Where are the protests?

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."-- James Madison,

Texas had a gross state product (GSP) of $1.09 trillion, the second highest in the U.S.[129][130] Its GSP is comparable to the GDP of India or Canada which are ranked 12th and 11th worldwide. Texas's economy is the third largest in the world of country subdivisions behind California and Tokyo Prefecture. Its Per Capita personal income in 2007 was $37,083, ranking 22nd in the nation. Texas's large population, abundance of natural resources, and diverse population and geography have led to a large and diverse economy. Since oil was discovered, the state's economy has reflected the state of the petroleum industry. In recent times, urban centers of the state have increased in size, containing two-thirds of the population in 2005. The state's economic growth has led to excessive urban sprawl and its associated symptoms.[131]

Texas has a "low taxes, low services" reputation.[120] According to the Tax Foundation, Texans' state and local tax burdens rank among the lowest in the nation, 7th lowest nationally; state and local taxes cost $3,580 per capita, or 8.7% of resident incomes.[132] Texas is one of six states that lack a state income tax.[132][133] Instead, the state collects revenue from a state sales tax, which is charged at the rate of 6.25%.[132] Texas is a "tax donor state"; in 2005, for every dollar Texans paid to the federal government in federal income taxes, the state received approximately $0.94 in benefits.[132]

In 2004, Site Selection Magazine ranked Texas as the most business friendly state in the nation. This ranking stems in part from the state's three-billion-dollar Texas Enterprise Fund.[134] The state holds the most Fortune 500 company headquarters in the United States

I have a fondness for Texas especially San Antonio, my brother live there. The best mexican food I have ever had is there and it's one of the most beautiful cities I've had the pleasure of visiting. One of the things that stuck me about Texas is the pride it's residents have in their state and they call themselves Texans first as it should be. One of the things that stikes me most about Texas is that it always reminds me of the fact that this nation is a compact of states and Texas embodies that concept more than any other state including my own.

by the government of our health care, that's why no protests, except that there are millions protesting the take over. Americans want reform of the current system the reform taking place in the private sector. Obama has totally misread this issue and thinks that Americans gave him a mandate to take it over. That's simply not the case and it is showing in the polling data and in these town hall meetings. I don't care how you libs want to paint it, the facts are in, this is a no-go.

In fact, Obama does not know the facts of his own bill, the people know more whats in this bill than he does.

He knows the facts, all right, but ironically it is no longer "his" bill. In fact, I think he wishes he hadn't turned the whole thing over to Congress to write, even though constitutionally it was the correct thing to do (advise and consent). Now it's become such a mess it won't fly, and even if it did, would occupy the headlines and dominate all other priority issues as the "mess" began building from its rickety foundation upward.

The latest word from the Finance Committee, which is where the whole health care reform issue currently resides, is --

washingtonpost.com

The emerging Finance Committee bill would shave about $100 billion off the projected trillion-dollar cost of the legislation over the next decade and eventually provide coverage to 94 percent of Americans, according to participants in the talks. It would expand Medicaid, crack down on insurers, abandon the government insurance option that President Obama is seeking and, for the first time, tax health-care benefits under the most generous plans. Backers say the bill would also offer the only concrete plan before Congress for reining in the skyrocketing cost of federal health programs over the long term.

I can almost guarantee no bill will get passed containing that provision.

I see so you can't argue the facts on your own, you rely on some website to do your thinking for you. And I've already witnessed folks debunking the so-called facts from Politifact.

I take you do have biases.

Using your logic, no facts would ever exist, as one can only reach back so far for the original source. You're basically suggesting if I can't reach back far enough for sources and rely on those, then I should just make up stuff.
:cuckoo:

No what I'm saying is, instead of whining about where the article originated or from whence it came, argue the facts presented in said argument.

You claimed I used a biased source, well I'd argue that every source is biased. But that doesn't take away the facts (that can either be proven true or disproven) that are presented. You elect to trust in a website to make that judgement for you.

Politifact has been shown to be biased, it has been shown in this thread alone to be inaccurate. But yet you elect to use that as a reputable source, while discrediting the source I cited. By the way I only offered the source to support my argument, it wasn't the basis for my argument.

Case in point:
Biased PolitiFact.com Covers for ACORN, Attacks Michele Bachmann | NewsBusters.org

Lone -- this is a looooooooong thread, and I have argued your specific points right down to their pinheads. Go back and read some of them. I'm not going to keep repeating myself. Got it?

I don't begrudge Texas it's economic wealth. It's where the oil is; it's where the oil industry is and all the supporting businesses (big and small). But all the wealth in the world doesn't mean it's put to the best use for its citizens.

When was the last time you lived in Texas?

I'm not being critical of Texas. Don't get your panties all in a wad. We know you think your state it the biggest baddest and bestist. But I did live there for about 8 months from 1977 through 1978 when my husband was on TDY, so I can't be a fair judge about its political climate. The people then were friendly, and the restaurants second only to New Orleans. The best BBQ ever! But it was hot hot hot and humid, way too much traffic (made LA freeways look like country roads on Christmas Day :eek:), so it really wasn't a place I put on my list of places to retire.

