Whitey Bulger is a hero to some

James 'Whitey Bulger Guilty...
:cool:
High life brought low: Jury finds 'Whitey' Bulger guilty in killings, racketeering
Mon August 12, 2013 > Bulger was arrested in 2011 in Santa Monica, California, after some 16 years on the lam; He ran Boston's Irish mob from the 1970s through the early 1990s; A jury finds Bulger responsible for the murder of 11 people, guilty of racketeering; He could spend the rest of his life behind bars; Sentencing is set for November
Two years ago, James "Whitey" Bulger -- the famed and much-feared head of the Boston mob -- was sitting pretty in Santa Monica, California. Today, he's sitting in prison, where he could potentially spend the rest of the life. The turn of events was capped Monday when a federal jury found the former mob boss guilty on 31 of 32 counts -- including extortion, money laundering, drug dealing and weapons possession. The jury held Bulger responsible for the murder of 11 people. The 83-year-old Bulger faces a maximum sentence of up to life, plus 30 years in prison. "So many peoples' lives were so terribly harmed by the criminal actions of Bulger and his crew. And today's conviction does not alter that harm, and it doesn't lessen it," said U.S. Attorney Carmen Ortiz, speaking about the victims and their families. "However, we hope that they find some degree of comfort in the fact that today has come, and Bulger is being held accountable for his horrific crimes," she said. Bulger was accused of involvement in killing 19 people, including two women.

The jury found Bulger played a role in 11 of those murders, and that the evidence did not prove he was involved in seven, stretching back to 1973. The jury made no finding in one murder. Pat Donahue, widow of victim Michael Donahue, cried openly when the verdict was announced. Victim Eddie Connors' daughter, Karen, clenched her fists and said, "Yes" when her father's death by Bulger was proved. But the daughter of victim Francis "Buddy" Leonard left court after the jury did not find enough evidence to link Bulger to his death. "Thirty-eight years ago when my father died, we always knew who killed him. We still know who killed him, and we still cant get any justice," said Connie Leonard, now grown. And victim Debra Davis' brother, Steven Davis, left in disbelief after the jury had "no finding" in her death. Debra Davis was dating Bulger partner Steve Flemmi, and one day in 1981 just didn't come home. "It's hard to digest. With all the years since '81, I've been looking for answers, searching for answers, and I come out with an NF. It's not good enough," Steven Davis told CNN. "I put up a big fight for justice, for answers. Some people say closure. I don't believe in closure, but I believe that I deserve more than an NF. I'm disappointed," he said.

16 years on the lam

The eight men and four women of the jury deliberated for five days, over more than 32 hours, before reaching their verdict. The only count Bulger was not found guilty of was on the alleged extortion of Kevin Hayes, a ticket broker, who had said he was warned in 1994 that he had to give "payoffs" to Bulger in order to operate. Bulger showed no emotion as the verdicts were read. They came after seven weeks of testimony about murder, extortion, drug trafficking, loansharking, bookmaking and other gangster crimes covering the time Bulger ran Boston's Irish mob from the early '70s through late 1994, when he fled the city. The case closes an epic criminal tale that included a life on the lam for 16 years that began when a crooked FBI agent told Bulger that he was about to be indicted on federal racketeering charges.

The gangster who ruled south Boston soon became one of the most wanted men in America. Bulger the FBI informant became Bulger the FBI fugitive. It was the stuff of Hollywood moviemaking, and in fact, Bulger's mob-boss brutality inspired Jack Nicholson's character in the film "The Departed," which was directed by Martin Scorsese and won four Oscars in 2006, including best picture. Then, in 2011, the FBI finally tracked him down: Bulger was living on the other side of the country in an apartment just blocks from the beaches of Santa Monica. He had about $822,000 in cash -- largely $100 bills -- hidden inside a wall in his apartment, located in a tourist haven right beside Los Angeles. Bulger also kept 30 guns in his residence. Daring to the end, Bulger was hiding in plain sight, living under an alias with his girlfriend. They called themselves Charlie and Carol Gasko.

