While the country is focused on Healthcare and Collusion, sneaky GOP cuts minimum wage

It's the people's fault. I say lower minimum wage. The people who make minimum wage don't vote. They are realizing elections have consequences
Punish people who make minimum wage because they aren't punished enough? Really?
I see the goop's side of this. There are situations where the kid should only be getting $5 hr. The putt putt golf coarse kid or batting cage kid.

Anyways, why didn't these poor people show up for Hillary? So now they're going to realize the difference between parties.

I'm not going to cry every time Republicans do what Republicans do. Let's hope people show up in 2018. Will they?

How about the whole concept of an "entry level" job being entry level, and not something designed to raise a family on, or even be something you can support yourself on.

The idea is to work up the ladder, not hang on the bottom rung and wonder why its so hard to be hanging there.
That's the real problem. I'm not going to tell Republicans what to do. They told blue collar they would make America great again and if part of their plan is to lower minimum wage, who am I to argue? Do you make minimum wage? I don't. So raising minimum wage lowers the value of my salary. Is my employer going to raise my wages?

Blue collar voted for Trump and Republicans. Let them see what voting Republican gets them.

True. it's still amazing the DNC decided they could ignore one of their core constituencies for the past 50 years.
Trumps message appealed even to unions. They got conned like Trump University students.

Republicans in several states are lowering the minimum wage — yes, you read that right

While journalists and political junkies are focused on the latest implosion of the GOP effort to repeal Obamacare and gut Medicaid, conservatives in several states have been working to decrease the minimum wage that businesses can pay to their workers.

In Missouri, Republicans just passed a law overturning a local measure passed by the city of St. Louis that had raised the minimum wage to $10 per hour.

Senate grinds to a halt as Republicans push local minimum wage ban through

The Republicans' hypocrisy on minimum wage

------------------------------------------

How Much Could I Receive? | Food and Nutrition Service

Say a mother of two is making 8 bucks an hour. That's around $1280 a month. Say she's single because her husband died and left her without any money. And out of that $1280 is rent and clothes and healthcare.

According to food stamp rules, she would get her income times .3 which would be subtracted from $511 which would come out to less than $130 a month.

There is one problem with that amount. Republicans think it is way too much.

Yea, the heartless bastards think that's way too much. That's today's GOP. They kneel at the alter of the Church of the Heartless Bastard. Far removed from Christ.

Right wingers vote them into office because they believe their lives aren't miserable enough.

And now, they think Putin, of all the evil people in the world, is a "great" leader. Because people in Russia are so happy.

Russia is a mess — the poverty rate is soaring and only 10 of 85 regions are financially stable

Cute little anecdotal story about a mother of 2 and a dead husband earning minimum wage. How about we look at the reality of who actually earns minimum wage? Mostly uneducated, part time, unmarried, no kids working in restaurants. Here are the facts-

Characteristics of minimum wage workers, 2015 : BLS Reports: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Age. Minimum wage workers tend to be young. Although workers under age 25 represented only about one-fifth of hourly paid workers, they made up about half of those paid the federal minimum wage or less. Among employed teenagers (ages 16 to 19) paid by the hour, about 11 percent earned the minimum wage or less, compared with about 2 percent of workers age 25 and older. (See tables 1 and 7.)

Gender. Among workers who were paid hourly rates in 2015, about 4 percent of women and about 3 percent of men had wages at or below the prevailing federal minimum. (See table 1.)

Race and Hispanic or Latino ethnicity. The major race and ethnicity groups had similar percentages of hourly workers paid wages at or below the federal minimum. About 3 percent of White, Asian, and Hispanic or Latino workers earned the federal minimum wage or less. Among Black workers, the percentage was about 4 percent. (See table 1.)

Education. Among hourly paid workers age 16 and older, about 6 percent of those without a high school diploma earned the federal minimum wage or less, compared with about 3 percent of those who had a high school diploma (with no college), 3 percent of those with some college or an associate degree, and about 2 percent of college graduates. (See table 6.)

Marital status. Of those paid an hourly wage, never-married workers, who tend to be young, were more likely (5 percent) than married workers (2 percent) to earn the federal minimum wage or less. (See table 8.)

Full- and part-time status. About 7 percent of part-time workers (those who usually work fewer than 35 hours per week) were paid at or below the federal minimum wage, compared with about 2 percent of full-time workers. (See tables 1 and 9.)

