Who are some of your favorite Major League Baseball third basemen all-time?

He made his bones at 1st base but Pete Rose used to be a 3rd Baseman. I always liked his grit and determination. They called him Charlie Hustler or something like that. Also, Bill Madlock was one of my favorites just because of the way he played...

IIRC Rose started at 2B originally, played about everywhere except the battery. He only went to 1B late in his career.

"Charlie Hustler" :rofl:
That guy played all over the place. I think he should've attempted to play all nine positions in the same game. I believe he could've easily done it. I'm pretty sure only two players have done this in MLB history. I'll look it up.

I know one of them already.

Cookie Rojas. Number 16.
My Father worked a part time job with a local Italian Bread bakery and was delivering rolls and met Rojas. Rojas gave him three tickets for a game for some bread. We sat behind the plate in the upper deck at Connie Mack Stadium. Caught a foul ball hit by Bob Uecker. And then he hit one of his rare home runs. Forgot who the Phils played. Of course used the ball until the cover was coming off and put electrical tape on it and used it until it was no more.
Damn your old. :lmao: Which is good because back then the game was not fucked up as it is now so you had more time to enjoy it than many others did

Chico Escuela played a mean Third Base.
Sure he made his share of errors and couldn’t hit a lick. But the game was very, very good to him.

1589111022452.png

He made his bones at 1st base but Pete Rose used to be a 3rd Baseman. I always liked his grit and determination. They called him Charlie Hustler or something like that. Also, Bill Madlock was one of my favorites just because of the way he played...

IIRC Rose started at 2B originally, played about everywhere except the battery. He only went to 1B late in his career.

That guy played all over the place. I think he should've attempted to play all nine positions in the same game. I believe he could've easily done it. I'm pretty sure only two players have done this in MLB history. I'll look it up.

Cookie Rojas. Number 16.
My Father worked a part time job with a local Italian Bread bakery and was delivering rolls and met Rojas. Rojas gave him three tickets for a game for some bread. We sat behind the plate in the upper deck at Connie Mack Stadium. Caught a foul ball hit by Bob Uecker. And then he hit one of his rare home runs. Forgot who the Phils played. Of course used the ball until the cover was coming off and put electrical tape on it and used it until it was no more.
Damn your old. :lmao: Which is good because back then the game was not fucked up as it is now so you had more time to enjoy it than many others did

I guess Pogo is from Philly as am I. I remember Richie (later Dick) Allen hitting home runs out of Connie Mack stadium onto the rooftops of homes in North Philly. I remember Cookie Rojas too.

Cookie Rojas. Number 16.

I guess Pogo is from Philly as am I. I remember Richie (later Dick) Allen hitting home runs out of Connie Mack stadium onto the rooftops of homes in North Philly. I remember Cookie Rojas too.
As a kid, I hated Cookie Rojas.

I was an avid Baseball Card collector and would enthusiastically open each pack of cards.

Unfortunately ....No Willie Mays, Mickey Mantles, Sandy Koufax, Don Drysdale. I always seemed to get a geeky looking guy in glasses. Cookie Rojas.

I think I had six Cookie Rojas cards. Nobody would trade me for him.

1589116225945.jpeg

Cookie Rojas. Number 16.

Went to my first game which was a double header in 1965 against the Giants. McCovey, Mays, Marichal and Jim Ray Hart. Allen struck out to end the first game with bases loaded and hit a grand slam in the first inning of the second game between the right center field light tower and center field which was 447 feet away. It is a shame the incident he had caused him to be booed a lot. I believed he could have had a much greater career.

Cookie Rojas. Number 16.

Went to my first game which was a double header in 1965 against the Giants. McCovey, Mays, Marichal and Jim Ray Hart. Allen struck out to end the first game with bases loaded and hit a grand slam in the first inning of the second game between the right center field light tower and center field which was 447 feet away. It is a shame the incident he had caused him to be booed a lot. I believed he could have had a much greater career.
Were you a little runt at the time, a teenager,or in your 20.s

Cookie Rojas. Number 16.

