More Economic Good News: Stocks show biggest rebound since the Great Depression

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
Stocks increase nearly 60% since March low

Stocks post biggest rebound in 2009 since Great Depression - USATODAY.com

NEW YORK — Few analysts forecast this year's remarkable stock market rebound as major indexes were plunging to 12-year lows last March. Now, with most experts predicting the pace of stocks' gains will slow in 2010, there's reason to believe they will be proven correct.
Despite fears early in the year about a potential financial system collapse, stocks managed to have their best year since 2003 on growing signs of recovery in what turned out to be Wall Street's biggest comeback since the Great Depression.

Stocks began the dramatic turnaround in March after Citigroup and other big banks said they were making money again, and then climbed at a fairly steady pace as signs of an economic recovery from the Great Recession became more pronounced.

Once it was clear a collapse wasn't going to happen, the Standard & Poor's 500 index roared back 64.8% from its early March low. For the full year, the index rose 23.5%, or 211.85 points, it's best showing since 2003.

The Dow Jones industrial average rose 1,651.66, or 18.8% for the year. From its March 9 close, the Dow jumped 59.3%. Powered by the recovery in high-tech stocks, the Nasdaq ended 2009 with a gain of 696.12, or 43.9%. Tthe Nasdaq has surged 78.9% from its March low.

America lost $13 Trillion in personal wealth in the Bush Stock Market crash. Most of that has been regained.

Good News for anyone with investments, 401K or retired

America lost $13 Trillion in personal wealth in the Bush Stock Market crash. Most of that has been regained.

The Clinton stock market crash was caused by giving mortgages to unqualified borrowers, who promptly defaulted creating the stock market crash.
Real cause of the subprime mortgage crisis

Add to that the Barney Frank and Obama cash cows Fannie & Freddie who were kept free from GOP attempts at regulation, and you have an even more disastrous financial crisis.

I explained how the dems caused the financial crisis. All Bush did was cut taxes and waste money on entitlements. Obama and the dems are burying the US with borrowing and the national debt.

So don't call it the Bush Stock Market crash, its the Obama fiscal disaster that will kill SS & Medicare.

The Clinton stock market crash was caused by giving mortgages to unqualified borrowers, who promptly defaulted creating the stock market crash.

Add to that the Barney Frank and Obama cash cows Fannie & Freddie who were kept free from GOP attempts at regulation, and you have an even more disastrous financial crisis.

I explained how the dems caused the financial crisis. All Bush did was cut taxes and waste money on entitlements. Obama and the dems are burying the US with borrowing and the national debt.

So don't call it the Bush Stock Market crash, its the Obama fiscal disaster that will kill SS & Medicare.

This crash was not caused by the CRA, and there are so many reasons why this is not the case. The two most glaring are that home prices went higher in other countries - please tell me that the CRA caused a housing bubble in Australia, Ireland, Spain, Canada, etc. - and if you believe in the efficacy of markets, CRA loans would have defaulted at a higher rate and CRA-funded areas would have seen the highest home price appreciation, neither of which happened. You can read more about the role of the CRA or lack thereof in this thread.

I really honestly believe people who think that the financial crisis was caused by the Democrats are clueless. I also believe that people who think the Republicans are the cause are only slightly less clueless.

I would also say that the federal government is a minor reason for this stock market rebound.

Last edited:

This crash was not caused by the CRA, and there are so many reasons why this is not the case. The two most glaring are that home prices went higher in other countries - please tell me that the CRA caused a housing bubble in Australia, Ireland, Spain, Canada, etc. - and if you believe in the efficacy of markets, CRA loans would have defaulted at a higher rate and CRA-funded areas would have seen the highest home price appreciation, neither of which happened. You can read more about the role of the CRA or lack thereof in this thread.

I really honestly believe people who think that the financial crisis was caused by the Democrats are clueless. I also believe that people who think the Republicans are the cause are only slightly less clueless. I would also say that the federal government is a minor reason for this stock market rebound.

The bad mortgages were bundled and sold as CDos and CDSs, then they coined the phrase "toxic assets" referring to the defaulted loans, which the Feds approved TALF and TARP to "buy" the toxic assets. The toxic assets were caused by giving loans to undeserving borrowers.

There is no other reasoning for the financial crisis, other than the dems pushing CRA and bad behavior by Obama (most cash pocketed from Fannie/Freddie) and Barney Frank. Mozillo and Countrywide also bribed the dems.
So I can prove its was the dems, you can't prove it was the GOP.

The bad mortgages were bundled and sold as CDos and CDSs, then they coined the phrase "toxic assets" referring to the defaulted loans, which the Feds approved TALF and TARP to "buy" the toxic assets. The toxic assets were caused by giving loans to undeserving borrowers.

Yes, I know. I saw billion dollar CDOs and synthetic CDOs come across desk as the underlying collateral for potential equity swaps. We passed on them because they were filled with shit. But most subprime loans occurred outside of CRA-designated areas, most had nothing to do with Freddie and Fannie, and most were to buy houses in middle-class, upper middle-class, and speculative areas.

There is no other reasoning for the financial crisis, other than the dems pushing CRA and bad behavior by Obama (most cash pocketed from Fannie/Freddie) and Barney Frank. Mozillo and Countrywide also bribed the dems.

