Which one of these careers can work with me

Based on some of the wildly prejudicial comments you've made here on this message board, just against Black people, you probably shouldn't be working with the public.

Nursing is a highly regulated field and nurses work long shifts primarily on their feet - anywhere from 8 to 12 hours or more per shift.

If pain is a normal part of your existence why don't you get a job that allows you to work remotely and make a lot of money without having to spend the bulk of your day interacting with others.

Also, why the interest/desire to work in healthcare with emphasis on "care"?
I am Jewish

Rad tech- X rays , Cat scan or MRI - very little people contact and good pay
Who told you that lie? I spent 2 years in a school of radiography split between classroom instruction and 1800 hours of on-the-job training. With the possible exception of working in an outpatient clinic, a radiographer has to deal one-on-one with patients all day, every day, and that includes a lot of unassisted lifting of patients who cannot help much, if at all.

MRI is a bit better but you still have a lot of physicality involved with getting ill patients on and off the table. The reason I had to retire was that I injured my back to the point of having 2 major lumbar surgeries as well as 3 cervical surgeries. That job is best for young, fit, active folks.

If you want a job where you don't have to move people daily, often without assistance, try a program for Respiratory therapy or a medical lab technologist. Most interactions in both of those fields amount to meeting, identifying the patient and either drawing blood or preparing and administering breathing treatments while the patient is in a bed or wheelchair.

Don't misunderstand, I LOVED doing MRI and enjoyed the interaction with patients but facts are facts and from one day to the next you'd be dealing with little or even NO physical help in transferring - usually overweight - patients. I'd also do some reading into what kinds of procedures you'll have to train in. Not everyone has what it takes to poke a plastic catheter into a patient's rectum and then help him/her roll around on a hard table surface while taking multiple images.

I went to a medical private college and we discussed several careers

I had to pull out of physical therapy assistance from another place due to chronic lower back pain

1) Rad tech- X rays , Cat scan or MRI - very little people contact and good pay

2) respiratory therapist - must assist in life and death situations in a very timely fast manner . Excellent pay . Must be quick on feet

3) Nursing- helping and carrying for the sick
Lots of X-rays to take home...

Who told you that lie? I spent 2 years in a school of radiography split between classroom instruction and 1800 hours of on-the-job training. With the possible exception of working in an outpatient clinic, a radiographer has to deal one-on-one with patients all day, every day, and that includes a lot of unassisted lifting of patients who cannot help much, if at all.

MRI is a bit better but you still have a lot of physicality involved with getting ill patients on and off the table. The reason I had to retire was that I injured my back to the point of having 2 major lumbar surgeries as well as 3 cervical surgeries. That job is best for young, fit, active folks.

If you want a job where you don't have to move people daily, often without assistance, try a program for Respiratory therapy or a medical lab technologist. Most interactions in both of those fields amount to meeting, identifying the patient and either drawing blood or preparing and administering breathing treatments while the patient is in a bed or wheelchair.

Don't misunderstand, I LOVED doing MRI and enjoyed the interaction with patients but facts are facts and from one day to the next you'd be dealing with little or even NO physical help in transferring - usually overweight - patients. I'd also do some reading into what kinds of procedures you'll have to train in. Not everyone has what it takes to poke a plastic catheter into a patient's rectum and then help him/her roll around on a hard table surface while taking multiple images.

Wow !! Your job caused you severe back and neck injuries??
Omg 😳. Are you stIll in pain

How do you see me as a nurse ?? Would you trust me giving you badly needed oxygen as a therapist
If your back is an ongoing issue then the only one of those fields you'd want would be respiratory therapy. Don't worry, the allied health education is good enough to prepare you for anything you'd be required to do but before I signed on, I'd advise spending an observation day or two so you can follow a pro around and see what their day is like. IIRC there is a fair bit of chemistry you have to take as well as pharmacology interactions and so forth. I seriously consider being an RT but couldn't get past my gag reflex when hearing the sound of a wall-mounted suction device vacuuming out phlegm from patient throats. :(

Lab techs require more classroom training but if you are the kind of person who wants everything to be organized "just so" then the Lab is the place to be. You learn to operate high-tech devices that test samples and identify disease processes - by way of your Pathologist/MD. Very little to no lifting of patients. The closest interaction is done by phlebotomists who draw blood from veins - or arteries (occasionally).

Wow !! Your job caused you severe back and neck injuries??
Omg 😳. Are you stIll in pain
Not nearly as bad as it was but I had a couple of lumbar fusions and three surgeries for bulging cervical discs. It was my own fault. I didn't take care of staying strong and flexible and I gained weight also. That was a recipe for disaster. Like I said, I LOVED the job, I just couldn't hack it physically after about 15 years.

I went to a medical private college and we discussed several careers

I had to pull out of physical therapy assistance from another place due to chronic lower back pain

1) Rad tech- X rays , Cat scan or MRI - very little people contact and good pay

2) respiratory therapist - must assist in life and death situations in a very timely fast manner . Excellent pay . Must be quick on feet

3) Nursing- helping and carrying for the sick
4) Sit with old people in their home.

Or , better still , be a Cemetry guard .

Fun fact: I got turned down for a job as a city grave digger once. Now allegedly they wanted to hire me but couldn't because my brother worked in different part of same department and there was a fear that eventually one of us could be promoted in department to be over the other but why did they bother to interview me if they knew they couldn't hire me.... He was in charge of the purty flower beds in the median strips.

oh wow you were a notary.....the lady at the grocery store is one too....

I thought it was a very important job . I had to check Driver licenses, I had to read affidavids and I had to check signatures. It seemed important to me and I enjoyed my work

Forum List

Back