About 8 to 9 years old for the 1965 season. First year of real interest. in 1964 my father was watching Jim Bunning's perfect game against the Mets on Father's Day. He told me what was happening. I watched a half inning late in the game thinking nothing of it and ran outside to play. The Phils that year pulled the master choke of chokes. 6 1/2 games ahead with 12 to play. Lost 10 in a row before winning the final 2. Third place in a 10 team league with the Cardinals and Reds ahead of them. Cardinals played Yankees in Series.

Cookie Rojas. Number 16.

About 8 to 9 years old for the 1965 season. First year of real interest. in 1964 my father was watching Jim Bunning's perfect game against the Mets on Father's Day. He told me what was happening. I watched a half inning late in the game thinking nothing of it and ran outside to play. The Phils that year pulled the master choke of chokes. 6 1/2 games ahead with 12 to play. Lost 10 in a row before winning the final 2. Third place in a 10 team league with the Cardinals and Reds ahead of them. Cardinals played Yankees in Series.

You're a few years older than me, I was born in '59, but I remember my father and uncles talking about the 1964 meltdown and Gene Mauch. It was a life changing event for them. LOL! I had to suffer through decades of bad Phillies teams until 1980. They did have a few great players though.

Cookie Rojas. Number 16.

You're a few years older than me, I was born in '59, but I remember my father and uncles talking about the 1964 meltdown and Gene Mauch. It was a life changing event for them. LOL! I had to suffer through decades of bad Phillies teams until 1980. They did have a few great players though.
I was so thrilled that the Phillies were the team that made it to the World Series that year.i live in a suburb outside of Kansas City so I am a royals fan and when they made it to the World Series,it was a major thrill for me that they were the royals opponent because while George Brett was always my favorite player growing up,my second was Pete rose so I always wanted to see them play against each other and I finallly got my wish when they played each other in that world series. :thup: I had my heart broken in the 1976 playoffs against the Yankees when they beat the royals in the fifth and final game that year.i so badly was hoping to see Brett square off against rose against the reds. The big red machine was always my favorite team in the national league so when that did not happen,I at least got was second best for me,seeing the Phillies get there so I could see Brett play against rose:thup::yes_text12: as I said over on the favorite managers thread,the royals would always lose to the Yankees year after year when they got to the playoffs and they had that idiot the white rat whitey herzog to thank for that.:adoreheart: Herzog would always blow it for them in late innings. He cost them the chance to beat them in 76 and in 77. Their pitcher in both of those final fifth games of that series Paul splittorf,he would be mowing down the Yankees hitters baffling them and of course herzog would take him out of the game and bring in a reliever,they did not have a bullpen so that was stupid of him especially since he was not in trouble. Billy martin even benched Reggie jackson when they got him in 77 for the final game cause he could not hit splittorf:biggrin: when the asshole herzog took Paul out,Reggie of course came in and got a huge hit Against their reliever and theyof course lost the game against them same as they did in 76. After herzog blew the 76 playoffs for them pulling splittorf,the royals owner wanted to get rid of him but could not since the royals kept winning the division.he told whitey “You just cost us a chance to go to the World Series,we may never have the chance to make it to the world series again” So when the royals lost to the Yankees, I did at least fill a little bit better after the World Series though because that was bitter sweet for me watching Pete rose,my other favorite ball player,him and the reds beat the Yankees in sweeping them no less:biggrin::yes_text12::clap::clap::clap:

Made this post here to make sure you see it and others hopefully since that one was so long,don’t want to have any of these facts overlooked on the royals and that idiot whitey herzog.herzog was the most overrated clown manager ever to coach the game,he wasn’t a good manager,in both cases with the royals and cardinals he just inherited good talented teams that were on the rise. In fact,same as he did with the royals in their playoffs against the Yankees,he also made costly decisions in the final 7th game Against both the twins and the royals costing the cardinals World Series championships those two years:biggrin::lmao:the proof is in the pudding herzog was an overrated clown manager. I always complained back then when theroyals lost to the Yankees saying all the time,man if the royals would just get rid of whitey herzog,they would beat the Yankees in the playoffs. I was a prophet:biggrin: when the royals finished in second place in 79,the royals owner finally had a good excuse to get of him,:thup: he got rid of herzog and the next year 1980,the royals finally beat the Yankees in the playoffs,3 straight no,less:yes_text12::banana: that was all they had to do all along as I said,just get rid of herzog and all their problems would be solved:lmao::abgg2q.jpg::banana: Not taking away anything from your Phillies or anything in the least but the royals did not have the drive or passion to win the World Series that year.they were emotionally spent beating the Yankees.they were just happy to be there.beating the Yankees was their World Series. :biggrin: George Brett said so is how I know. In 85,just getting there was not satisfying to them as it was that year with the Phillies.

