Who are some of your favorite bass players, in any genre, all-time?

bluzman61

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2019
Valparaiso, Indiana USA
The bassist, along with the drummer, provide the back beat and rhythm of every band. Bass players, like drummers, are an essential part of a band's sound. Here are some of my favorites - 1) John Entwistle, simply the best and most powerful bass player I've ever heard. He, along with Keith Moon, anchored many of the classic songs by The Who. It sometimes sounded as if John was playing LEAD BASS GUITAR. Just a fantastic bassist. And he released quite a few solo albums, as well. And they make for some nice listening. 2) Stuart Hamm, a longtime associate of Joe Satriani's, "Stu" played with Joe on every tour I saw of Joe. He hasn't done much studio work with Joe, Joe seems to prefer another bassist for that or he plays bass himself on these recordings. Stu usually did a few songs of his own when performing with Joe, and featured a very prominent LEAD BASS. 3) Les Claypool, the very offbeat, but VERY fine bassist for Primus and other various bands he's worked with over the years. Les's vocals are NOT lovely to listen to, but they fit his music. And he, like John and Stu, plays some awesome LEAD BASS on some songs. 4) Chris Squire, he, along with Bill Bruford on drums, anchored the classic early music of Yes. Chris was just a fantastic bassist, listen to his work on songs like "Roundabout" and you'll hear what I mean. 5) Paul McCartney, yes Paul, he was and is a terrific bass player. He and Ringo kept a steady rhythm for the Beatles. And Paul is also a fine guitarist AND drummer, to boot. Paul's most amazing bass playing, to my ears, can be found in his song, "Silly Love Songs". Just brilliant work. Here are some of my favorites, who are some of yours?

One influence>>>

Nov-2010-Larry-Graham-bass-musician-magazine-small-450x600.jpg

~S~

The bassist, along with the drummer, provide the back beat and rhythm of every band. Bass players, like drummers, are an essential part of a band's sound. Here are some of my favorites - 1) John Entwistle, simply the best and most powerful bass player I've ever heard. He, along with Keith Moon, anchored many of the classic songs by The Who. It sometimes sounded as if John was playing LEAD BASS GUITAR. Just a fantastic bassist. And he released quite a few solo albums, as well. And they make for some nice listening. 2) Stuart Hamm, a longtime associate of Joe Satriani's, "Stu" played with Joe on every tour I saw of Joe. He hasn't done much studio work with Joe, Joe seems to prefer another bassist for that or he plays bass himself on these recordings. Stu usually did a few songs of his own when performing with Joe, and featured a very prominent LEAD BASS. 3) Les Claypool, the very offbeat, but VERY fine bassist for Primus and other various bands he's worked with over the years. Les's vocals are NOT lovely to listen to, but they fit his music. And he, like John and Stu, plays some awesome LEAD BASS on some songs. 4) Chris Squire, he, along with Bill Bruford on drums, anchored the classic early music of Yes. Chris was just a fantastic bassist, listen to his work on songs like "Roundabout" and you'll hear what I mean. 5) Paul McCartney, yes Paul, he was and is a terrific bass player. He and Ringo kept a steady rhythm for the Beatles. And Paul is also a fine guitarist AND drummer, to boot. Paul's most amazing bass playing, to my ears, can be found in his song, "Silly Love Songs". Just brilliant work. Here are some of my favorites, who are some of yours?

Nuff Said.....

Nuff Said.....

the Ox, total animal!

~S~

You pretty much nailed my list.

And in the correct order too!

Forum List

Back