I hate to burst your bubble, but I don't wear panties.

I simply asked how long have you lived here that would make you a good judge on how our wealth has done for it's citizens.

I'll give you some facts.

Texas has the highest number of Fortune 500 company headquarters in the United States, fifty-eight. This has been attributed to both the growth in population in Texas and the rise of oil prices in 2005.

Houston has the second highest number of Fortune 500 companies in the US, second to New York.

Texas had the second largest workforce in the United States, with almost 11 million civilian workers.

As the largest exporter of goods in the United States, Texas currently grosses more than $100 billion a year in trade with other nations

Texas's growth can be attributed to the availability of jobs, the low cost of housing, the lack of a personal state income tax, the quality of higher education, low taxation and limited regulation of business, a central geographic location, a limited government, favorable weather, and plentiful supplies of oil and natural gas.

There are currently 35 billionaires residing in Texas today. Dallas has 27 billionaires, the most of any city in Texas.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."-- James Madison,

Texas had a gross state product (GSP) of $1.09 trillion, the second highest in the U.S.[129][130] Its GSP is comparable to the GDP of India or Canada which are ranked 12th and 11th worldwide. Texas's economy is the third largest in the world of country subdivisions behind California and Tokyo Prefecture. Its Per Capita personal income in 2007 was $37,083, ranking 22nd in the nation. Texas's large population, abundance of natural resources, and diverse population and geography have led to a large and diverse economy. Since oil was discovered, the state's economy has reflected the state of the petroleum industry. In recent times, urban centers of the state have increased in size, containing two-thirds of the population in 2005. The state's economic growth has led to excessive urban sprawl and its associated symptoms.[131]

Texas has a "low taxes, low services" reputation.[120] According to the Tax Foundation, Texans' state and local tax burdens rank among the lowest in the nation, 7th lowest nationally; state and local taxes cost $3,580 per capita, or 8.7% of resident incomes.[132] Texas is one of six states that lack a state income tax.[132][133] Instead, the state collects revenue from a state sales tax, which is charged at the rate of 6.25%.[132] Texas is a "tax donor state"; in 2005, for every dollar Texans paid to the federal government in federal income taxes, the state received approximately $0.94 in benefits.[132]

In 2004, Site Selection Magazine ranked Texas as the most business friendly state in the nation. This ranking stems in part from the state's three-billion-dollar Texas Enterprise Fund.[134] The state holds the most Fortune 500 company headquarters in the United States

I have a fondness for Texas especially San Antonio, my brother live there. The best mexican food I have ever had is there and it's one of the most beautiful cities I've had the pleasure of visiting. One of the things that stuck me about Texas is the pride it's residents have in their state and they call themselves Texans first as it should be. One of the things that stikes me most about Texas is that it always reminds me of the fact that this nation is a compact of states and Texas embodies that concept more than any other state including my own.

Ahhh, Mexican food... why is it if there are so many illegal immigrants spread out all across the country, you can still only get decent Mexican food in Texas or California (or thereabouts)?? I haven't had good Mexican food in 20 years, even though two restaurants have opened here claiming to be the real deal. Unfortunately, Taco Bell still has them beat.

Using your logic, no facts would ever exist, as one can only reach back so far for the original source. You're basically suggesting if I can't reach back far enough for sources and rely on those, then I should just make up stuff.
:cuckoo:

No what I'm saying is, instead of whining about where the article originated or from whence it came, argue the facts presented in said argument.

You claimed I used a biased source, well I'd argue that every source is biased. But that doesn't take away the facts (that can either be proven true or disproven) that are presented. You elect to trust in a website to make that judgement for you.

Politifact has been shown to be biased, it has been shown in this thread alone to be inaccurate. But yet you elect to use that as a reputable source, while discrediting the source I cited. By the way I only offered the source to support my argument, it wasn't the basis for my argument.

Case in point:
Biased PolitiFact.com Covers for ACORN, Attacks Michele Bachmann | NewsBusters.org

Lone -- this is a looooooooong thread, and I have argued your specific points right down to their pinheads. Go back and read some of them. I'm not going to keep repeating myself. Got it?

The only thing you argued was the source I used, while you yourself used a biased source.

Thankfully it's almost time for me to go feed my critters.

If you've repeated yourself it was for your benefit not mine!

When was the last time you lived in Texas?

I'm not being critical of Texas. Don't get your panties all in a wad. We know you think your state it the biggest baddest and bestist. But I did live there for about 8 months from 1977 through 1978 when my husband was on TDY, so I can't be a fair judge about its political climate. The people then were friendly, and the restaurants second only to New Orleans. The best BBQ ever! But it was hot hot hot and humid, way too much traffic (made LA freeways look like country roads on Christmas Day :eek:), so it really wasn't a place I put on my list of places to retire.

I hate to burst your bubble, but I don't wear panties.