There can be no doubt the white rat was an idiot and he cost the cardinals the World Series against both the royals and twins.in the 6th game against the royals,the royals had to come back and win down one nothing in the 9th inning, Dane iorg who howser inserted after herzog brought in worrel to relieve,knocked in the winning run.iorg said he was surprised that herzog left worrel in because there was another pitcher in the bullpen he had trouble hitting against when he was in the national league that same year,he expected herzog to counter with him,when he did not,iorg was pleasantly surprised and very much relieved because he had always had success against worrel while in the. National league the prior years before joining the royals.:biggrin: Herzog could never take responsibility either,he always blamed everybody else for his failures.when the royals blew out the cardinals knocking their starter john tutor early from the game in game seven,herzog said afterwards that the umpire blew it for them making bad calls. Tutor contradicted herzog,he said that was not true,that he called a good game,he just didnot have his stuff that night.:biggrin:. against the twins in the seventh game,the cardinals had the lead most of the game,but herzog blew it for them leaving in the starting pitcher despite the fact that he gave up a lot of runs earlier in the earlier inning and left him in there even after starting off the next inning walking the first two batters letting him walk three straight guys,I could not believe what an idiot he was and how he was blowing that game for them:lmao::abgg2q.jpg:

Finally,I was talking about how herzog blamed everybody else for his failures.he was mr negative all the time.Contrary to popular belief,it was not the blown call by denkinger that cost the cardinals the sixth game of the World Series.the cardinal players lost their composure after that call and went into panic mode losing their focus but more importantly,herzogs decisions on pitchers is what cost them the game as I proved. He was also a major factor in them losing the 7th and final game of that World Series.he was so negative,that after they lost the sixth game,he told the press that night and the next day,we’ve lost this World Series,this World Series is over.he is so suppose to be the leader of the team,when the leader of the army does not have any confidence in winning,how does he expect the players that follow his lead to have confidence.? :abgg2q.jpg::lmao::auiqs.jpg:He did not at all demonstrate the kind of leadership that Pete rose did after they lost game six to the Red Sox.rose was the complete opposite of herzog,he demonstrated the kind of leadership you would expect from a leader,he refused to let his players get down andtold them that whole night,it was just onegame,that theywould bounce back the next day and they could take them.Had rose acted like herzog,does anyone seriously think the reds would have still won that World Series against the Red Sox.?:abgg2q.jpg::auiqs.jpg::lmao:

Ken Boyer of St. Louis. Edgar Martinez of Seattle, who is thought of now as a DH but who only got moved
from 3rd base late in his career due to injuries.
Martinez gets a bum rap for being a designated hitter for most of his career, because he should really be celebrated for his accomplishments with the bat. He batted .312/.418/.515 in a career of 2,055 games. Only Jimmie Foxx, Lou Gehrig, Rogers Hornsby, Babe Ruth and Ted Williams had better numbers than Martinez in all three triple-slash categories while appearing in at least as many games in their careers, and all of them are in the Hall of Fame. -- Tristan Cockcroft, ESPN.com senior writer

Beat that, Chipper Jones.

Alas my baseball card collection was also decimated by the dreaded Mom cleaning out my old closet. I have around 100 left mostly from the late 60s but some from the 50s.

You guys have this covered. I don't think I saw Ron Santo mentioned he had some great years with the Cubs. Of the current players I would say Nolan Arenado is close to being in the club of all time greats at 3rd.
Ron Santo was definitely one of the greats.

Forum List

Back