Who Cares What the Rest of the World Thinks

I don't care what they think... only actions.. and if those actions threaten or harm our country, then wipe those fuckers off the map...

If they are jealous, or think we stink, or think we're arrogant, or think we're nice for helping, or think whatever else is of no concern to me and should not be a concern of any other US citizen (especially politicians)

Yup.
While we import a lot of stuff, those countries export an equal amount of stuff. It doesnt matter what they think of us. If there is profit in trading with us, they will do so. How many countries trade with Cuba?
The "the rest of the world hates us" meme is bullshit. Our job is not to be liked. Our job is to deliver the highest standard of living to our citizens that we possibly can.

Which is exactly why you are going down harder than you can ever imagine.
Some call it Karma. You've continually fucked over the rest of the world so you can live a fluffy, rock star lifestyle.
I refer not to ignorant, brainwashed slaves, such as yourself . I refer to your corporate owned govt that you have tolerated all of these years.
What comes around/goes around.

“Who cares what the rest of the world thinks?”

You should. Consider the following:

Half of the fuel in your car comes from abroad. The chair you are sitting on is probably imported. Almost all of the parts in your computer are imported as well as the clothes on your back and the shoes on your feet. Seven of the ten largest corporations in the world are based outside the US. Foreigners hold over 40 percent of the national debt. 40 million people living in the US are foreign born.

Fuck em...!!! Let's get naked and party!!!!:lol::lol:

While I may care what they think, I care more about why they think whatever it is they think. The fact they there is some petty resentment or jealousy, I can't be concerned with that. And I do think that is what's beind most anti-American sentiment.
People in other industrialized nations are not jealous of the US. Most of those have a better quality of life than we do. You're living in the past.

"It doesnt matter what they think of us. If there is profit in trading with us, they will do so."

I disagree. It makes a big difference. When the US is negotiating trade agreements, information sharing, nuclear proliferation, or a host of other issues, the attitude of that nation towards us is very important. Negotiations, be it between countries, businesses, or individuals are far more likely to have a positive outcome if the other party respects and trusts you.

There was a time when we needed little or nothing from the rest of the world, but that time is long past.

Is there anyone who think the Chinese are a great government dedicated to doing good and charitable works all over the world? How about their treatment of North Korean refugees and Tibetans?
No?
And how many countries refuse to do business with them, or negotiate a treaty differently based on their views of the Chinese?
None, is the correct answer. And yet that doesnt stop anyone from trading and signing treaties when it is in their interest to do so.
Same here. You would have to posit how a better image in the world is an advantage in any economic or political sense to make your case, and I dont think you can.
I think there is something you are missing. You are far more likely to do business with a company in a foreign country if you have a positive image of the government and the people. You may still buy if the price is low enough, but the salesman just has to work harder to get your business. If you are a diplomat trying to negotiate with a foreign power, your job is going to be a lot tougher if they picture your government as being led by an arrogant idiot.

If you don't think image is important ask any salesman.

No.
You are likely to do business in a country that has a functioning legal system so you can get redress if the deal goes south. After that, who cares? And in any case, look at the people lining up to do business with Putin's Russia, even though it is among the most brutal and corrupt regimes in Europe.
As far as being arrogant idiots, I never saw anyone refuse to negotiate with France, Japan, or South Korea, even those regimes have a well deserved reputation for arrogance.

Until recent history the US charged a hefty tariff on imported goods. It's time to start that again.

I don't care what they think... only actions.. and if those actions threaten or harm our country, then wipe those fuckers off the map...

If they are jealous, or think we stink, or think we're arrogant, or think we're nice for helping, or think whatever else is of no concern to me and should not be a concern of any other US citizen (especially politicians)

There would be plenty of people and countries in the world who would be happy if the US was isolationist....

incorrect...
If the U.S. would go isolationist, it would completely destroy the economy of every country in the world... Every single one, including the U.S. In fact, the U.S. would probably be the worst hit, as it would have just cut its connections and could not have any support in its self-created free-fall...
The world's economic connections are to tight to sever, we must learn to make them permanent, and even fuse them. E.U. countries are a huge step ahead of other countries in that they have already created a permanent economic connective system that allows them to thrive. Future adaptation our economy and economic attitude has to center around the thought that the U.S. economy is directly connected to the world economy and that all policies have to keep that in mind.

