White Texas police officer found guilty of murder for fatally shooting black teen in car

If the problem is anger management then why does race matter?
Maybe because when the police have actually been threatened or had guns pointed at them by white subjects, those subjects rarely seem to end up dead, while black subjects even when not violating the law or threathening the police seem to far too often end up dead.

Anger management is merely a sympton of the problem - think of the pecking order. Man gets yelled at by his boss but of course he can't respond in kind or anger so he goes home and yells at his wife, wife then yells at their kid and then the kid kicks the dog.

A cop has some type of problem with aggression, who do you think he's going to take that out on? Those who he views as being powerless and for the longest time white cops were shooting & killing black people, particularly men, with impunity and ALWAYS were found to have been justified. It seems like the tide may finally be turning a bit.

This year there have been 261 whites killed by cops and 121 blacks killed by cops. In reality, based upon the number of police interactions throughout the US and the number of crimes commited , both are rare.
Though, there are high profile cases that the news media runs past us, it IS very rare when a white person killed by a cop is shown. I'm sure a lot of those could be questionable as well. I think the news media wants to cause as much division as possible in that being able to call conservatives and police racist is very advantageous to the political party they support.

No doubt though, there have been to many cases like the OP that are hard to stomach because one seems like too much. It's very sad I agree, I just dont believe you can paint an entire police force this way

I just watched the video. It was a good shoot. The car was SPEEDING OFF and damn near clipped his partner. He shouldn't have been found guilty because a car of thugs decided to harm a cop. Such a great partner,Oliver saves his life and he throws him to the wolves on the stand...what a piece of shit. Funny how this NEVER happens with white kids because REAL PARENTS know better than to allow our kids to attend parties with drugs,guns,violence etc...AND in an obvious bad area.
You're so full of it. Take any predominantly white state, Oregon for example and look at their inmate population, it's almost exclusively white so that blows your "real parents" theory to hell.

From the article:

Jordan’s parents said in the sentencing phase that their family will never be the same. Odell Edwards said that he didn’t think anything of allowing his kids to go to the party — they are good kids, he said, and were told no drinking, no drugs and if anyone else was doing those things they must leave.

Indeed. It's so rare it gets mentioned while hundreds of black people are killed in Chicago every year with the Prog Elites just giving a shrug. Here's the data for 2018 alone - note the race of most of the victims.

Homicides in Chicago 2018: A list of every victim - Chicago Sun-Times
You honestly aren't able to ascertain the difference between a person being killed by another member of society who happens to be a criminal and being killed by an agent of the government whose job is to protect society not kill off it's members?

White Texas police officer found guilty of murder for fatally shooting black teen in car

A former police officer was found guilty of murder on Tuesday for shooting into a car carrying black teenagers, killing one 15-year-old boy.

by Daniella Silva / Aug.28.2018 / 12:25 PM ET / Updated Aug.28.2018 / 5:45 PM ET
Defendant Roy Oliver, right, and his defense attorney Bob Gill speak before the verdict came down at the Frank Crowley Courts Building in Dallas on Aug. 28, 2018.Rose Baca / The Dallas Morning News via AP, Pool

A former Texas police officer was found guilty of murder on Tuesday for shooting into a car carrying a group of teenagers, killing a 15-year-old boy.

Roy Oliver, who is white, was found guilty in the death of high school freshman Jordan Edwards, who was black. The teen was in the passenger seat of a car leaving a house party when the officer opened fire in April 2017. Oliver was found not guilty on two aggravated assault charges.

Jordan's father, Odell Edwards, said after that he wanted to "jump up and down" when he heard the verdict and was "thankful."

"I'm happy, very happy. It's been a long time, a hard year," he said.

Edwards' family attorney, Daryl Washington, said Jordan's father never wanted another family to go through what he went through losing his son.

"This case is not just about Jordan, it's about Tamir Rice, it's about Walter Scott, it's about Alton Sterling, it's about every African American ... who has been killed and has not gotten justice," he said, referring to other black boys and men that have been killed by police.

"We are just happy that here in Dallas, Texas, that Roy Oliver is going to have to do his time for taking Jordan's life," he added. "What he did on that night should have never happened and we're just happy that we've gotten justice today."

Good. The cop was clearly an asshole who felt he was above the law. He learned differently.

I hate to see anyone harmed, or killed, particularly in error, or with malice. IMO there have been too many OIS over the past several years resulting in injuries & deaths.
This officer obviously did the wrong thing. First, he lied about the circumstances of the 'claimed' threat; this was made plain to see by LE video cam.
I see that the (former) officer's partner testified he never believed, nor perceived he was in danger, nor his partner.
The officer was found GUILTY of murder. I hope he spends the rest of his life behind bars.
The jury made the right call = Congrats.
If I was on jury I would have voted “innocent.” Why? “Thanks O.J.”

Because OJ’s legal team managed to cast doubt on pretty much every piece of evidence? Because it showed what the best lawyers in the country can do if you can afford them? Come on. They cast doubt on Furman with the recording of him using the N word. The gloves. And Kato was a douch who looked stoned out of his gourd.

