Who are some of your favorite Major League Baseball third basemen all-time?

Bluz, you have at least 7 more threads to go with favorite baseball players (by position). More if you go into managers, and DHs and such.
Thanks. I'll probably ask about second and first basemen, but most likely not outfielders. There were/are far too many of them, and three separate positions, of course, IN the outfield. DH is definitely a possibility, thanks for bringing that "position" up.

DH is not baseball so no, it's not. :nono:

As far as outfielders (which is all the way to the wall) I think far too much hairsplitting goes on between "right", "left"and "center". Outfield is outfield, just make it generic. It's a position that demands running, fielding and throwing, so it's absolutely worthy and there were and are absolutely those who can own the position and those who can't, plus there's a bottomless well of outstanding plays made from, or in, the outfield.

I submit that if you're going to include the nothing-position of first basemen, you can't exclude the outfield.
First baseman...a nothing position! OMG!

Bluz, you have at least 7 more threads to go with favorite baseball players (by position). More if you go into managers, and DHs and such.
Thanks. I'll probably ask about second and first basemen, but most likely not outfielders. There were/are far too many of them, and three separate positions, of course, IN the outfield. DH is definitely a possibility, thanks for bringing that "position" up.

As far as outfielders (which is all the way to the wall) I think far too much hairsplitting goes on between "right", "left"and "center". Outfield is outfield, just make it generic. It's a position that demands running, fielding and throwing, so it's absolutely worthy and there were and are absolutely those who can own the position and those who can't, plus there's a bottomless well of outstanding plays made from, or in, the outfield.

I submit that if you're going to include the nothing-position of first basemen, you can't exclude the outfield.

The least valuable position on the field, bar none. It's where you put your least talented player just so you can have his bat in the lineup. Show me a 1B anywhere who's there because of his fielding.

If we did open a thread about 1Bs what would we be talking about with the players? BATTING. Every position bats. What does that tell you.

The least valuable position on the field, bar none. It's where you put your least talented player just so you can have his bat in the lineup. Show me a 1B anywhere who's there because of his fielding.

If we did open a thread about 1Bs what would we be talking about with the players? BATTING. Every position bats. What does that tell you.
Keith Hernandez

Last edited:

Keith Hernandez

He earned his keep on that play. Did he get promoted to a more worthy position?

Keith Hernandez

Hernandez could have easily handled third base or the OF. He was more effective at first

Keith Hernandez

Hernandez could have easily handled third base or the OF. He was more effective at first

I remember him playing well at first base, in addition to third base. He was a fine ballplayer.

He made his bones at 1st base but Pete Rose used to be a 3rd Baseman. I always liked his grit and determination. They called him Charlie Hustler or something like that. Also, Bill Madlock was one of my favorites just because of the way he played...

IIRC Rose started at 2B originally, played about everywhere except the battery. He only went to 1B late in his career.

"Charlie Hustler" :rofl:
That guy played all over the place. I think he should've attempted to play all nine positions in the same game. I believe he could've easily done it. I'm pretty sure only two players have done this in MLB history. I'll look it up.

I know one of them already.

Cookie Rojas. Number 16.
My Father worked a part time job with a local Italian Bread bakery and was delivering rolls and met Rojas. Rojas gave him three tickets for a game for some bread. We sat behind the plate in the upper deck at Connie Mack Stadium. Caught a foul ball hit by Bob Uecker. And then he hit one of his rare home runs. Forgot who the Phils played. Of course used the ball until the cover was coming off and put electrical tape on it and used it until it was no more.

He made his bones at 1st base but Pete Rose used to be a 3rd Baseman. I always liked his grit and determination. They called him Charlie Hustler or something like that. Also, Bill Madlock was one of my favorites just because of the way he played...

IIRC Rose started at 2B originally, played about everywhere except the battery. He only went to 1B late in his career.

That guy played all over the place. I think he should've attempted to play all nine positions in the same game. I believe he could've easily done it. I'm pretty sure only two players have done this in MLB history. I'll look it up.

