Where have all the Conservatives Gone?

My guess is ignore or deflect will be the preferred route.

Oh, are you suggesting that the left has neither ability nor courage?

We shall see.

I think a number on the left have both ability and courage.

What is difficult for the left, however, at least from what I seem to observe, is an inability to articulate and/or defend a point of view without attacking or defaming somebody on the right and/or including a lot of ignoratio elenchi.

And that may be why there seem to be fewer 'conservatives'. Threads get merged with others or buried in a lot of antagonistic nonsense which generally bores everybody to the point the thread is abandoned. And then they whine if a new thread on the same or similar topic is started. :)

There is still much to discuss and still much to learn out there. I hope we will continue to do that as those elections are coming up. And given the legislation already in the works and still to come up, how we vote this time may have further reaching consequences than has been seen in any previous election.

We shall see.

I will suggest that many have neither. It takes no courage or ability to be able to call names or derail a thread because you don't like what you're hearing.

Look at how many threads that bozo Sangha has chased good discussion out of, even good discussion from the left, because people are just saying fuck this and leaving the thread after so long and then he/she claims a victory and further dooshes up the board. He/she doesn't stand alone in doing that either.

However, there are some people who have courage , ability, and integrity on the left as well. So to lump ALL lefties in with Sangha and his merry band of idiots wouldn't be fair.

We shall see.

What is difficult for the left, however, at least from what I seem to observe, is an inability to articulate and/or defend a point of view without attacking or defaming somebody on the right and/or including a lot of ignoratio elenchi.

And that may be why there seem to be fewer 'conservatives'. Threads get merged with others or buried in a lot of antagonistic nonsense which generally bores everybody to the point the thread is abandoned. And then they whine if a new thread on the same or similar topic is started. :)

There is still much to discuss and still much to learn out there. I hope we will continue to do that as those elections are coming up. And given the legislation already in the works and still to come up, how we vote this time may have further reaching consequences than has been seen in any previous election.

Foxy, my 'ability and courage' comment was both tongue in cheek, and designed to have our left-wing friends join the fray with all the ferocity that they can muster!

I always hope that the left will not become frustrated, and leave, because our side is armed with thought, reason, and the weight of history.

We shall see.

I will suggest that many have neither. It takes no courage or ability to be able to call names or derail a thread because you don't like what you're hearing.

Look at how many threads that bozo Sangha has chased good discussion out of, even good discussion from the left, because people are just saying fuck this and leaving the thread after so long and then he/she claims a victory and further dooshes up the board. He/she doesn't stand alone in doing that either.

However, there are some people who have courage , ability, and integrity on the left as well. So to lump ALL lefties in with Sangha and his merry band of idiots wouldn't be fair.

Welcome to the board, Conhog.

"It takes no courage or ability to be able to call names or derail a thread because you don't like what you're hearing."

So true, but it is a signature of the left...even though some of our brethren engage in same.

What you write echoes the following by Melanie Phillips, in "The World Turned Upside Down:"

…various ideas in the popular discourse are presented as unchallengeable truths, but are, in fact, ideologies in which evidence is manipulated, twisted and distorted to ‘prove’ their thesis. And since such ideas are assumed to be the sole and exclusive truth, it cannot permit any challenge: believers must maintain at all costs, the integrity of the falsity. Challenges must be repelled by vituperation, by coercive means, by distain, by disregard. Reason is replaced by bullying, intimidation, and by the suppression of debate.

We shall see.

Foxy, my 'ability and courage' comment was both tongue in cheek, and designed to have our left-wing friends join the fray with all the ferocity that they can muster!

I always hope that the left will not become frustrated, and leave, because our side is armed with thought, reason, and the weight of history.

Oh I know. You just gave me a good opening to get in my point. :)

The superficiality of this medium, when it is evident, is sometimes very frustrating. On the other hand, it has been interesting to observe how much those on the left and right actually agree on when they can set aside prejudices, name calling, hostilities, and actually focus on a specific issue.

All of whch of course supports the general consensus that most of us are more right of center than left. And probably few of us are wacko wingnut extremists in the way we view our everyday world.

We shall see.

"It takes no courage or ability to be able to call names or derail a thread because you don't like what you're hearing."

So true, but it is a signature of the left...even though some of our brethren engage in same.

What you write echoes the following by Melanie Phillips, in "The World Turned Upside Down:"

…various ideas in the popular discourse are presented as unchallengeable truths, but are, in fact, ideologies in which evidence is manipulated, twisted and distorted to ‘prove’ their thesis. And since such ideas are assumed to be the sole and exclusive truth, it cannot permit any challenge: believers must maintain at all costs, the integrity of the falsity. Challenges must be repelled by vituperation, by coercive means, by distain, by disregard. Reason is replaced by bullying, intimidation, and by the suppression of debate.

