Who are some of your favorite piano or keyboard players, in any genre, all-time?

I think the piano skill is very limited anyway. This is a very simple instrument, there are no subtleties of playing technique.
You just hit the keys, louder, quieter, faster or slower, that's all you can do with the piano.

If we speak about electronic music, I love dream stuff, but it's not about performance, it's the composer's job, not the performer's. And the piano has nothing to do with it, the synthesizer replaces any instrument.

I like that

It's a synthesizer, something like a computer. Although I didn't understand what you found in these squeals that he makes, it looks like a pig squeal
It's a solo in front of 30,000 people that is several minutes long that you have to listen to and take everything into context instead of listening to the first 20 seconds and assuming that is all there is.

But you already knew that .....that's what I like about you--- your attention to details.

It's a solo in front of 30,000 people that is several minutes long that you have to listen to and take everything into context instead of listening to the first 20 seconds and assuming that is all there is.

But you already knew that .....that's what I like about you--- your attention to details.
What are you trying to tell me? In any case, the piano does not give much maneuver to the performer, it is a blunt instrument.

I could park under a bridge and record sledgehammer sounds banging against the girders.......then stop at another bridge and record the sound of rocks splashing into the water and top it off with flute music and chimes with whales in the background if I wanted to.

There are no rules in music.

A big thanks goes out to fellow poster Shawnee_b for giving me the idea for this thread. This would include ANY piano players, keyboard players, organ players, or even synthesizer players over the years. My favorites include - 1) Elton John, he's still my favorite all-time. Just a fantastic musician on keyboards. His work on "Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding", the first track on his great double album, single CD Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is just jaw-dropping. 2) Billy Joel, not nicknamed The Piano Man for nothing, this guy has always been a great pianist and keyboardist. His early signature song, "The Piano Man" is ample proof of his talent. 3) Keith Emerson, the wonderful keyboardist for Emerson, Lake and Palmer, he was one of the earliest musicians to incorporate classical music into a rock music setting. He's my favorite of the "progressive rock" keyboardists. His style and pizazz were second to none among rock/classical players. 4) Paul McCartney, yep, THAT Paul McCartney, I liked pretty much all of his piano and keyboard work he did with the Beatles. The song, "Lady Madonna" immediately comes to mind. And I really like some of the keyboard work he's done on his solo albums. "Maybe I'm Amazed" is just fantastic, the studio AND the live versions. 5) Brian Eno, my all-time favorite piano, synthesizer and "ambient" keyboardist/player. His slow, beautiful ambient music is some of THE best and most relaxing ambient or "new age" music you'll ever hear. Highly recommended. Here are some of my favorites, who are some of yours?
The Classics' Fortune Cookie

Yuja Wang. Her fingers have magical powers. I still can't believe it's humanly possible to play the way she plays.

The following are my favorites.

Gregg "Hobie" Hubbard of Sawyer Brown
Dan Truman of Diamond Rio
Dave Robbins of Black Hawk

God bless you and them and their bandmates always!!!

Holly

Rock guys I would say Rick Wakeman, Keith Emerson, Nicky Hopkins and Elton John. Nobody in music has Elton's touch and feel. Emerson was probably technically the best.

A big thanks goes out to fellow poster Shawnee_b for giving me the idea for this thread. This would include ANY piano players, keyboard players, organ players, or even synthesizer players over the years. My favorites include - 1) Elton John, he's still my favorite all-time. Just a fantastic musician on keyboards. His work on "Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding", the first track on his great double album, single CD Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is just jaw-dropping. 2) Billy Joel, not nicknamed The Piano Man for nothing, this guy has always been a great pianist and keyboardist. His early signature song, "The Piano Man" is ample proof of his talent. 3) Keith Emerson, the wonderful keyboardist for Emerson, Lake and Palmer, he was one of the earliest musicians to incorporate classical music into a rock music setting. He's my favorite of the "progressive rock" keyboardists. His style and pizazz were second to none among rock/classical players. 4) Paul McCartney, yep, THAT Paul McCartney, I liked pretty much all of his piano and keyboard work he did with the Beatles. The song, "Lady Madonna" immediately comes to mind. And I really like some of the keyboard work he's done on his solo albums. "Maybe I'm Amazed" is just fantastic, the studio AND the live versions. 5) Brian Eno, my all-time favorite piano, synthesizer and "ambient" keyboardist/player. His slow, beautiful ambient music is some of THE best and most relaxing ambient or "new age" music you'll ever hear. Highly recommended. Here are some of my favorites, who are some of yours?
Elton should have his own category [or just name an award for keyboardists after him]
Seth Justman is my all-time favorite...some stevie wonder and billy preston would do me right though

More old school....Albert Ammons & Pete Johnson

Boogie Woogie!!!! At its best!! Lena Horne sings....

Forum List

Back