Who are these Pirates?

Truthmatters

Diamond Member
May 10, 2007
Johann Hari: You are being lied to about pirates - Johann Hari, Commentators - The Independent

The words of one pirate from that lost age, a young British man called William Scott, should echo into this new age of piracy. Just before he was hanged in Charleston, South Carolina, he said: "What I did was to keep me from perishing. I was forced to go a-pirateing to live." In 1991, the government of Somalia collapsed. Its nine million people have been teetering on starvation ever since – and the ugliest forces in the Western world have seen this as a great opportunity to steal the country's food supply and dump our nuclear waste in their seas.

Yes: nuclear waste. As soon as the government was gone, mysterious European ships started appearing off the coast of Somalia, dumping vast barrels into the ocean. The coastal population began to sicken. At first they suffered strange rashes, nausea and malformed babies. Then, after the 2005 tsunami, hundreds of the dumped and leaking barrels washed up on shore. People began to suffer from radiation sickness, and more than 300 died.

Moralizing and apologizing for Pirates is all this piece does.

It is simple IF they did not seize boats and demand MILLIONS in ransom then no Navy would be working to stop them. If all they wanted to do was stop illegal dumping and drive off fishing trawlers , again NO NAVY would be working to stop them.

That is NOT why our Navy and the rest are there. We are there because these PIRATES seize ships that are NOT dumping or fishing and DEMAND millions in payment to release them.

In fact if they DID seize a ship either loaded with illegal waste or that had just dumped it and called in the World Navies they would have PROOF of who is doing it and could get those Europeans doing it caught and punished, BUT again they do NOT do that. They seize cargo for the sole purpose of collecting ransom to release the crew and ship.

At the same time, other European ships have been looting Somalia's seas of their greatest resource: seafood. We have destroyed our own fish stocks by overexploitation – and now we have moved on to theirs. More than $300m-worth of tuna, shrimp, and lobster are being stolen every year by illegal trawlers. The local fishermen are now starving. Mohammed Hussein, a fisherman in the town of Marka 100km south of Mogadishu, told Reuters: "If nothing is done, there soon won't be much fish left in our coastal waters."

This is the context in which the "pirates" have emerged. Somalian fishermen took speedboats to try to dissuade the dumpers and trawlers, or at least levy a "tax" on them. They call themselves the Volunteer Coastguard of Somalia – and ordinary Somalis agree. The independent Somalian news site WardheerNews found 70 per cent "strongly supported the piracy as a form of national defence".

Johann Hari: You are being lied to about pirates - Johann Hari, Commentators - The Independent

seems there are two sides to ever story...

At the same time, other European ships have been looting Somalia's seas of their greatest resource: seafood. We have destroyed our own fish stocks by overexploitation – and now we have moved on to theirs. More than $300m-worth of tuna, shrimp, and lobster are being stolen every year by illegal trawlers. The local fishermen are now starving. Mohammed Hussein, a fisherman in the town of Marka 100km south of Mogadishu, told Reuters: "If nothing is done, there soon won't be much fish left in our coastal waters."

This is the context in which the "pirates" have emerged. Somalian fishermen took speedboats to try to dissuade the dumpers and trawlers, or at least levy a "tax" on them. They call themselves the Volunteer Coastguard of Somalia – and ordinary Somalis agree. The independent Somalian news site WardheerNews found 70 per cent "strongly supported the piracy as a form of national defence".

I think we're probably going to hear/read a lot more about Somalia in the days to come. How many posting here knew anything about that country other than what we saw in the movie "Black Hawk Down"?? Not me.

Here is the key that the story is bogus, you think people would expose themselves to radiation for days on a ship. Doesnt radiation cause cancer, is it not really, really, dangerous. The sailors who dumped must of got burns from the radiation, the must care that now that they are exposed they will die a slow death, boy the greenee meanees must be interviewing every man on board, you cannot hide a ship load of men all getting cancer at once, can you.

Of course the author knows nothing of nuclear waste, I do, I have touched it. Yes thats right I have touched. I loaded the stuff day after day into 4x4x8 foot boxes to be shipped to Hanford Washington for burial. Each box could weigh no more than 2500 lbs and because of the expense I had to make sure every space was used up. I did this for a month. Everything that is low level waste, and non-compactable is buried this way. Stuff that can be smashed like paper and rags got compacted in 55 gallon drums. Low level radioactive waste gives off Gamma radiation, the same as a x-ray. The particles only have the energy to travel 16', no more.

High level waste is a different story, that is spent fuel rods. That will kill you, any on the ship would of killed the entire crew as soon as they stepped on board.

