When you do think we'll have our first non-religious president?

It is logical to be Catholic, and there are many very smart people who realized that, including scientists. I could get a list if you want to see it.

Thomas Jefferson, James Polk, or Abraham Lincoln.

Take your pick.
Jefferson was religious, he just didn't believe as a Christian believes. Lincoln was deeply religious, especially in his last years.
They were more spiritual than religious, and grew more so as the years passed. Jefferson loved Christ's teaching but rejected all miracles, priesthoods, etc. Lincoln's writings give no indication whatsoever that he believed in or hoped for life after death. Their use of the word "God" was not Abrahamic at all, but much more one of a Doom or Destiny that moved behind History and directed the actions of men.

Thomas Jefferson, James Polk, or Abraham Lincoln.

Take your pick.
Jefferson was religious, he just didn't believe as a Christian believes. Lincoln was deeply religious, especially in his last years.
They were more spiritual than religious, and grew more so as the years passed. Jefferson loved Christ's teaching but rejected all miracles, priesthoods, etc. Lincoln's writings give no indication whatsoever that he believed in or hoped for life after death. Their use of the word "God" was not Abrahamic at all, but much more one of a Doom or Destiny that moved behind History and directed the actions of men.
Just because someone is not a Christian does not mean they are not religious.

As for Lincoln, he did not like organized Christianity, but in true Christian Faith he had a personal relationship with God. Second Inaugural Address of March 1865: "Both [North and South] read the same Bible, and pray to the same God; and each invokes His aid against the other. It may seem strange that any men should dare to ask a just God's assistance in wringing their bread from the sweat of other men's faces; but let us judge not that we be not judged. The prayers of both could not be answered; that of neither has been answered fully. The Almighty has His own purposes."

Even more to the point was his reply when a minister from the North told the president he "hoped the Lord is on our side." Responded Lincoln, "I am not at all concerned about that. . . . But it is my constant anxiety and prayer that I and this nation should be on the Lord's side."

Haven't read the pages here but I'll go out on a limb and guess someone has already answered........................................... 'Barack Obama'?

-Geaux

Forum List

Back