Who Cares What the Rest of the World Thinks

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
“Who cares what the rest of the world thinks?”

You should. Consider the following:

Half of the fuel in your car comes from abroad. The chair you are sitting on is probably imported. Almost all of the parts in your computer are imported as well as the clothes on your back and the shoes on your feet. Seven of the ten largest corporations in the world are based outside the US. Foreigners hold over 40 percent of the national debt. 40 million people living in the US are foreign born.

Not me. We can make everything you just cited ourselves.

Last edited:
Not me. We can make everything you just cited ourselves.
Only at a higher cost. Walmart and the like will still buy from China because it's cheaper. Americans don't don't buy American made, they shop for the best price.

I don't care what they think... only actions.. and if those actions threaten or harm our country, then wipe those fuckers off the map...

If they are jealous, or think we stink, or think we're arrogant, or think we're nice for helping, or think whatever else is of no concern to me and should not be a concern of any other US citizen (especially politicians)

I don't care what they think... only actions.. and if those actions threaten or harm our country, then wipe those fuckers off the map...

If they are jealous, or think we stink, or think we're arrogant, or think we're nice for helping, or think whatever else is of no concern to me and should not be a concern of any other US citizen (especially politicians)
That attitude would fly 50 years ago but not today. Like it or not, we are very dependent on the rest of world.

There would be plenty of people and countries in the world who would be happy if the US was isolationist....

Last edited:

Yup.
While we import a lot of stuff, those countries export an equal amount of stuff. It doesnt matter what they think of us. If there is profit in trading with us, they will do so. How many countries trade with Cuba?
The "the rest of the world hates us" meme is bullshit. Our job is not to be liked. Our job is to deliver the highest standard of living to our citizens that we possibly can.

Remember the good old days when everybody wanted to buy stuff that was made in the USA because it was the best product? Sad to say that those days are gone.... Deep regrets.

Yup.
While we import a lot of stuff, those countries export an equal amount of stuff. It doesnt matter what they think of us. If there is profit in trading with us, they will do so. How many countries trade with Cuba?
The "the rest of the world hates us" meme is bullshit. Our job is not to be liked. Our job is to deliver the highest standard of living to our citizens that we possibly can.
"It doesnt matter what they think of us. If there is profit in trading with us, they will do so."

I disagree. It makes a big difference. When the US is negotiating trade agreements, information sharing, nuclear proliferation, or a host of other issues, the attitude of that nation towards us is very important. Negotiations, be it between countries, businesses, or individuals are far more likely to have a positive outcome if the other party respects and trusts you.

There was a time when we needed little or nothing from the rest of the world, but that time is long past.

Yup.
"It doesnt matter what they think of us. If there is profit in trading with us, they will do so."

I disagree. It makes a big difference. When the US is negotiating trade agreements, information sharing, nuclear proliferation, or a host of other issues, the attitude of that nation towards us is very important. Negotiations, be it between countries, businesses, or individuals are far more likely to have a positive outcome if the other party respects and trusts you.

There was a time when we needed little or nothing from the rest of the world, but that time is long past.

The days of George Bush "My way or the highway" diplomacy are gone. The whole world will benefit. The US needs cooperation from other countries and bullying is not going to get it done

Yup.

Is there anyone who think the Chinese are a great government dedicated to doing good and charitable works all over the world? How about their treatment of North Korean refugees and Tibetans?
No?
And how many countries refuse to do business with them, or negotiate a treaty differently based on their views of the Chinese?
None, is the correct answer. And yet that doesnt stop anyone from trading and signing treaties when it is in their interest to do so.
Same here. You would have to posit how a better image in the world is an advantage in any economic or political sense to make your case, and I dont think you can.

While I may care what they think, I care more about why they think whatever it is they think. The fact they there is some petty resentment or jealousy, I can't be concerned with that. And I do think that is what's beind most anti-American sentiment.

“Who cares what the rest of the world thinks?”

You should. Consider the following:

Half of the fuel in your car comes from abroad. The chair you are sitting on is probably imported. Almost all of the parts in your computer are imported as well as the clothes on your back and the shoes on your feet. Seven of the ten largest corporations in the world are based outside the US. Foreigners hold over 40 percent of the national debt. 40 million people living in the US are foreign born.
No, you shouldn't.

As long as you can pay you get what you want.

What they think of you doesn't mean dick.

Indeed. They want our money or they wouldn't be interested in selling us products.

Yup.

Is there anyone who think the Chinese are a great government dedicated to doing good and charitable works all over the world? How about their treatment of North Korean refugees and Tibetans?
No?
And how many countries refuse to do business with them, or negotiate a treaty differently based on their views of the Chinese?
None, is the correct answer. And yet that doesnt stop anyone from trading and signing treaties when it is in their interest to do so.
Same here. You would have to posit how a better image in the world is an advantage in any economic or political sense to make your case, and I dont think you can.
I think there is something you are missing. You are far more likely to do business with a company in a foreign country if you have a positive image of the government and the people. You may still buy if the price is low enough, but the salesman just has to work harder to get your business. If you are a diplomat trying to negotiate with a foreign power, your job is going to be a lot tougher if they picture your government as being led by an arrogant idiot.

If you don't think image is important ask any salesman.

New Topics

Forum List

Back