Occupation. Among major occupational groups, the highest percentage of hourly paid workers earning at or below the federal minimum wage was in service occupations, at about 9 percent. Almost two-thirds of workers earning the minimum wage or less in 2015 were employed in service occupations, mostly in food preparation and serving related jobs. (See table 4.)

Industry. The industry with the highest percentage of workers earning hourly wages at or below the federal minimum wage was leisure and hospitality (15 percent). Nearly three-fifths of all workers paid at or below the federal minimum wage were employed in this industry, the vast majority in restaurants and other food services. For many of these workers, tips may supplement the hourly wages received. (See table 5.)

State of residence. The states with the highest percentages of hourly paid workers earning at or below the federal minimum wage were in the South: Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Virginia (all were about 6 percent). The states with the lowest percentages of hourly paid workers earning at or below the federal minimum wage were in the West: Alaska, California, Oregon, and Washington (all were about 1 percent). It should be noted that some states have laws establishing higher minimum wage rates than the federal minimum wage. (See tables 2 and 3.)

Punish people who make minimum wage because they aren't punished enough? Really?
I see the goop's side of this. There are situations where the kid should only be getting $5 hr. The putt putt golf coarse kid or batting cage kid.

Anyways, why didn't these poor people show up for Hillary? So now they're going to realize the difference between parties.

I'm not going to cry every time Republicans do what Republicans do. Let's hope people show up in 2018. Will they?

How about the whole concept of an "entry level" job being entry level, and not something designed to raise a family on, or even be something you can support yourself on.

The idea is to work up the ladder, not hang on the bottom rung and wonder why its so hard to be hanging there.
In a factory that pays minimum wage they usually give a 30 cent raise after 6 months. That's shit.

But wait a second! I just thought of something. Why would any employer try to pay minimum wage now? We were told that with illegals gone companies would be forced to pay more to attract workers. If Republicans were telling the truth wages should be going up. Who's paying less?

What type of factory work pays minimum wage these days? Sweeping the floor?
In your fantasy world they would. And you'd say it's good because at minimum wage the corporation can hire more people.

We set minimum wage because corporations can't be trusted to do the right thing on their own.

No, government sets minimum wage because they want to be merciless busybodies. Do you really think someone could get away with paying someone $2.00 an hour.

and the real issue is now the concept is going beyond minimum wage to livable wage, i.e. paying someone more than the value they add to an given product or service.

That's the real problem. I'm not going to tell Republicans what to do. They told blue collar they would make America great again and if part of their plan is to lower minimum wage, who am I to argue? Do you make minimum wage? I don't. So raising minimum wage lowers the value of my salary. Is my employer going to raise my wages?

Blue collar voted for Trump and Republicans. Let them see what voting Republican gets them.

True. it's still amazing the DNC decided they could ignore one of their core constituencies for the past 50 years.
Trumps message appealed even to unions. They got conned like Trump University students.

Only a few months in, can't figure out a con or not.

Yep.

Minimum wage is for:
1. Teenagers still living at home.
2. Retirees to keep busy while earning pocket money.
3. Folks between jobs.
4. Stay at home spouses raising kids who have time during school hours.
5. Mentally challenged. (Two of our local grocery stores only hire mentally challenged people for their menial jobs. One of the reasons I shop at both. My neighbor has a mentally challenged daughter. She'll never be able to live on her own. She's always been able to stay employed at wonderful companies with this policy.)

Over the last decade in my area, these jobs have been stolen from this worthy group and given to illegals using false SS numbers. They are cracking down now and we're starting to see more of the above group move back into these jobs in my town. Gee, I wonder what changed?

Agreed. Too soon. And I can't cry when Republicans pass Republican legislation. Elections have consequences. I'll just laugh at poor people when Republicans do things like lower minimum wage and cut welfare.

I hope their ideology proves to work but trickle down doesn't work.

Not for the masses anyways. It might work for me I hope.

In a factory that pays minimum wage they usually give a 30 cent raise after 6 months. That's shit.

But wait a second! I just thought of something. Why would any employer try to pay minimum wage now? We were told that with illegals gone companies would be forced to pay more to attract workers. If Republicans were telling the truth wages should be going up. Who's paying less?