Cookie Rojas. Number 16.
My Father worked a part time job with a local Italian Bread bakery and was delivering rolls and met Rojas. Rojas gave him three tickets for a game for some bread. We sat behind the plate in the upper deck at Connie Mack Stadium. Caught a foul ball hit by Bob Uecker. And then he hit one of his rare home runs. Forgot who the Phils played. Of course used the ball until the cover was coming off and put electrical tape on it and used it until it was no more.
Wow! Too bad you didn't save the baseball.

Cookie Rojas. Number 16.
There is a lot of things that if were saved from those days would make many a lot wealthier if sold. The thing is I wanted to save it. But my friends convinced me to use the ball. We used to play in the park but also on a large concrete/black top school yard. That ended any chance for that ball.

Cookie Rojas. Number 16.
There is a lot of things that if were saved from those days would make many a lot wealthier if sold. The thing is I wanted to save it. But my friends convinced me to use the ball. We used to play in the park but also on a large concrete/black top school yard. That ended any chance for that ball.
That's very understandable. I probably would've done the same thing as a kid.

Keith Hernandez

He HAD TO be at first --- he's lefthanded.

Hernández was a great fielder -- the exception that proves the rule.

Cookie Rojas. Number 16.

EVERYBODY loved Cookie. Man could do anything.

Damn, this baseball-less Spring is REALLY starting to get to me. So, to alleviate my yearning for live baseball, ANY baseball, I thought I'd offer up another question ABOUT the sport. These would be players who either played their whole careers at third base, or at least most of their careers at that position. I WOULD'VE included A-Rod, but he played most of his career at shortstop before converting to third base. Anyway, here's some of my favorites - 1) Mike Schmidt, THE best power hitter to ever play third base, he was a fine defensive player, as well. 2) Brooks Robinson - THE best defensive third baseman I've seen. His play at that position was nothing less than stellar. And he was a pretty decent hitter, as well. 3) George Brett - great all-around hitter, he hit for power AND batting average. He was a decent defensive player, as well. 4) Wade Boggs, possibly a better natural hitter than Brett, he didn't have nearly the power George had. And Wade was a fine defensive player, as well. 5) Eddie Matthews - a VERY fine power hitter for many years for the Braves. He finished with over 500 career home runs, a HUGE feat in itself. He's also, I believe, possibly the only Braves player in franchise history to play for them when their home was Boston, Milwaukee, and Atlanta. He was a fine defensive player, as well. Well, there's MY top five, who are some of yours?
I love all your choices but how could you forget the funnest baseball player to watch who played the game with passion like nobody else ever did in the game.? Pete rose.? My favorite,he started out in the outfield but played most his career at third base before finishing at first in hiis twilight years remember.. ? George Brett would actually be a tie for me with rose.

Cookie Rojas. Number 16.

I barely remember cookie,I thought he played second.? I know in his latter days he played second did he play third n the beginning yeah he was one of my faves as well for sure,ish I could have been around earlier to have had the chance to watch more of him,forgot about brooks robinson as well since I never really got to watch him.thanks for reminding us.

Cookie Rojas. Number 16.

I barely remember cookie,I thought he played second.? I know in his latter days he played second did he play third n the beginning yeah he was one of my faves as well for sure,ish I could have been around earlier to have had the chance to watch more of him,forgot about brooks robinson as well since I never really got to watch him.thanks for reminding us.
I believe you're right about Cookie. I'm pretty sure he was primarily a second baseman.

Mike Schmidt, no question. Played for the Phillies his entire career including a world series in 1980.

Pretty much all positions he could have played with ease except pitcher.i don’t think that’s correct though that he started at second,I Am pretty sure he started in the outfield,then a brief time at second before playing most his career at third, Charlie hustler indeed,only agent candyass could have come up with that one. :auiqs.jpg: :lmao:

Scott
FIVE players have done this. Bert Campaneris in 1965, Cesar Tovar in 1968, I remember those two, Scott Sheldon in 2000, Shane Halter in 2000, and Andrew Romine in 2017. Impressive!
Only two of the five were decent players, Tovar, who was a pretty good hitter, and Campaneris, who was great defensively, and a great base stealer. He finished with 649 career stolen bases.
And Campaneris is 14th all-time, with those 649 stolen bases.
Campy is the only name I ever heard of in that group.

Forum List

Back