Who Gives More to Charity? Liberals or Conservatives

Liberals, this is why conservatives don't want to be forced into giving more money away... because they voluntarily give much more to charity than liberals..... and liberals claim to be for the less fortunate...

RealClearPolitics - Articles - Conservatives More Liberal Givers

I would be curious to know what the stats would look like if contributions to the worship industry that didn't go toward helping the less fortunate were removed from the calculations.

-Joe

I would be curious to know what the stats would look like if contributions to the worship industry that didn't go toward helping the less fortunate were removed from the calculations.

-Joe

Do you go to church? Do you give to a church? If so you may be going to the wrong church because some of my church donations go to helping the less fortunate.

Last edited:

-Joe

Do you go to church? Do you give to a church? If so you may be going to the wrong church because some of my church donations go to helping the less fortunate.

That is exactly why I qualified which part of worship industry contributions to remove from the calculations.

-Joe

Gosh, donations that go to organizations that require dogma junkie observations and a faith based prerequisite.. yea.. I think i'll pass on this self righteous bullshit.

From the article:
-- Conservatives also donate more time and give more blood.

-- People who reject the idea that "government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality" give an average of four times more than people who accept that proposition.

This is an odd argument because it contains lots of weird assumptions. People give to churches because they want to be saved. Sorta like the purchase of indulgences. Or little works that kept you in purgatory a shorter time. So really it is not odd they give, death lasts a long time and we definitely want to hedge our bets. But if charity is the issue then why complain of taxes? Assume the taxes you give are used to do some good. You know, like bomb the heathens or build tanks or build bridges to nowhere.

Liberals, this is why conservatives don't want to be forced into giving more money away... because they voluntarily give much more to charity than liberals..... and liberals claim to be for the less fortunate...

Good source and good point, I think it boils down to whose responsibility it is. I think this quote from the article sums it up:

While conservatives tend to regard giving as a personal rather than governmental responsibility, some liberals consider private charity a retrograde phenomenon -- a poor palliative for an inadequate welfare state, and a distraction from achieving adequacy by force, by increasing taxes. Ralph Nader, running for president in 2000, said: "A society that has more justice is a society that needs less charity." Brooks, however, warns: "If support for a policy that does not exist ... substitutes for private charity, the needy are left worse off than before. It is one of the bitterest ironies of liberal politics today that political opinions are apparently taking the place of help for others."

As a liberal I donate my time and some money to causes I support, the thing is I support causes that are more “bringing people from poverty to the middle class” sort. I like saying that if you give a man a fish, he eats for one day, if you teach him to fish, he can eat forever (or something like that).

I may be mistaken, but my perception of Christian giving is that there are always strings attached. In order to receive the free meal one must attend the service type thing. It seems more like recruiting than true disconnected charity. Growing up my mom was a big supporter of adopting a family at Christmas and it always made me very uncomfortable because it seemed like she did it more for the gratitude of the family than the sense of giving.

I am not exactly sure where I am going with this, but I do believe that basic human needs (food, clothing, shelter, medical care) are rights rather than privileges. I think Christians see these as privileges that they provide to those who will come into the order’s fold, and as such the motivation to provide basic support through religious organizations tends to be self serving.

This is an odd argument because it contains lots of weird assumptions. People give to churches because they want to be saved. Sorta like the purchase of indulgences. Or little works that kept you in purgatory a shorter time. So really it is not odd they give, death lasts a long time and we definitely want to hedge our bets. But if charity is the issue then why complain of taxes? Assume the taxes you give are used to do some good. You know, like bomb the heathens or build tanks or build bridges to nowhere.

no shit.. I guess we count tithes in this data, eh? I wonder how much of an impact an Indulgence payment would have made on these results..

i loan money through Kiva and work for a nonprofit. is that considered charity?

Warrenn Buffet and Bill gates who are both liberal I think give more then any conservative would even think of giving. Look up how much the Walton family donates!
And really what does donating to church really matter, how much of that really goes to Charity!
Plus who really gives a crap who gives more, this isn't something to have a pissing contest over!

Luissa27 Wrote:
Warrenn Buffet and Bill gates who are both liberal I think give more then any conservative would even think of giving. Look up how much the Walton family donates!
And really what does donating to church really matter, how much of that really goes to Charity!
Plus who really gives a crap who gives more, this isn't something to have a pissing contest over!

While I agree with your final point - I don't think much good can come of mocking a political party or holding up another over something like this...I might be more prone to believe YOU believed your own point if you hadn't started by adding to the pissing contest by mentioning rich liberals who give lots of money to charities and implying that people who give to their church really don't count.

Not to mention the fact that this article ISN'T ADDRESSING church donations...but rather donations made TO CHARITY!

The bottom line is simple...Conservatives, and more accurately church-goers...give more to CHARITY and spend more of their TIME giving to others.

This shouldn't be a shock or an insult...the Bible instructs its followers to do just that...more devout Christians tend to be conservative...so therefore it isn't a surprise that more conservatives give more to charity.

Its amusing to see how upset people get with threads like this when their side isn't the one being complimented. The Left loves the threads about which political party is more highly educated or which party makes more money...but boy do we get sensitive when a study points out that Democrats aren't as charitable with their money as Republicans.

The Bill and Melinda Gates foundation are wonderful example of giving in this country. Many public libraries and schools in rural and urban areas can thank Bill and Melinda Gates for their kindness when they use computers at the schools and the local library. We give three times a year to the Navy Marine Corps Relief society and have given over the years to deployed soldiers and sailors that are deployed as well. So giving is something that comes from the heart and the measure of what you give does not require that you fill out the political affiliation on the form, all it requires is you give. Time, money, or even a simple letter, or a thought. So to compare one measure of giving to another is like saying my daughters "i love you" is better than your daugters " i love you is to you" that are one in the same.

Luissa27 Wrote:

While I agree with your final point - I don't think much good can come of mocking a political party or holding up another over something like this...I might be more prone to believe YOU believed your own point if you hadn't started by adding to the pissing contest by mentioning rich liberals who give lots of money to charities and implying that people who give to their church really don't count.

Not to mention the fact that this article ISN'T ADDRESSING church donations...but rather donations made TO CHARITY!

The bottom line is simple...Conservatives, and more accurately church-goers...give more to CHARITY and spend more of their TIME giving to others.

This shouldn't be a shock or an insult...the Bible instructs its followers to do just that...more devout Christians tend to be conservative...so therefore it isn't a surprise that more conservatives give more to charity.

Its amusing to see how upset people get with threads like this when their side isn't the one being complimented. The Left loves the threads about which political party is more highly educated or which party makes more money...but boy do we get sensitive when a study points out that Democrats aren't as charitable with their money as Republicans.
Do you have solid proof of what you say! I am sure each side can do a study where it shows they give more and volunteer more!
And this crap about liberals not going to church and not being christian is getting old!

LOL... I'm sure it is... LOL

actually it is. How hard is it to write a check?

That's the problem with you Cons, you think you can throw money at any problem and it'll fix itself. It takes hard work, dedication and time. Something money can't buy.

Which do you think an abused child cherishes more, a hug or a dollar?

think about it. :cuckoo:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back