Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hyundai

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kia

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Others (please specify)

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
I love my 1955 Mercedes-Benz 300 SLR Uhlenhaut Coupé but it sucks for a Home Depot run. I hate sticking 2x4s out the windows, particularly when its raining... ; - )
I have a couple of other vehicles more capable of the hauling. That first generation boxster doesn't even have a glove box. lol

I have a couple of other vehicles more capable of the hauling. That first generation boxster doesn't even have a glove box. lol
That was a joke, you know. I just asked Google for the most expensive car ever. The MB I listed just sold at Sotheby's for $135 million.

That was a joke, you know. I just asked Google for the most expensive car ever. The MB I listed just sold at Sotheby's for $135 million.
Ah, I'm not a collector and the 986 boxster is not $100 K car. I bought mine with only 45,000 miles and 20 years old for $21K. It's now 23 years old and has about 46,000 miles on it.

Why? Why force it? Why rush it? I have a $22K 4cyl and Gas stations exist all over the USA within 250 miles at the extreme. No one needs to pay for charging stations for those who want to play with an EV of their own choosing.

We'll use fusion power to generate electricity with which we will electrolyze water and capture both the hydrogen and oxygen and then store and burn them both in the car for perfect combustion.
Maybe. Both those gases can be very dangerous and fusion is still a ways off. Teleportation might do the job.

Why? Why force it? Why rush it? I have a $22K 4cyl and Gas stations exist all over the USA within 250 miles at the extreme. No one needs to pay for charging stations for those who want to play with an EV of their own choosing.

Don’t worry Louise. They are still building gas stations. Nobody is gonna take away your gas powered car.

1 billion people + laws encouraging EVs = BIG market.
In the UK, as from 1st January 2024, 22% of a car manufacturers sales must be EV, or they get fined £15,000 per vehicle that they are short by. If they do well one year, they can carry the credit over to the next etc.. But, why buy an EV because the 2030 deadline on new cars has been pushed back to 2035!!

And the biggest problem is, EV sales are slumping and the vast majority of sales are fleet/companies.

Even the government want to speed up car manufacturers to go bust.

What a fucking mess and this is called encouraging!!

In the UK, as from 1st January 2024, 22% of a car manufacturers sales must be EV, or they get fined £15,000 per vehicle that they are short by. If they do well one year, they can carry the credit over to the next etc.. But, why buy an EV because the 2030 deadline on new cars has been pushed back to 2035!!

And the biggest problem is, EV sales are slumping and the vast majority of sales are fleet/companies.

Even the government want to speed up car manufacturers to go bust.

What a fucking mess and this is called encouraging!!
Gov't should encouraging EVs since they are the way of the future but I'm not so sure that they know enough to mandate EVs. There are many pros to EV but one I rarely hear about is the same one that let jet engines replace piston ones on air planes, they are simple and easy to maintain. Keeping a gas or diesel engine running is a nightmare as they are very complex compared to electric motors.

Gov't should encouraging EVs since they are the way of the future but I'm not so sure that they know enough to mandate EVs. There are many pros to EV but one I rarely hear about is the same one that let jet engines replace piston ones on air planes, they are simple and easy to maintain. Keeping a gas or diesel engine running is a nightmare as they are very complex compared to electric motors.
ICE vehicles are easy to maintain and run, there's over 100 years of infrastructure to help. The difference being, a repair on an EV usually results in a write off at the quotation stage. That just explodes insurance prices. So EV's are already not affordable to middle class and below, but the insurance problem etc.. puts the nail in the coffin.

How on earth the pro EV clan expect tradesmen that can't charge at home, electric vans at double the cost with 1/6th of the range, and no capability to tow, expect to survive with no transport. So when people come to buy a house or home repairs, expect to pay double, or live in a mud hut. And I say that from a current construction background.

ICE vehicles are easy to maintain and run, there's over 100 years of infrastructure to help. The difference being, a repair on an EV usually results in a write off at the quotation stage. That just explodes insurance prices. So EV's are already not affordable to middle class and below, but the insurance problem etc.. puts the nail in the coffin.