So if its the waste that is low level its impossible that the even got sick.

If it is high level than it comes from a source, either fuel from or a reactor or an Isotope used in x-rays or the medical field. Isotopes or sources of this type are heavier than led, they would sink to the bottom of the ocean and stay there forever. Water is a natural neutron absorber, water i s h2o, h is hydrogen, hydrogen absorbs and blocks neutrons from traveling, that is why we keep our spent nuclear fuel in pools of water.

There is a website that goes by the name of truthmatters, this is a good example of the stuff lies they spread across the internet, obviously the user truthmatters likes the site and is spreading the false information here as well.

There, I educated you, thank me!

• Banned
When you starve a people and distroy their ability to feed themselves along wiht poisening them some of them will get pretty damned mad.

I dont condone their actions but I also dont condone dumping nuke waste into ANY Ocean.

Ya cause after the Europeans polluted the Ocean there with radioactives and poison they then moved in to fish up all the 3 headed fish.

a tsunami washed it ashore.

Its there for all to see.

Can not be both, The Europeans can not both be polluting the waters AND over fishing the same waters. If they were we would see health problems related to the poisoned sea food in Europe or what ever country is doing all this fishing.

And once again dumb ass, if the Somalis stuck to driving off the polluters and the trawlers NO NAVY would be there looking to prevent them from seizing cargo and ships for MILLIONS in ransom.

When you starve a people and distroy their ability to feed themselves along wiht poisening them some of them will get pretty damned mad.

I dont condone their actions but I also dont condone dumping nuke waste into ANY Ocean.

well, at least it isn't only terrorists you make excuses for.

but tell us again what a peaceful person you are.

(damn, i think i just channeled rgs..... i need to go wash my brain).

Where have I made excuses for terrorists?

And NO ONE would know they are being poisened

The people over fishing the region would know if it were true. Or rather their customers.

Did some waste get dumped? Sure it did. That is what happens when you can not protect your coast. BUT again dumb ass, it can not both be heavily poisoned and OVER FISHED by foreigners. Someone outside Somali would have a health crisis by now.

Where have I made excuses for terrorists?

In every post dealing with Arab terrorism.

Here is the key that the story is bogus, you think people would expose themselves to radiation for days on a ship. Doesnt radiation cause cancer, is it not really, really, dangerous. The sailors who dumped must of got burns from the radiation, the must care that now that they are exposed they will die a slow death, boy the greenee meanees must be interviewing every man on board, you cannot hide a ship load of men all getting cancer at once, can you.

Of course the author knows nothing of nuclear waste, I do, I have touched it. Yes thats right I have touched. I loaded the stuff day after day into 4x4x8 foot boxes to be shipped to Hanford Washington for burial. Each box could weigh no more than 2500 lbs and because of the expense I had to make sure every space was used up. I did this for a month. Everything that is low level waste, and non-compactable is buried this way. Stuff that can be smashed like paper and rags got compacted in 55 gallon drums. Low level radioactive waste gives off Gamma radiation, the same as a x-ray. The particles only have the energy to travel 16', no more.

High level waste is a different story, that is spent fuel rods. That will kill you, any on the ship would of killed the entire crew as soon as they stepped on board.

So if its the waste that is low level its impossible that the even got sick.

If it is high level than it comes from a source, either fuel from or a reactor or an Isotope used in x-rays or the medical field. Isotopes or sources of this type are heavier than led, they would sink to the bottom of the ocean and stay there forever. Water is a natural neutron absorber, water i s h2o, h is hydrogen, hydrogen absorbs and blocks neutrons from traveling, that is why we keep our spent nuclear fuel in pools of water.

There is a website that goes by the name of truthmatters, this is a good example of the stuff lies they spread across the internet, obviously the user truthmatters likes the site and is spreading the false information here as well.

There, I educated you, thank me!

Thank you!! I too am skeptical about the nuclear waste allegation. I'm not, however, skeptical about the fact that Somalia is a piss-poor country with no agriculture or industry and thus an awful place to try to eke out a living. That's not sympathizing with terrorists, but I don't think such people are not educated enough to know there are better ways to get the world's attention that their children are hungry. To me, not paying attention to abysmally poor countries which by their very nature creates terrorism as a method of survival, is a huge mistake. They become vulnerable to whatever militant cult mentality will offer them money and food.

its amazing how truthmatters always sees the US as the wrongdoer and the other party the victim....i'm good lord, even with pirates they are victims and it is we who are wrong.

amazing

Forum List

Back