", the rest of the "47%" you mentioned do in fact pay taxes. And I also showed who makes up that 17% who pay nothing. Mostly elderly and disabled. Are these the people you have a problem with and would like to discuss?

BUT.. you do neglect to state that they in fact pay the very same 'other taxes' that everyone else also pays.. they are still getting a free ride on federal income tax which is wrong and by definition unequal treatment by government under law.. the only ones who should be paying zero are those who truly earn zero... You earn $1 or $1MIL is of no consequence, you earned something and you should be paying that tax on dollar 1 that you are paying on dollar 1000000001

Right, some people pay some taxes, some pay others. But the point is these people are not paying absolutely nothing as Claudette is trying to infer. Most of them in fact still contribute to a large chunk of the taxes that the government collects.

I know you're trying to steer the conversation to your absolute flat tax wet dream conversation, but let's try and stick to one topic at a time.

And the topic we were discussing is the fact that these people do, in fact, have "skin in the game".

What I am inferring is they pay no Fed taxes.

Not no taxes at all. State and Local taxes are not Fed taxes.

Right, some people pay some taxes, some pay others. But the point is these people are not paying absolutely nothing as Claudette is trying to infer. Most of them in fact still contribute to a large chunk of the taxes that the government collects.

I know you're trying to steer the conversation to your absolute flat tax wet dream conversation, but let's try and stick to one topic at a time.

And the topic we were discussing is the fact that these people do, in fact, have "skin in the game".

But they do not have skin in the income tax game, which is the point... and I believe it was the point that Claudette was trying to make..

You are saying this like some pay tax I and some pay taxes P, S, and Z... when in fact some pay tax P, S, and Z and some pay I, P, S, and Z... it is not like those paying income tax are not paying the other taxes... it is bullshit to argue that because these people pay the 'other taxes' so it is ok that they do not pay income tax... and before you start, don't bring the bullshit subjective 'fairness' into it

I asked you this before and I don't think you answered. The whole "no skin in the game" argument is pretty funny.

So, let me ask again. Is Federal income tax the only tax that matters?

Nope.

Some of that 49% do pay State and Local but State and Local Taxes don't fund the Govt. STate and local taxes fund the State and municipalities.

In fact I think the State and Local taxes are far more important to me as an individual than the Fed Taxes. But the fact remains that the Govt beast has to be fed and everyone should be feeding it. Including that pesky 49%.

RD thats my opinion. Yours may differ and I respect your opinion but it ain't mine buddy and it never will be.

Do you think the Federal government is funded solely by income taxes? It's actually less than 50% funded by federal income taxes, which makes your focus on that single portion a rather limited and incorrect view of people and them having "no skin in the game".

You do realize that there are other taxes that people pay that fund the federal government, don't you?

The most recent breakdown for federal revenues I found was this:

47.4% - Personal Income Taxes
35.6% - Payroll Taxes (already a flat tax applied uniformly across the board)
7.9% - Corporate Taxes
5.7% - Customs, duties, misc.
3.1% - Excise Taxes
.3% - Estate and gift taxes
http://www.heritage.org/federalbudget/federal-revenue-sources

I am not including payroll taxes in the consideration here because they are a different thing, are not supposed to be used for general treasury iexpenditures (even though they are), and theoretically those paying into that system can expect to get their money back when they start drawing social security, medicare benefits, etc. People pay payroll taxes technically for their own benefit only.

Very few of us are paying anything in customs or estate/gift taxes because we simply are not exposed to those taxes. The more rich are, and I would guess that it is the very wealthy who are paying 90% or more of those taxes. We all do pay excise taxes when we buy gasoline, on a potion of our phone bill, etc., but those who don't own automobiles, who receive free Obamaphones, etc. are exposed to very little of those, and any add on taxes to high value items (so called luxury taxes) are paid almost 100% by the rich.

As personal and corporate taxes make up the lion' share (55.3%) of all federal taxes paid, those are the one this thread is focused on. If you are concerned about the others, I'm sure those would be an interesting thread too.

Last edited:

But they do not have skin in the income tax game, which is the point... and I believe it was the point that Claudette was trying to make..

You are saying this like some pay tax I and some pay taxes P, S, and Z... when in fact some pay tax P, S, and Z and some pay I, P, S, and Z... it is not like those paying income tax are not paying the other taxes... it is bullshit to argue that because these people pay the 'other taxes' so it is ok that they do not pay income tax... and before you start, don't bring the bullshit subjective 'fairness' into it

YES Finally. Jeeze.

You do know that when the so called rich were paying 90% in 1952 that the lowest tax bracket (those making 0 to $4000 a year) was over 20% don't you?

Of course you don't because you are a fucking partisan sheep hack.

That is true. The highest tax rate is lower now than it was then, but there are far fewer ways to deduct or shelter income now than there was then. And for that reason much less of the income is deducted or sheltered which actually increased the revenues to the treasury because the wealthy were punished less for using their money.

Are you so resentful and envious of the rich that you want them punished even though that punishment is a drag on the economy and reduces treasury revenues? (See why this is in the example provided in the OP.)

Or do you want a tax system that best encourages the private sector to prosper at all levels? (The same example supports this concept.)