I simply asked how long have you lived here that would make you a good judge on how our wealth has done for it's citizens.

I'll give you some facts.

Texas has the highest number of Fortune 500 company headquarters in the United States, fifty-eight. This has been attributed to both the growth in population in Texas and the rise of oil prices in 2005.

Houston has the second highest number of Fortune 500 companies in the US, second to New York.

Texas had the second largest workforce in the United States, with almost 11 million civilian workers.

As the largest exporter of goods in the United States, Texas currently grosses more than $100 billion a year in trade with other nations

Texas's growth can be attributed to the availability of jobs, the low cost of housing, the lack of a personal state income tax, the quality of higher education, low taxation and limited regulation of business, a central geographic location, a limited government, favorable weather, and plentiful supplies of oil and natural gas.

There are currently 35 billionaires residing in Texas today. Dallas has 27 billionaires, the most of any city in Texas.

:bowdown:
k0618000.jpg

are the people who want national health care the same people who are in favor of amnesty for Illegal aliens. These politicians just don't get it!!! We the voters are not in favor of either of these bills. I'll think about joining this national government health care system after the politicians and their families enroll in this system!!!!
You might as well call the Make A Wish Foundation and ask for a trip to Mars and back.

Government officials will always and forevermore consider themselves special and deserving of things that the common voter does receive. It won't matter whether we remain a free Republic or morph into a Marxist dictatorship. Those working for government under the guise of representing and protecting the common people will always consider themselves superior to those they are supposed to serve.

Obama and his widening band of followers will strive for complete control of every facet of our lives.

Ahhh, Mexican food... why is it if there are so many illegal immigrants spread out all across the country, you can still only get decent Mexican food in Texas or California (or thereabouts)?? I haven't had good Mexican food in 20 years, even though two restaurants have opened here claiming to be the real deal. Unfortunately, Taco Bell still has them beat.

I will say the same thing about Chinese Food. I love it, but I don't think there is a decent Chinese Food Restaurant East of the California border.

Immie

We have a lot of great places here in Arizona Maggie, but still doesn't top downtown San Antonio near the riverwalk. We went there this past year to vist my brother and I swear everytime I go they have to pull me out of that place. As I mentioned in my last post though the one thing about Texas that pretty clear to see is that it's citizens are very proud of their state and associate themselves as being from Texas. This to me is a reflection of what the constitution in action for all to see, perhaps this is why you see more so than perhaps any other state Texas pushing back on issues that deal with the 10th Amendment as a way to remind the Federal Govt. that we are the United States and not United America.

are the people who want national health care the same people who are in favor of amnesty for Illegal aliens. These politicians just don't get it!!! We the voters are not in favor of either of these bills. I'll think about joining this national government health care system after the politicians and their families enroll in this system!!!!
You might as well call the Make A Wish Foundation and ask for a trip to Mars and back.

Government officials will always and forevermore consider themselves special and deserving of things that the common voter does receive. It won't matter whether we remain a free Republic or morph into a Marxist dictatorship. Those working for government under the guise of representing and protecting the common people will always consider themselves superior to those they are supposed to serve.

Obama and his widening band of followers will strive for complete control of every facet of our lives.

I suppose we can take comfort in knowing it was even worse a hundred years or so ago when lawmakers could only be elected if they were white property owners, among other elitist qualifications. They have historically thought of themselves as being privileged.

I will say the same thing about Chinese Food. I love it, but I don't think there is a decent Chinese Food Restaurant East of the California border.

Immie
Come to Atlanta, Georgia. I can show you at least three!

I suppose we can take comfort in knowing it was even worse a hundred years or so ago when lawmakers could only be elected if they were white property owners, among other elitist qualifications. They have historically thought of themselves as being privileged.

That is precisely why this behavior will go on forever. It is human nature...just like greed, lust and jealousy.

Immie

Nor a good cheese steak north, west, or south of Pennsylvania or the Jersey Shore!

Immie

Really? I might just do that after all it is only about an 8 hour drive.

I really miss the good Chinese Food that we had in California.

Immie

We have a lot of great places here in Arizona Maggie, but still doesn't top downtown San Antonio near the riverwalk. We went there this past year to vist my brother and I swear everytime I go they have to pull me out of that place. As I mentioned in my last post though the one thing about Texas that pretty clear to see is that it's citizens are very proud of their state and associate themselves as being from Texas. This to me is a reflection of what the constitution in action for all to see, perhaps this is why you see more so than perhaps any other state Texas pushing back on issues that deal with the 10th Amendment as a way to remind the Federal Govt. that we are the United States and not United America.

I have no issues with proud Texans. Most people are proud of the states they were raised in, however. But when Texans begin talking about secession just because they want every other state and their citizens to react the way they do, it's overkill with respect to the 10th Amendment.

Immie

Really? I might just do that after all it is only about an 8 hour drive.

I really miss the good Chinese Food that we had in California.

Immie
Bring a bag of money. I'll buy the drinks...you buy the vittles.

Forum List

Back