In your fantasy world they would. And you'd say it's good because at minimum wage the corporation can hire more people.

We set minimum wage because corporations can't be trusted to do the right thing on their own.

No, government sets minimum wage because they want to be merciless busybodies. Do you really think someone could get away with paying someone $2.00 an hour.

and the real issue is now the concept is going beyond minimum wage to livable wage, i.e. paying someone more than the value they add to an given product or service.
It couldn't possibly be because we see the gap between rich and poor widening.

I suspect Democrats try to win over votes when they raise minimum wage. We see that didn't work so feel free to lower minimum wage

Yep.

Minimum wage is for:
1. Teenagers still living at home.
2. Retirees to keep busy while earning pocket money.
3. Folks between jobs.
4. Stay at home spouses raising kids who have time during school hours.
5. Mentally challenged. (Two of our local grocery stores only hire mentally challenged people for their menial jobs. One of the reasons I shop at both. My neighbor has a mentally challenged daughter. She'll never be able to live on her own. She's always been able to stay employed at wonderful companies with this policy.)

Over the last decade in my area, these jobs have been stolen from this worthy group and given to illegals using false SS numbers. They are cracking down now and we're starting to see more of the above group move back into these jobs in my town. Gee, I wonder what changed?
How much do you want to pay the retards?

Republicans in several states are lowering the minimum wage — yes, you read that right

While journalists and political junkies are focused on the latest implosion of the GOP effort to repeal Obamacare and gut Medicaid, conservatives in several states have been working to decrease the minimum wage that businesses can pay to their workers.

In Missouri, Republicans just passed a law overturning a local measure passed by the city of St. Louis that had raised the minimum wage to $10 per hour.

Say a mother of two is making 8 bucks an hour. That's around $1280 a month. Say she's single because her husband died and left her without any money. And out of that $1280 is rent and clothes and healthcare.

According to food stamp rules, she would get her income times .3 which would be subtracted from $511 which would come out to less than $130 a month.

Yea, the heartless bastards think that's way too much. That's today's GOP. They kneel at the alter of the Church of the Heartless Bastard. Far removed from Christ.

Right wingers vote them into office because they believe their lives aren't miserable enough.

And now, they think Putin, of all the evil people in the world, is a "great" leader. Because people in Russia are so happy.

Russia is a mess — the poverty rate is soaring and only 10 of 85 regions are financially stable

Notice Republicans always think the poor and middle class need a wage cut, but they would NEVER cut the wages of CEOs, whose bonuses continue to rise even as they lay people off.

Notice Republicans always think the poor and middle class need a wage cut, but they would NEVER cut the wages of CEOs, whose bonuses continue to rise even as they lay people off.
Right,they would never cut CEO pay because They do not wish to interfere with the free market. Yes Seattle's $15 min wage shows that a return to free market wages would allow minimum-wage employees to earn more not less.

Always remember that liberals are communists who simply don't have the IQ to understand the free market. The minimum wage is just one of 1000 ways that they would interfere with the free market which they simply don't have the intelligence to understand ..

I suggest everyone get back in school and learn some kind of trade. I also suggest it's one a robot will unlikely be able to do. The truth is although it's hard if not impossible to make it on such a low minimum wage, if workers push for too high of an increase, technology will take their job altogether. This is coming regardless folks so better get educated and get with the program.
That's an idea the Democrats have had for like, forever.

Trump budget proposes 40% cut to job training programs

Sorry, no jobs programs under the GOP's "F*ck America First" programs and policies.

Told you they are awful. How much proof do you need?

Agreed. Too soon. And I can't cry when Republicans pass Republican legislation. Elections have consequences. I'll just laugh at poor people when Republicans do things like lower minimum wage and cut welfare.

I hope their ideology proves to work but trickle down doesn't work.

Not for the masses anyways. It might work for me I hope.

Do you really think Republicans gather in secret meetings and laugh at poor people?

It couldn't possibly be because we see the gap between rich and poor widening.

I suspect Democrats try to win over votes when they raise minimum wage. We see that didn't work so feel free to lower minimum wage

Yet today's poor are probably more well off than a rich person 100 years ago. A rising tide lifts all boats.

Good Minimum wage is a jobs killer

-Geaux

It's too late to try and cheer my up .... I'm already happy as a puppy with two peckers from all the winning.

Forum List

Back