There are also more bullshit deductions and refundable tax credits now than then

My aunt and uncle have an annual retirement income of under $40k per year when their daughter, an only child, died from a quick killing case of meningitis. They were devasted of course. She had invested wisely over her working career plus had received a couple of inheritances and was quite wealthy herself and devoted herself to them. She did not expect them to outlive her, so she left the bulk of her estate to charity and they couldn't touch it. But she had made them beneficiary of her well financed retirement fund and so for one year they were millionaires. And they paid an enormous amount of taxes on that inheritance that year which put them well below millionaire status.

Many millionaires are millionaire in just that way and for that short a time. And others, with ever changing business cycles, rotate in and out of millionaire status according to the way the financial winds are blowing in any given year.

But again, take away the financial success of those with lots of money or excessively punish them for that wealth, and they have no choice but to shelter their income and we definitely would miss the contributions they now make.

Just like the example in the OP, the Bush tax cuts gave the very rich a smaller percentage of tax break than everybody else got. And it triggered substantial economic growth, but all the greedy and envious seem tobe able to focus on is that the smaller percentage the rich enjoyed equaled more actual money than the larger percentage others enjoyed. And they don't want to hear how much or most of the rich's 'windfall' made it into the private sector economy for the benefit of all.

There are also more bullshit deductions and refundable tax credits now than then

Only for the poor. Not for the rich.

But I've shown you that they do in fact pay federal taxes. Did you ignore that part? Did it not make sense? I am not sure why you are refusing to understand this.

Remember before when I said you are unable to have a rational discussion? This is what I was talking about. When you are presented with facts, that you either refused to read of didn't have any disagreement with, you still revert back to your original statement which is blatantly false.

So whats the problem here with what we're discussing? Do you just not want to listen to the facts or do you not understand what they mean?

Actually, you're wrong about what she meant. See her post above as proof. You seem to understand that these people do in fact have skin in the game, she can't quite grasp that.

But I've shown you that they do in fact pay federal taxes. Did you ignore that part? Did it not make sense? I am not sure why you are refusing to understand this.

Remember before when I said you are unable to have a rational discussion? This is what I was talking about. When you are presented with facts, that you either refused to read of didn't have any disagreement with, you still revert back to your original statement which is blatantly false.

So whats the problem here with what we're discussing? Do you just not want to listen to the facts or do you not understand what they mean?

And I showed you very clearly what taxes are being paid. Yes, those in the bottom 50% do pay payroll taxes at the exact same percentage as do the very rich. Both are considered to be contributing to their own retirement and Medicare funds when they do so, however, and theoretically that is not money to be used for anything other than retirement benefits and Medicare. Those in the bottom 50% are paying only a tiny percentage of all other taxes collected by the federal government and therefore have no inestment if all those other taxes are increased for everybody else.

And THAT is an unhealthy situation any way you look at it.

Last edited:

YES Finally. Jeeze.

LOL, but that's not what you just said. I understand now Claudette. You seem like a nice person, you're just obviously in way over your head and you don't want to understand. So go ahead and let other people do your arguments for you, even though it contradicts what you said.

Thanks anyway.

"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

I use that as my sigline :)

It sounds good at first reading, but it is pure nonsense. Capital exists, without labor, and always has. Capital is also natural resources, and they predated labor.

Too many people equate capital with money, but capital is just about everything in the production process that is not labor. Tools, machinery, raw materials, land, buildings, rolling stock, etc.

And I showed you very clearly what taxes are being paid. Yes, those in the bottom 50% do pay payroll taxes at the exact same percentage as do the very rich. Both are considered to be contributing to their own retirement and Medicare funds when they do so, however, and theoretically that is not money to be used for anything other than retirement benefits and Medicare. Those in the bottom 50% are paying only a tiny percentage of all other taxes collected by the federal government and therefore have no inestment if all those other taxes are increased for everybody else.

So those people ARE paying taxes and DO have skin in the game. They are not receiving those government entitlements from money that they didn't contribute, because they did in fact. That's the point. Most people do contribute....is it equal across the board. Of course not, but the point is that saying "47% have no skin in the game" or "pay nothing in federal taxes" is wrong.

Thanks for providing further support for that.

We can have another conversation about how much skin everyone should have but at least we can agree that most people do in fact have "skin in the game".

You can't be that stupid. There is a SS tax cut off at around $100,000 so the more you make over the cut off the lower your SS tax %. Furthermore capital gains tycoons pay NO SS tax on their capital gains and capital gains tycoons are the richest of the rich.

"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

I use that as my sigline :)

It sounds good at first reading, but it is pure nonsense. Capital exists, without labor, and always has. Capital is also natural resources, and they predated labor.

Too many people equate capital with money, but capital is just about everything in the production process that is not labor. Tools, machinery, raw materials, land, buildings, rolling stock, etc.

And going back to John Locke, the Founders' embraced and included in their concept of unalienable rights that property precedes government and that property acquired legally must be held sacrosanct and untouchable by government. They would not have approved of school taxes being based on property values, for instance, but that is a battle to be fought at the local level, and this thread focuses on federal taxes only.

Labor belongs to us, however, and we have the unalienable right to us it for our own benefit. In our system, government does not own our labor any more than it owns our property. And the person is free to sell his/her labor for an agreed amount (wage/commission etc.) which makes it a commodity as much as any other input.

Forum List

Back