Who likes grunge??

good gawd that's terrible

It's better than your death metal with the constipated singers! :D I take it you don't like grunge music?

Bah, you just couldn't help taking a shot at death metal, huh? :p
no she cant lol
I think me and you are about the only ones with taste around here

You have terrible taste. TER-RI-BLE. :) Just go to your local nursing home to hear the same sounds that you call singing on your death metal music. :D

You know, I almost never call it singing. I call it growling. It's obviously not traditional singing. :)

That's my whole problem with it. I can be listening and enjoying and saying to myself, well this is kind of nice, and then the "singing" starts, and I'm like . . . what the hell is THAT? :D

check out a day to remember. They can be hardcore and that guy can SING. Like actually sing, not scream lol

It's better than your death metal with the constipated singers! :D I take it you don't like grunge music?

no she cant lol

You have terrible taste. TER-RI-BLE. :) Just go to your local nursing home to hear the same sounds that you call singing on your death metal music. :D

You know, I almost never call it singing. I call it growling. It's obviously not traditional singing. :)

That's my whole problem with it. I can be listening and enjoying and saying to myself, well this is kind of nice, and then the "singing" starts, and I'm like . . . what the hell is THAT? :D

What death metal songs are you listening to that make you think, "This is kind of nice" before the growling begins? :lol:

no she cant lol

What death metal songs are you listening to that make you think, "This is kind of nice" before the growling begins? :lol:

Lots of them. I've listened to many on the heavy metal threads and I like them until that growling. That ruins the whole song! :(

Proto-grunge

Velvet Underground- I´m Waiting for the Man

You're in the wrong thread. Lou isn't grunge, lol. :lol:
Proto-grunge. Did you listen? It's the grand daddy of grunge. Just like Neil Young is the Godfather of Grunge.

Neil Young- Cinnamon Girl

Neil Young is grunge? That's funny, because he's not grunge, he's trying to be real rock... And failing badly.

Proto-grunge

Velvet Underground- I´m Waiting for the Man

You're in the wrong thread. Lou isn't grunge, lol. :lol:
Proto-grunge. Did you listen? It's the grand daddy of grunge. Just like Neil Young is the Godfather of Grunge.

Neil Young- Cinnamon Girl

Neil Young is grunge? That's funny, because he's not grunge, he's trying to be real rock... And failing badly.

He called Neil Young the godfather of grunge. As in, an influence, not that Young was a grunge artist.

Not grunge?!?! He's the original grunge, The Grungefather.

Neil Young- Rockin' In The Free World

The album Freedom is considered to be one of the ten most important albums in the history of alternative music. Pagewise in 2001 said:
"Despite what some Nirvana fans might say, this is the album that started it all. Neil Young is the grandfather of grunge. 'Freedom,' which Young released in 1989, was the first true alternative album. It seems a stretch to call an album by someone Young's age alternative, but the label is applied to the music, not the artist. The edgy guitar-driven songs on “Freedom” set it apart from Young’s other albums, which tend toward the mellow folk rock end of the spectrum. If “Freedom” is the first true alternative album, “Rockin’ in the Free World” is the first true alternative song. Almost as a compromise to his CSN&Y fans, Young put two versions of “Rockin’ in the Free World” on “Freedom,” a mellow live acoustic version and a more energetic and less refined studio version. “Rockin’ in the Free World” was a largely forgotten song by the time Nirvana released “Nevermind” but it was revived by Pearl Jam, who frequently plays it live and played it with Young at the 1993 MTV Video Music Awards. Thanks to a little campaigning by Pearl Jam, “Rockin’ in the Free World” has been able to take its much-deserved place as an alternative anthem for the ages. According to Josh Korr in Valley News, "Neil Young officially became the 'Godfather of Grunge' when Pearl Jam backed him on "Rockin In The Free World" at the 1993 MTV Video Music Awards." Certainly the legendary Rockin' In the Free World performance established a link between the grunge scene, Pearl Jam and Neil Young.

Neil Young Godfather of Grunge

Music threads are not for trolling or flaming - they are for posting music - if you don't like Grunge, that's fine - but take it elsewhere please.

These guys may have just been the founders of grunge music. Grunge is kind of like a combination of punk rock and rock and roll, wouldn't you say?

The B-Side to "Touch Me I'm Sick" is superior "Sweet Young Thing Ain't Sweet No More"

Depends what you mean, eg. I detest Nirvana, for obvious reasons, and things like Soundgarden and Pearl Jam etc were always mainstream.

Grunge as in proper, essentially a combination of The Stooges, early Black Sabbath and The U-Men, mixed together, you get Grunge.