Not me. We can make everything you just cited ourselves.
Why don't we?

Because we have a government that has artificially increased the costs of producing these things in the United States and we have the capacity of getting them from other areas of the world at a cheaper price.

However, I think it's naive to think this will go on indefinitely. So we better start producing for ourselves or we may be starving soon.

Is there anyone who think the Chinese are a great government dedicated to doing good and charitable works all over the world? How about their treatment of North Korean refugees and Tibetans?
No?
And how many countries refuse to do business with them, or negotiate a treaty differently based on their views of the Chinese?
None, is the correct answer. And yet that doesnt stop anyone from trading and signing treaties when it is in their interest to do so.
Same here. You would have to posit how a better image in the world is an advantage in any economic or political sense to make your case, and I dont think you can.
I think there is something you are missing. You are far more likely to do business with a company in a foreign country if you have a positive image of the government and the people. You may still buy if the price is low enough, but the salesman just has to work harder to get your business. If you are a diplomat trying to negotiate with a foreign power, your job is going to be a lot tougher if they picture your government as being led by an arrogant idiot.

No.
You are likely to do business in a country that has a functioning legal system so you can get redress if the deal goes south. After that, who cares? And in any case, look at the people lining up to do business with Putin's Russia, even though it is among the most brutal and corrupt regimes in Europe.
As far as being arrogant idiots, I never saw anyone refuse to negotiate with France, Japan, or South Korea, even those regimes have a well deserved reputation for arrogance.
Of course you can do business with any country regardless of what they think of you. It's just a lot harder to be business with people that hate your guts.

So then by your line of thinking, Iran, who the US threatens on a near-constant basis and Cuba who we have embargoed and sanctioned and North Korea who we've threatened regularly for years and assured are starved and technologically backward, all have the right to wipe the U.S. off the map?

All it takes is an action that threatens a country and that country is justified in wiping another nation off the map apparently.

There's a famous Iranian fella I think you'd get along with.

No.
Of course you can do business with any country regardless of what they think of you. It's just a lot harder to be business with people that hate your guts.

Not really. It's all about the money. And you are dealing with an individual, not a country as a whole. I jave personally met many Arabs I like, even Palestinians.
I'd say you've failed to make your case here.

No.

Not really. It's all about the money. And you are dealing with an individual, not a country as a whole. I jave personally met many Arabs I like, even Palestinians.

mighty white of you. :lol:

There would be plenty of people and countries in the world who would be happy if the US was isolationist....

yes, perhaps. but it would be pretty silly for it to do so.

mighty white of you. :lol:

Can I quote you on that?

Half of the fuel in your car comes from abroad. The chair you are sitting on is probably imported. Almost all of the parts in your computer are imported as well as the clothes on your back and the shoes on your feet. Seven of the ten largest corporations in the world are based outside the US. Foreigners hold over 40 percent of the national debt. 40 million people living in the US are foreign born.

The oil we import from abroad could be extracted from our own soil. The other goods we import are not manufactured here because the cost to do so is too high. This is mainly due to high taxes and growing regulations. Seven of the ten largest corporations are not based in the United States because the cost to do business here is too expensive. The business tax rate in this country is 35% and ranks second highest in the world. If the federal government would loosen regulations, lower taxes and keep its hand out of the free market, then we would not be near as dependant on other countries as we have become. We would be a prosperous and independent nation, as we were intended to be when this country was founded.

The oil we import from abroad could be extracted from our own soil. The other goods we import are not manufactured here because the cost to do so is too high. This is mainly due to high taxes and growing regulations. Seven of the ten largest corporations are not based in the United States because the cost to do business here is too expensive. The business tax rate in this country is 35% and ranks second highest in the world. If the federal government would loosen regulations, lower taxes and keep its hand out of the free market, then we would not be near as dependant on other countries as we have become. We would be a prosperous and independent nation, as we were intended to be when this country was founded.
That's what has been happening, and it hasn't worked. Lowering taxes just leaves our coffers empty. 35%? Exxon doesn't pay any taxes at all.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back