Who is the smartest liberal?

$img016.jpgtony benn

Sorry but you can not use Smart and Liberal in the same sentence much less as one being an adjective for the other. Oxymoron INDEED.

The question should be which dumb ass Liberal THINKS they are the smartest.

What is a liberal?

If you think Obama is one, then we disagree about the meaning of the term

Threads like this prove what a terrible thing a two party states is for the standard of political debate.

Oh, and to answer the question - how about Sartre, Derrida or Foucault?

OMG, thats such a great question that someone needs to start a POLL so we can vote on it. One thing, they MUST be alive so that the dems could rally around them in 2012 and 2016.

I can't think of any that I agree with on anything?! There is no one that has practical solutions and positive ideas to promote prosperity and national security. Dead guys I can think of are Truman, Moynihan, Kennedy..... okay the only living guy that I liked but he seems to have disappeared is Leon Panetta.

What is a liberal?

If you think Obama is one, then we disagree about the meaning of the term

Liberals typically came from the middle class –the commercial and industrial bourgeoisie, the professionals, and the intellectuals. Their chief opponents were the vested interests of traditional society – the aristocracy, the clergy, and the military – seeking to retain their favored positions. The peasantry was still generally conservative, strongly influenced by the clergy and sometimes by the aristocracy, and not very active in politics. Liberals were sometimes contemptuous of the propertyless masses below, forming alliances with them only so far as necessary.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/educa...th-conservatism-america-was-born-liberal.html

Sign me up.

The three choices are interesting and each contributes significantly to moving society forward as in the end that is what really matters. Smartness is not relevant. Gore through legislative accomplishments and climate awareness, Moore through good propaganda that places regular Americans first, and Obama through progressive policies that move us slowly forward.

But consider too the early liberals were John Locke, Montesquieu, John Stewart Mill, and James Madison. And a few contemporary liberals are, John Rawls, Isaiah Berlin, Bernard Williams, Ronald Dworkin, Jeremy Waldron - my favorites today.

"Liberals demand that the social order should in principle be capable of explaining itself at the tribunal of each person's understanding." Jeremy Waldron

Who is the smartest liberal?

The one that proclaims his political sins, asks for forgiveness, becomes a conservative, gets a "I love Rush" tattoo, and begins to vote a straight Republican ticket for the rest of his life.

Forum List

Back