Mudhoney a very great band, Mudhoney also have a Free Jazz side project called Bloodclot, also very good.

The Melvins until they lost the plot, early to mid-Tad also good, with the exception of the song "Nipple Belt" which appears on Tad's first album "God's Balls", a song that begins:

"My name is Ed Gein...."

Um, no, I once unfortunately watched a documentary about him and I had to sleep with the light on for nearly a week :eek-52:

Where was I? Oh yes, Codeine, a brilliant band, but more Slowcore, then again early to mid-Melvins are Slowcore.

Some of the above also fall into the Sludge Metal Genre, which is a mixture of Doom Metal and Hardcore, The Melvins probably started the Sludge Metal Genre single-handedly themselves.

Bizarro fact, Shirley Temple's daughter was in The Melvins, Lori Temple Black.

So, Mudhoney, The Melvins, early-to-mid Tad, everything else too Mainstream or Wannabe Mainstream and Codeine, more Slowcore, but a great band.

These guys may have just been the founders of grunge music. Grunge is kind of like a combination of punk rock and rock and roll, wouldn't you say?

The B-Side to "Touch Me I'm Sick" is superior "Sweet Young Thing Ain't Sweet No More"

Depends what you mean, eg. I detest Nirvana, for obvious reasons, and things like Soundgarden and Pearl Jam etc were always mainstream.

Grunge as in proper, essentially a combination of The Stooges, early Black Sabbath and The U-Men, mixed together, you get Grunge.

Mudhoney a very great band, Mudhoney also have a Free Jazz side project called Bloodclot, also very good.

The Melvins until they lost the plot, early to mid-Tad also good, with the exception of the song "Nipple Belt" which appears on Tad's first album "God's Balls", a song that begins:

"My name is Ed Gein...."

Um, no, I once unfortunately watched a documentary about him and I had to sleep with the light on for nearly a week :eek-52:

Where was I? Oh yes, Codeine, a brilliant band, but more Slowcore, then again early to mid-Melvins are Slowcore.

Some of the above also fall into the Sludge Metal Genre, which is a mixture of Doom Metal and Hardcore, The Melvins probably started the Sludge Metal Genre single-handedly themselves.

Bizarro fact, Shirley Temple's daughter was in The Melvins, Lori Temple Black.

So, Mudhoney, The Melvins, early-to-mid Tad, everything else too Mainstream or Wannabe Mainstream and Codeine, more Slowcore, but a great band.

These recordings were released two years before I was born, so this is like OLD music, anything pre-my birth is old stuff.

Mudhoney "Sweet Young Thing Ain't Sweet No More", the B-Side to "Touch Me I'm Sick" released on 7" in 1988 on Sub Pop Records.

Sonic Youth and Mudhoney had a split 7" on Sub Pop also released in 1988, where Sonic Youth covered Mudhoney's "Touch Me I'm Sick" and Mudhoney covered Sonic Youth's "Halloween"

Sonic Youth "Touch Me I'm Sick"

Edited to add comment.

Last edited:

Death Metal ie. Black Metal has now developed into a myriad of new sub-Genres, some bands incorporate ALL the sub-Genres into one sound.

Doom metal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Drone metal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Avant-garde metal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dark ambient - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The best example of this are Sunn O))), who are from Seattle and have been in operation since 1998.

This household likes Sunn O))).

I add it's pronounced Sun, and not Sunn O, the O))) is silent, they named themselves after the Sunn Amplifier logo:

Sunn.png

Sunn O))) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)))

What they do is Black Metal + Doom Metal + Drone Metal + Avant-Garde Metal + Dark Ambient, it's very hypnotic and it's very slowed down (because of the Drone aspect) and it all sounds like this:

Sunn O))) "Kannon 2" from their album "Kannon" released in 2015 on Southern Lord Records.

Edited to add comment.

Last edited:

Death Metal ie. Black Metal has now developed into a myriad of new sub-Genres, some bands incorporate ALL the sub-Genres into one sound.

Doom metal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Drone metal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Avant-garde metal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dark ambient - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The best example of this are Sunn O))), who are from Seattle and have been in operation since 1998.

This household likes Sunn O))).

Sunn O))) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)))

What they do is Black Metal + Doom Metal + Drone Metal + Avant-Garde Metal + Dark Ambient, it's very hypnotic and it's very slowed down (because of the Drone aspect) and it all sounds like this:

Sunn O))) "Kannon 2" from their album "Kannon" released in 2015 on Southern Lord Records.

Edited to add comment.

Death metal and black metal are not the same thing. ;)

Forum List

Back