Which was a better Western........Gunsmoke or Bonanza?

F Troop was like a mini-documentary on the Old West

Never figured out the relationship between Capt Parmenter and Jane though
I was never very big on any of the TV western series I preferred western movies, to a degree besides I still don't watch much TV even now. I'm probably one of the very few who truly hated the spaghetti westerns with a passion, yes that includes the Clint Eastwood ones. Loved the old John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart ones but laugh at most of them now.
Even * Mules for Sister Sarah? (Can't remember the number)
Two Mules for Sister Sarah, it was okay but nothing to write home about.
No, but in comparison to the rest of Eastwood's spaghetti westerns, it was a BIG improvement.
He and his movies improved considerably as he aged, in my opinion Unforgiven was a masterpiece probably the best western he ever did.

i love all of his westerns

even with some of the more obvious flaws

i suppose that is what sets them apart

I used to love Bonanza but watching it now it seems the writing and acting was kind of corny. Can you get any more racist than Hop Sing?

Gunsmoke has held up well. Good acting and good screenwriting. They also covered more socially relevant issues
Eh, wasn't really big on either one. Now F Troop on the other hand......... :eusa_whistle:

I was never very big on any of the TV western series I preferred western movies, to a degree besides I still don't watch much TV even now. I'm probably one of the very few who truly hated the spaghetti westerns with a passion, yes that includes the Clint Eastwood ones. Loved the old John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart ones but laugh at most of them now.

two mules for sister sara

the theme song btw is called

" the cool mule"

I remember going to see that at the Drive in

No, but in comparison to the rest of Eastwood's spaghetti westerns, it was a BIG improvement.
He and his movies improved considerably as he aged, in my opinion Unforgiven was a masterpiece probably the best western he ever did.

Don't get me wrong, I like many of the old westerns, Jimmy Stewart was always one of my favorites though there was little to nothing historically correct about any of his westerns. Same with John Wayne though a few of his were fairly historically correct primarily in terms of clothing, weapons, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I like many of the old westerns, Jimmy Stewart was always one of my favorites though there was little to nothing historically correct about any of his westerns. Same with John Wayne though a few of his were fairly historically correct primarily in terms of clothing, weapons, etc.

Jimmy Stewart always wore the same hat (it had a big sweat stain on the front) in all his westerns. He also always rode the same horse....Pie

526892134.jpg

Last edited:

I agree. My personal favorite was Bronco Billy, though. It is said to be his, as well.

Gunsmoke had better story lines - less syrup. But the original radio Gunsmoke (William Conrad, Parley Baer, Howard McNear, Georgia Ellis) was far superior to the TV series.

Oh, the theme music was titled "Old Trail".

I used to love Bonanza but watching it now it seems the writing and acting was kind of corny. Can you get any more racist than Hop Sing?

Gunsmoke has held up well. Good acting and good screenwriting. They also covered more socially relevant issues

Gunsmoke. The old radio show was pretty good as well... Yes, it was a radio show in days of yore...

Now the question is, Chester or Festus?

Gunsmoke had better story lines - less syrup. But the original radio Gunsmoke (William Conrad, Parley Baer, Howard McNear, Georgia Ellis) was far superior to the TV series.

Oh, the theme music was titled "Old Trail".

I grew up listening to this, among others. My dad had every episode on reel-to-reel. He even had a blooper reel recorded during a rehearsal. Conrad was a funny man...

I would say Gunsmoke. The family thing in Bonanza got a bit corny at times. Did you know that Sam Peckinpah directed some of the Gunsmoke episodes?

Eh, wasn't really big on either one. Now F Troop on the other hand......... :eusa_whistle:

The Indians were hilarious, and my mother was Indian.

The Man who shot Liberty Valance was a good Western
Silverado was a good western...... from an entertainment standpoint....... Young Guns was a good western from an entertainment standpoint, Tombstone...... well, you know where this is going. :D

Quigley Down Under was a good western...

I would say Gunsmoke. The family thing in Bonanza got a bit corny at times. Did you know that Sam Peckinpah directed some of the Gunsmoke episodes?
I think he also did the first season of The Rifleman

The Man who shot Liberty Valance was a good Western
Silverado was a good western...... from an entertainment standpoint....... Young Guns was a good western from an entertainment standpoint, Tombstone...... well, you know where this is going. :D

Quigley Down Under was a good western...
I thought it was a "down under".......... :eusa_whistle:

two mules for sister sara

the theme song btw is called

" the cool mule"

I remember going to see that at the Drive in

i didnt see it for a few years after the release

i liked jimmy stewart

one of my all time favorite lines is from

the good the bad and the ugly

eastwood says "you see in this world there are 2 kinds of people my friend those with loaded guns and those who dig - you dig"

--LOL

one of my all time favorite lines is from

the good the bad and the ugly

eastwood says "you see in this world there are 2 kinds of people my friend those with loaded guns and those who dig - you dig"

--LOL
I think I watched about ten minutes of that movie and bits and pieces when someone else was watching it and I walked through the living room like last week when my wife of all people was kinda sorta watching it. For her I think it was more background noise as she played on her laptop, I was in my office watching something else on my computer.

Forum List

Back