Bulger 'pleased' by the verdict

He was a bad, bad man...
:eusa_shifty:
JUROR: GOV'T CORRUPTION IN BULGER CASE STUNNED ME
Aug. 15,`13 — A juror in Boston mobster James "Whitey" Bulger's (BUHL'-jurz) trial says testimony showed that the man once listed as the FBI's most wanted fugitive was a "bad, bad man," but she was still stunned by revelations of government corruption that enabled him to operate for years.
Janet Uhlar-Tinney also says failure by prosecutors to provide sufficient evidence to back allegations by former mobsters who testified against Bulger made it impossible to determine without reasonable doubt that he killed eight of 19 victims.

Uhlar-Tinney says many jurors were shaking when the verdict was handed down Monday. Bulger was convicted of 11 murders as well as other charges, from extortion to money laundering.

Uhlar-Tinney says the two-month trial was consuming and some jurors lost weight or had trouble sleeping.

Juror: Gov't corruption in Bulger case stunned me

He's got his retirement locked in with a life sentence. With his reputation and record, he will be an honored inmate.

I can understand black criminals, like Tookie Williams or Mumia being a hero to liberals, but a white criminal hero is a bit mystifying.

Lucky Luciano
Al Capone
John Dillinger
Meyer Lansky
Frank Costello
John Gotti
Frank Nitti

All white gangsters whose legends live on, and are considered heros to many.

I can understand black criminals, like Tookie Williams or Mumia being a hero to liberals, but a white criminal hero is a bit mystifying.

Billy was beloved by the MA liberal elite.
They even let him keep his pension after his links to organized crime came out!!

I recall the corrupt midget is a double-dipper: he has his state Senate pension, PLUS the pension from his no-show job with U-Mass!

And, of course, the fact that he got a whole bunch of his cronies bogus "jobs" at the MBTA!

Whitey Bulger gets two life sentences, must pay $19.5 million...
:cool:
Whitey Bulger, Boston gangster found responsible for 11 murders, gets life in prison
Notorious Boston gangster James “Whitey” Bulger was sentenced today to two life sentences in prison plus five years by a federal judge who cited the lives that Bulger wrecked as he rampaged for decades through the city’s underworld under the protection of corrupt FBI agents.
“The testimony of human suffering that you and your associates inflicted on others was at times agonizing to hear and painful to watch,” said US District Court Judge Denise J. Casper, who recited, one by one, the names of the people Bulger murdered. “The scope, the callousness, the depravity of your crimes, are almost unfathomable,” she said in the stillness of a courtroom filled with teary-eyed relatives of the killer’s victims. Bulger, 84, was convicted earlier this year of charges that he participated in 11 murders, drug trafficking, racketeering, money laundering, extortion, and other crimes. Bulger fled Boston shortly before his 1995 racketeering indictment. One of the FBI’s 10 Most Wanted — along with Osama bin Laden — he eluded a worldwide manhunt until he was captured in June 2011 in Santa Monica, Calif.

Bulger was able to operate with impunity for years as a prized informant for the FBI who had a cozy relationship with corrupt agents. Showing no emotion, Bulger listened intently to Casper’s remarks and then stood, flanked by his lawyers, in his orange jail jumpsuit, for sentencing. He folded his hands in front of him halfway through the judge’s words. “You are hereby committed to the Bureau of Prisons for the term of life,” the judge told him. Tom Donahue, whose father, Michael, was an innocent bystander killed in 1982 by Bulger, said after the hearing, “It’s a good feeling. I never thought it would come. Finally, my dad can be at peace.” “It’s the end and that’s good. Just that it’s over,” said Patrick Callahan, son of John Callahan, another 1982 victim of Bulger. “I’m glad he’s going away and can’t hurt anybody else.”