Obviously you subscribe to the perversion of the standard. Or perhaps I should say the standard is fine when applied to cops. It is better for a thousand guilty cops go free than one innocent cop be found guilty.

Because its a rarity when a white cop kills a black and gets found guilty.

It's a rarity when a white cop kills anyone.

Indeed. It's so rare it gets mentioned while hundreds of black people are killed in Chicago every year with the Prog Elites just giving a shrug. Here's the data for 2018 alone - note the race of most of the victims.

Homicides in Chicago 2018: A list of every victim - Chicago Sun-Times
According to liberals the black-on-Black violence in Chicago is still the fault of the “white devils “ because of slavery. What limited logic there is to such a worn out argument. Rev. Wright, Farrakhan, and black members of Congress still use it as a crutch. Black communities have to lift themselves up.

A former police officer was found guilty of murder on Tuesday for shooting into a car carrying black teenagers, killing one 15-year-old boy.

by Daniella Silva / Aug.28.2018 / 12:25 PM ET / Updated Aug.28.2018 / 5:45 PM ET
Defendant Roy Oliver, right, and his defense attorney Bob Gill speak before the verdict came down at the Frank Crowley Courts Building in Dallas on Aug. 28, 2018.Rose Baca / The Dallas Morning News via AP, Pool

A former Texas police officer was found guilty of murder on Tuesday for shooting into a car carrying a group of teenagers, killing a 15-year-old boy.

Roy Oliver, who is white, was found guilty in the death of high school freshman Jordan Edwards, who was black. The teen was in the passenger seat of a car leaving a house party when the officer opened fire in April 2017. Oliver was found not guilty on two aggravated assault charges.

Jordan's father, Odell Edwards, said after that he wanted to "jump up and down" when he heard the verdict and was "thankful."

Edwards' family attorney, Daryl Washington, said Jordan's father never wanted another family to go through what he went through losing his son.

"This case is not just about Jordan, it's about Tamir Rice, it's about Walter Scott, it's about Alton Sterling, it's about every African American ... who has been killed and has not gotten justice," he said, referring to other black boys and men that have been killed by police.

"We are just happy that here in Dallas, Texas, that Roy Oliver is going to have to do his time for taking Jordan's life," he added. "What he did on that night should have never happened and we're just happy that we've gotten justice today."

Good. The cop was clearly an asshole who felt he was above the law. He learned differently.

I hate to see anyone harmed, or killed, particularly in error, or with malice. IMO there have been too many OIS over the past several years resulting in injuries & deaths.
This officer obviously did the wrong thing. First, he lied about the circumstances of the 'claimed' threat; this was made plain to see by LE video cam.
I see that the (former) officer's partner testified he never believed, nor perceived he was in danger, nor his partner.
The officer was found GUILTY of murder. I hope he spends the rest of his life behind bars.

I'm sure you would of the cop was white and the 15 year old kid was black.

Because OJ’s legal team managed to cast doubt on pretty much every piece of evidence? Because it showed what the best lawyers in the country can do if you can afford them? Come on. They cast doubt on Furman with the recording of him using the N word. The gloves. And Kato was a douch who looked stoned out of his gourd.

Obviously you subscribe to the perversion of the standard. Or perhaps I should say the standard is fine when applied to cops. It is better for a thousand guilty cops go free than one innocent cop be found guilty.

O. J. has nothing to do with this case; you are a ****ing moron.

Looks like the (former) officer was sentenced to 15 years, for MURDER.

'And justice for all' just died, again
. And people wonder why citizens have no respect for law & order.

Looks like the (former) officer was sentenced to 15 years, for MURDER.

'And justice for all' just died, again
. And people wonder why citizens have no respect for law & order.
Seems about right.

so once again the system worked as it should

Black jury found O.J. Not guilty because he killed two white people.

O.J. murdered two people and spent no time in prison for it.

Of course he does. OP brought race in as an issue.

O.J. murdered two people and spent no time in prison for it.

O. J. was tried & found not guilty by a court of his pears. That is America. If you don't like that well, then you don't like it.

Of course he does. OP brought race in as an issue.

OK; I see you are playing dumb.

OK; I see you are not playing.

When I was in college I got pulled over at night in an area known for running drugs. It was late and I wanted to take a short cut. White cop pulled me over. Most whites are down in that shit hole to buy dope at that time of night. Good police work to racially profile me.
That kind of profiling is not lawful.

Oh? I had it done to me because I dropped a co-worker off in the projects for my boss.

Because its a rarity when a white cop kills a black and gets found guilty.
Fact is more white people are killed by cops than black.

Give me a break, the black pop is 12%. So give it a rest. We all know white cops kill blacks and get away scott free.

I knew Scott Free, and you, madame, are no Scott Free!

The term is "scot free".

When I was in college I got pulled over at night in an area known for running drugs. It was late and I wanted to take a short cut. White cop pulled me over. Most whites are down in that shit hole to buy dope at that time of night. Good police work to racially profile me.
That kind of profiling is not lawful.

Yes, it is perfectly legal and is based on the actions of past criminals. Apparently, you watch too much TV!

Yeah. I am curious if race was ever considered a factor in this guy's decision to fire into the car. If not, it being brought up serves no purpose but to fan the flames.

Forum List

Back