Jury issues continue to beset Stevens trial

CrimsonWhite

*****istrator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2006
Guntucky
This trial is a fucking circus.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The judge in the federal corruption trial of U.S. Sen. Ted Stevens will hold a hearing Friday morning to determine what to do about a juror who went missing Thursday night.

Juror No. 4 told a U.S. Marshal that she had to leave the state for a family emergency after the jury was dismissed Thursday.

The officer informed the judge, but when court officials tried to contact the juror, they could not reach her.

It was the second jury issue in Stevens' trial since the deliberations began Wednesday. Stevens, 84, is charged with seven felony counts of making false statements on annual Senate financial disclosure forms regarding renovations on his family's chalet in Girdwood, Alaska.

Earlier in the day, U.S. District Judge Emmet Sullivan declined to dismiss juror No. 9, who was accused of "violent outbursts" and other misconduct by the rest of the panel.

In response to the disappearance of juror No. 4, Sullivan held a hearing Thursday night to discuss options in case the missing juror cannot continue her service.

Jury issues continue to beset Stevens trial - CNN.com

Ya cause a mistrial will end it right? They will just refile and start again if that happens. But then you already knew that before you said the above.

Of course, they'll refile. I don't think I said they wouldn't. However, the prosecution is less likely to win if it's a re-trial. It's not impossible, but statistically, I don't believe the conviction rate is as good. Plus, he wouldn't have a conviction before the election.

Ya cause a mistrial will end it right? They will just refile and start again if that happens. But then you already knew that before you said the above.

Umm, if the choices are to be convicted or a mistrial, I'm pretty sure which one Stevens and the Defense would choose....

But my guess is they just happened to get someone crazy on the jury.

Forum List

Back