Thank you for the welcome, and absolutely you would get no argument from me when claiming that some from the right practice the same tactics, it's just more prevalent on the left.

Thank you for the welcome, and absolutely you would get no argument from me when claiming that some from the right practice the same tactics, it's just more prevalent on the left.

Very true. I'm going to take this opportunity to post the Liberal Playbook, as it verifies what you just stated. (Modesty prevents me from identifiying the author)

1. Always be the first to accuse, and make certain to accuse the opponent of exactly what you are doing.
a. Every issue must by stated as one of Race-Gender-or Class. There is nothing else that matters

2. Refuse to accept the statements of any opposing view, from individuals or media, unless reliably liberal.

3. Always assure the opposition that you know what is better for the proletariat, even if there are polls that claim the opposite.
a. Assure the compliant that you are only looking out for their best interests, as in “look, it’s not about me…”
b. Claim the public has been ‘brainwashed,’ and politicians bought.

4. Be sure to you carry your ‘concern’ as though it was a hypodermic needle, but one filled with poison. Furrow your brow, look vaguely sad, (think Leon Panetta) but watch for opportunities to stab, to use abusive language, using your (imagined) superiority to allow you to do violence to the reputation of those who have alternative views.
a. Hey, there is nothing wrong with attacking personal traits, real or imagined. Alinsky: "Ridicule is man's most potent weapon. It is almost impossible to counterattack ridicule. Also, it infuriates the opposition, who then react to your advantage."
i. "Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it and polarize it."

5. If you find yourself in a debating ‘box,’ where the true answer will sink a liberal talking point, either
b. Claim that the question is ‘above my pay grade.’
c. Look astounded, and claim that the questioner is a racist, sexist or homophobe. Or fascist, or, always good, nazi.
d. Make up any term as opprobrium, as long as it sounds ominous.
d. Learn phrases such as ‘it’s time to move on,” or ‘let’s put this behind us.”
e. This was started by a [conservative, republican, earlier] administration.
f. If all else fails, shrug your shoulders and say “I’m only interested in discourse.”
g. If and when totally busted, jam hands down into side pockets, gaze up at the sky, whistle softly, and amble off into the sunset.

6. Claim to misunderstand, obfuscate, deflect and change the subject, and, if all else fails, allege that you misspoke.
a. Remember, left-wingers may make a ‘mistake,’ for right-wingers, it is a lie!
b. When relating a series of events that lead to a conclusion, if it is a right-wing conclusion, we must never see the connection!
c. Any exposure of detrimental information must be referred to as either ‘fear-tactics,’ or ‘red-baiting.’
d. No matter how strong the opposition argument or data, always respond with “you falsely claimed…” or “I exposed your lies…” of “I destroyed your argument…” etc.

7. Never, never criticize in any way any government or movement that is totalitarian, homicidal or anti-American.
a. Claim to idolize despots and tyrants. And always state how their people love them.
b. The corollary applies: never support traditional American values. Important terms: imperialist, oppressor, occupied.
c. Deny atrocities by tyrants. If not possible, explain they were necessary. Finally, justify them, and, show how America was ultimately at fault.
d. Support government officials and appointees.
I. This does not apply to uniformed government employees such as police or military.
e. When endorsing a plan that has clearly failed in the past, it is entirely appropriate to maintain a cognitive disconnection from the failures, by claiming:
1. it wasn’t tried long enough
2. enough money wasn’t provided
3. or, the ever-popular: “It’s different this time.”

8. Remember to spend appropriate time in front of the mirror practicing outrage, shock, and disbelief, or, and best, a sarcastic sneer.

9. Remember, as a liberal, you never have to apologize, be accurate, nor have any knowledge. No matter how many times your talking points are shown to be wrong, continue to repeat them.

10. Remember the gullible and grumbling always identify with vague terms like ‘hope’ ‘change’ ‘new’ ‘empathy’ and ‘better.’
a. There is, at no time, a requirement that arguments, statements, or positions be, in any dimension, partnered with either truth or reality.
b. “A deliberately-conceived ‘myth’ should be used to sway crowds.” Georges Sorel.

The superficiality of this medium, when it is evident, is sometimes very frustrating. On the other hand, it has been interesting to observe how much those on the left and right actually agree on when they can set aside prejudices, name calling, hostilities, and actually focus on a specific issue.

All of whch of course supports the general consensus that most of us are more right of center than left. And probably few of us are wacko wingnut extremists in the way we view our everyday world.

Oh, no!

Foxy...do you realize what you just said???

"...it has been interesting to observe how much those on the left and right actually agree on when they can set aside prejudices, name calling, hostilities, and actually focus on a specific issue."

What will we do if everyone agreed? Oh, the humanity!

The USMB would become 'The Big Rock Candy Mountain'!

Oh, no!