How on earth the pro EV clan expect tradesmen that can't charge at home, electric vans at double the cost with 1/6th of the range, and no capability to tow, expect to survive with no transport. So when people come to buy a house or home repairs, expect to pay double, or live in a mud hut. And I say that from a current construction background.
The EV will gradually replace the ICE but there will likely be niches for ICE for quite awhile. From Kelly Blue Book:

Electric cars (EVs) typically require less maintenance than vehicles with internal combustion engines. The electric motors that propel EVs have fewer moving parts than gas engines. Having fewer components means they need minimal maintenance.​
An electric car will last as long as a car with an internal combustion engine (ICE), if not longer, because electric vehicles (EVs) don’t have all the mechanical components of an ICE vehicle. In other words, there are more things that can wear out or go wrong in an ICE car than in an EV.​
The nationwide average age of a car is now 12.5 years. It’s a number that has been steadily rising for the past few years. Electric cars are a recent enough development that we don’t have a deep well of data to draw from. However, there is no reason to believe that an EV won’t last as long as an ICE vehicle if taken care of. Read on to learn more about EV battery life.​
Since the introduction of hybrids more than 20 years ago, battery replacement may well top the list of concerns for the electric-curious. This concern has only deepened with the proliferation of fully electric vehicles with larger, costlier batteries. Experts place the percentage of the battery cost of a new EV at an average of 30% to 40% of the car’s total cost. According to Digital Trends, you can expect to pay between $4,000 and $20,000 for a replacement battery. For example, a replacement battery for a Tesla Model 3 costs about $13,500 as of this writing.​
The good news is that these batteries can last from 15 to 20 years. Consequently, the original batteries could outlive the electric vehicles they power. Most EV batteries are warranty protected for a minimum of eight years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. The rest are covered for 10 years or 150,000 miles, or even more.​

The EV will gradually replace the ICE but there will likely be niches for ICE for quite awhile. From Kelly Blue Book:

Electric cars (EVs) typically require less maintenance than vehicles with internal combustion engines. The electric motors that propel EVs have fewer moving parts than gas engines. Having fewer components means they need minimal maintenance.​
An electric car will last as long as a car with an internal combustion engine (ICE), if not longer, because electric vehicles (EVs) don’t have all the mechanical components of an ICE vehicle. In other words, there are more things that can wear out or go wrong in an ICE car than in an EV.​
The nationwide average age of a car is now 12.5 years. It’s a number that has been steadily rising for the past few years. Electric cars are a recent enough development that we don’t have a deep well of data to draw from. However, there is no reason to believe that an EV won’t last as long as an ICE vehicle if taken care of. Read on to learn more about EV battery life.​
Since the introduction of hybrids more than 20 years ago, battery replacement may well top the list of concerns for the electric-curious. This concern has only deepened with the proliferation of fully electric vehicles with larger, costlier batteries. Experts place the percentage of the battery cost of a new EV at an average of 30% to 40% of the car’s total cost. According to Digital Trends, you can expect to pay between $4,000 and $20,000 for a replacement battery. For example, a replacement battery for a Tesla Model 3 costs about $13,500 as of this writing.​
The good news is that these batteries can last from 15 to 20 years. Consequently, the original batteries could outlive the electric vehicles they power. Most EV batteries are warranty protected for a minimum of eight years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. The rest are covered for 10 years or 150,000 miles, or even more.​
The debate about the number of parts of ICE vehicles v EV's is not disputed or argued. The argument is, if you prang your vehicle or get a bad fault, the quote can often write your vehicle off. Have a bump at no fault of your own, and it's very much on the cards the insurance company will write your vehicle off, they don't want to take the chance to let that battery continue.

And let's be honest, there's probably more individual batteries in an EV then parts in an ICE engine. It only takes one rouge individual battery to write the car off.

The debate about the number of parts of ICE vehicles v EV's is not disputed or argued. The argument is, if you prang your vehicle or get a bad fault, the quote can often write your vehicle off. Have a bump at no fault of your own, and it's very much on the cards the insurance company will write your vehicle off, they don't want to take the chance to let that battery continue.
The cost of insuring electric cars in England is indeed higher, but the difference is not as substantial as the headlines would suggest. The EV was actually cheaper to cover in one case.

And let's be honest, there's probably more individual batteries in an EV then parts in an ICE engine. It only takes one rouge individual battery to write the car off.
If true, this is likely a function of the newness of EVs. It should be easy to detect a single bad battery and just replace that one.

The cost of insuring electric cars in England is indeed higher, but the difference is not as substantial as the headlines would suggest. The EV was actually cheaper to cover in one case.

If true, this is likely a function of the newness of EVs. It should be easy to detect a single bad battery and just replace that one.

If it were that easy they would already be doing it.

What are the differences you refer to? I own a hybrid and my daughter owns a plug-in hybrid so I'm somewhat familiar.
How they are designed to power a car (generate electricity on the fly versus stored) which leads to the size difference of their batteries. Not really an apples to apples comparison.

How they are designed to power a car (generate electricity on the fly versus stored) which leads to the size difference of their batteries. Not really an apples to apples comparison.
Apples come in all sizes and they are all still apples. Are the batteries themselves any different? I see a time in the near future when batteries are standard sizes and can be swapped easily, like today's C or D batteries.

Forum List

Back