Casper also ordered Bulger to pay $19.5 million in restitution to his victims’ families. And she ordered him to forfeit $25.2 million to the government. The awards appeared to be largely symbolic because law enforcement has not uncovered anywhere near that amount of money stashed away by Bulger. Noting the publicity that has been given to Bulger’s story in recent years, Casper said, “You have over time and in certain quarters become a face of this city. That is regrettable. You and others may be deluded into thinking that you represent this city, but you, sir, do not represent this city.”

Referring to the city’s response to the Boston Marathon bombings this year, Casper said, “This year, 2013, with all that’s happened in this city, the City of Boston, both tragic and triumphant, you and the horrible things that were recounted by your cohorts during the course of this trial do not and should not represent this city.” Casper said she hardly knew where to begin in discussing Bulger’s crimes and that she had “struggled with what would ever be just punishment for the unfathomable harm that you have caused.”

MORE

Movie made about life and crime of Whitey Bulger...

Sales of 'Whitey' Bulger memorabilia rise with film release
23 Sept.`15 — There's a mugshot from Alcatraz, an autographed prison shirt and poker chips featuring his photo.
Memorabilia related to Boston gangster James "Whitey" Bulger is being peddled to coincide with the release of the new Johnny Depp movie on Bulger's life. "Black Mass" hit theaters last week. Now, Bulger items are all over eBay and sellers are hoping to cash in on the movie's buzz. Some relatives of Bulger's victims aren't happy about all the hawking.

99740affd2bada2a820f6a706700447e.jpg

Phil Castinetti shows a prison uniform displayed at his memorabilia store in Peabody, Mass., that Castinetti said belonged to convicted New England gangster James "Whitey" Bulger. Castinetti said he has received a $25,000 bid for it. Bulger was captured in 2011 and convicted of numerous crimes in 2013 after 16 years on the run. People are peddling all types of Bulger memorabilia as the “Black Mass,” a movie about the notorious gangster, hits theaters. Some of Bulger's victims are not amused.

Patricia Donahue, whose husband was killed by Bulger and an associate in 1982, said she doesn't understand why anyone would want to buy or sell anything that belonged to Bulger. "People just can't seem to get enough of this man, who's a psychopath," she said. "You try to make money off a man who has killed ... and the victims' families are still around. I think it's in very bad taste. I think people should just let it rest and let it go."

205c3064d2bada2a820f6a7067005528.jpg

The U.S. Marshals Service shows James "Whitey" Bulger, captured in Santa Monica, Calif., after 16 years on the run, and convicted of multiple crimes in a Boston federal court in August 2013. People are peddling all types of Bulger memorabilia as the “Black Mass,” a movie about the notorious gangster, hits theaters in September 2015. Some of Bulger's victims are not amused.

Bulger, now 86, was one of the most notorious gangsters in Boston, running a violent criminal organization from the 1970s into the 1990s after serving time in Alcatraz, among other prisons, for armed robbery and truck hijacking. He fled Boston on the eve of a racketeering indictment in 1995 and remained one of the nation's most wanted fugitives until he was captured in Santa Monica, California, in 2011. In 2013, he was convicted of participating in 11 killings and a litany of other crimes. He is serving life in prison.

b86c931ed2beda2a820f6a70670000e9.jpg

This 1998 file photo released by the Federal Bureau of Investigation shows a "Wanted" advertisement placed in a magazine as the FBI was seeking information on New England organized crime leader James J. "Whitey" Bulger. Bulger was captured in 2011 and convicted of numerous crimes in 2013 after 16 years on the run. People are peddling all types of Bulger memorabilia as the “Black Mass,” a movie about the notorious gangster, hits theaters in September 2015. Some of Bulger's victims are not amused.

A memorabilia store in Peabody is auctioning off an orange jail-issued shirt supposedly worn by Bulger at the Plymouth County jail. Store owner Phil Castinetti said he has received a $25,000 bid from a Boston restaurant owner for the shirt. He said he bought the shirt from a former inmate who Bulger befriended in jail. "Whitey took a liking to him. When the kid got released, he signed it and gave it to him and told him to get a jumpstart on life, do the right thing, and sell it," Castinetti said.

MORE

Forum List

Back