Foxy...do you realize what you just said???

"...it has been interesting to observe how much those on the left and right actually agree on when they can set aside prejudices, name calling, hostilities, and actually focus on a specific issue."

What will we do if everyone agreed? Oh, the humanity!

The USMB would become 'The Big Rock Candy Mountain'!

LOL. Little danger of that happening I think :)

There will always be those on the left who are willing to give up choices, options, personal freedoms in return for less risk, more personal security while those on the right are willing to accept more risk and fewer guarantees in favor of freedom and unrestricted opportunity.

There will always be those on the left who will favor good motives as sufficient reason for any policy while those on the right see effectiveness and results as the more humane goal.

There will always be those on the left who scorn traditional values and concepts while those on the right recognize the worth of preserving the same.

There will always be those on the left who are unable to see the wisdom and effectiveness of the Founders' intent with the Constitution while those on the Right believe that the Constitution, as the Founders intended it, is the only hope to sustain the miracle that America has been.

There will always be those on the left who see Americans as not deserving of their prosperity, military might, or pride in flag and country while those on the Right understand the high cost that has enabled America to be the nation that it is and also see that many other nations have prospered greatly via our treasure and American blood.

But evenso, here and there, breaking everything down to its simplest components, I think we all might still agree on more than we disagree.

I and others like me never went anywhere....Just most of us shun the term "conservative" (whatever the hell that's supposed to mean anymore) since the leftist neocon turds hijacked the handle.

Next silly question?

Since you're just as ignorant as any conservative (ie "neo-cons" are not liberals, they are rightwingers. Cheney is a neo-con. Rumsfeld is a neo-con. You are a moron) why shouldn't we consider you a conservative?

You fucking idiot.

"Neo-con" refers to liberals who embrace some right wing values...such as military power.

Morons like yourself have taken the definition and instead of just applying it where it is appropriate, out of laziness and ignorance, have started using it to define something completely different.

It's liberal eubonics. You've done it to the terms "marriage", "force", "freedom", "truth", "fact" and "intelligence" as well. Because you're so fucking stupid, lazy and dishonest, you've completely destroyed the language and ruined our ability to intelligently converse with one another, as any word at any time can mean something completely different than what it actually does mean!

It's all about relativity to you guys. That's the way tyrants think and work.
It's liberal eubonics.

I prefer the term I coined: Libberish.

Liberalism and gibberish combined to compose a language of non-nonsensical, often conflicting incoherence that sound like sentient speech... but really isn't.

Since you're just as ignorant as any conservative (ie "neo-cons" are not liberals, they are rightwingers. Cheney is a neo-con. Rumsfeld is a neo-con. You are a moron) why shouldn't we consider you a conservative?

You fucking idiot.

"Neo-con" refers to liberals who embrace some right wing values...such as military power.

Morons like yourself have taken the definition and instead of just applying it where it is appropriate, out of laziness and ignorance, have started using it to define something completely different.

It's liberal eubonics. You've done it to the terms "marriage", "force", "freedom", "truth", "fact" and "intelligence" as well. Because you're so fucking stupid, lazy and dishonest, you've completely destroyed the language and ruined our ability to intelligently converse with one another, as any word at any time can mean something completely different than what it actually does mean!

It's liberal eubonics.

Liberalism and gibberish combined to compose a language of non-nonsensical, often conflicting incoherence that sound like sentient speech... but really isn't.

You are wrong sir, there is in fact a cure for Ameriphobia. it's called a one way ticket to any country of your choice, you leave your US citizenship at the gate. I am happy to provide such for any who are unhappy living here.

You fucking idiot.

It's liberal eubonics.

You are wrong sir, there is in fact a cure for Ameriphobia. it's called a one way ticket to any country of your choice, you leave your US citizenship at the gate. I am happy to provide such for any who are unhappy living here.
I wouldn't mind having a second home in France, maybe Spain.

I think maybe you missed that part of my statement.

I think maybe you missed that part of my statement.

Just trying to figure out if i have Ameriphobia or not. I heard it can be caught by having sex with a French person, but maybe that's just a rumor.

I digress.

AmericanLoveItOrLeaveIt-StatueOfLib.jpg

Fuck yeah! :doubt:

Although that is like institutionalizing the Ameriphobiacs, it doesn't really cure them. They are still afraid of and hate America and her original values... they're now just abroad or in a nation they prefer to live in.

I'm all for trying it till we run out of Ameriphobes though. LOL

Although that is like institutionalizing the Ameriphobiacs, it doesn't really cure them. They are still afraid of and hate America and her original values... they're now just abroad or in a nation they prefer to live in.

I'm all for trying it till we run out of Ameriphobes though. LOL

Well, its sort of like locking your crazy uncle in the basement. The crazy bastard is still crazy but at least he aint bothering you.

Forum List

Back