There are many, many reasons for this financial crisis, most of it occurring outside of politics.

Last edited:

Yes, I know. I saw billion dollar CDOs and synthetic CDOs come across desk as the underlying collateral for potential equity swaps. We passed on them because they were filled with shit. But most subprime loans occurred outside of CRA-designated areas, most had nothing to do with Freddie and Fannie, and most were to buy houses in middle-class, upper middle-class, and speculative areas.

There are many, many reasons for this financial crisis, most of it occurring outside of politics.

Absolutely true.

That said, my bi-partisan reasons for the "decline" of the US as opposed to the financial "crash" was the relocating of factories and the outsourcing of jobs overseas. The GOP passed the "American Jobs Creation Act" which was a mis-nomer because all it did was give big tax breaks to move factories overseas. The dems did nothing to protect US jobs. They were all bought-off.

The economy has been shit this entire decade. It still sucks, and I see no signs of recovery. It sucked when Rush and Hannity were worshiping their Lord and Savior George W. Boooosh and claimed all was well (when anyone with any economic sense could tell it wasn't). It sucks now when lefty media claims it's recovering (when anyone with any economic sense can tell it isn't).

Its to bad that the left turns every economic event into the creation of some government program because I can't think of anything that Obama did that caused the stock market to rebound. You assume it was caused by tarp but that was done by George W. Bush so how can it be Obama's fault that that happenned.

I can't think of anything that the government does that makes the economy better but I can think how it makes things more difficult for businesses to operate with taxes and regulations and that seems to be the battlecry of the democratic party so the next time a democrat charges into a battle for economic recovery screaming "taxes and regulations" I realize that they are declaring war on businesses which is a war against recovery.

And if you dive into 60 feet of shit.. and you ascend 5 feet.. you are still surrounded by shit

Most of the business people I talk to say that there businesses are shrinking and not expanding.

Most of the business people I talk to say that business is way down but stabilizing and perhaps growing a little bit.

The keyword is perhaps but I think you added that yourself because any business knows if they are expanding or shrinking. There is not perhaps.

The keyword is perhaps but I think you added that yourself because any business knows if they are expanding or shrinking. There is not perhaps.

Of course there is a perhaps. Perhaps implies that business is expanding but it is unsure whether or not it is sustainable.

Exactly. What happens when the credit card bill comes due and Obama can't pay it? What happens when SS & Medicare become insolvent because they're worried about C+T and UHC instead of SS & Medicare?

ive just seen a lot of competition just vanish. phone disconnected. constable's sticker on their front door.

me and this guy at the chamber were talking about all the business in soaking up former competitor's share.

cant say business is good, but being light on our feet and having little of our operation tied to credit saved my 2009.

lots of hustlers and hobbyinst entrepreneurs hung up the hat in the last quarter alone. i wonder if that's a national phenom.

Stocks increase nearly 60% since March low

Stocks post biggest rebound in 2009 since Great Depression - USATODAY.com

NEW YORK — Few analysts forecast this year's remarkable stock market rebound as major indexes were plunging to 12-year lows last March. Now, with most experts predicting the pace of stocks' gains will slow in 2010, there's reason to believe they will be proven correct.
Despite fears early in the year about a potential financial system collapse, stocks managed to have their best year since 2003 on growing signs of recovery in what turned out to be Wall Street's biggest comeback since the Great Depression.

Stocks began the dramatic turnaround in March after Citigroup and other big banks said they were making money again, and then climbed at a fairly steady pace as signs of an economic recovery from the Great Recession became more pronounced.

Once it was clear a collapse wasn't going to happen, the Standard & Poor's 500 index roared back 64.8% from its early March low. For the full year, the index rose 23.5%, or 211.85 points, it's best showing since 2003.

The Dow Jones industrial average rose 1,651.66, or 18.8% for the year. From its March 9 close, the Dow jumped 59.3%. Powered by the recovery in high-tech stocks, the Nasdaq ended 2009 with a gain of 696.12, or 43.9%. Tthe Nasdaq has surged 78.9% from its March low.

AS USUAL RIGHT WINGER--I am now looking at all the articles you post so I can do this--:lol::lol: Funny how you leave 3/4 of the article you post out--of your main threads--while picking & choosing out of these articles your headlines.--:cuckoo:

So here it is--right out of your article

A LOST DECADE: String of investment bubbles mark dismal 10-year period for stocks

Sustaining the momentum from 2009 into the new year will likely require a big drop in the unemployment rate and strong corporate profit gains, along with stable borrowing costs — a combination few analysts are forecasting.

"The easy money has been made already," said Bill Stone, chief investment strategist for PNC Wealth Management. "You're not going to see another 65% move in the next nine months."

Now considering what you left out in your other post about more job losses was actually "good" news--I will remind you-- out of that article that you posted & left out criticial data--that economists & the federal reserve believe unemployment will remain higher than 9% for the entire 2010 year. Profits are always bottom line on Wall Street. The Europhria of the banks not collapsing will soon be a distant memory. Investors will start looking at the unemployment rate--deficit spending & will be running to treasury bills & other safe interest bearing certificates--which means they will be selling stock to make that move.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back